C19: The Nineteenth Century Index
Nineteenth Century Index
Context-sensitive help available at each screen, top right.
For help using these indexes see: How do I find an article on my topic?
User tools and features
Includes a "My Archive" where users can register (with user name and password, after first creating a profile including e-mail address) to store searches.
1800-1900 (with additional coverage in some units as early as 1790 and as late as 1919).
Irregular, with the recent pattern suggesting one or two releases per year.
Draws on a variety of print and digital resources, including periodical and newspaper indexes, indexes to government publications, a directory of archival collections, and a catalog of books published during the period.
Type of coverage
Print counterpart or
Print counterparts include:
- Poole's Index to Periodical Literature (REF AI3.P7 1963 in Alexander, Camden, and Dana)
- Palmer's Index to the Times Newspaper (REF AI21.T5 in Alexander and Dana)
- Wellesley Index to Victorian Periodicals, 1824-1900 (REF Z2005.H6 in Alexander, Camden, and Dana)
- Subject Catalogue of the House of Commons Parliamentary Papers, 1801-1900 (DOCREFZ2019.C63 1988 in Alexander)
- Nineteenth Century Short Title Catalogue (REF Z2001.N72 1984-partial set-in Alexander);
- Directory of Archives and Manuscript Repositories in the United States (REF CD3020.D49 1988 in Alexander and Camden)
- National Union Catalog of Manuscript Collections (REF Z6620.U5N3 in Alexander, Camden, Dana, and Douglass).
Digital Counterparts include:
- American Periodical Series (RU-ONLINE)
- Periodicals Index Online (RU-ONLINE)
- American State Papers, 1789-1838 (RU-ONLINE)
- United States Congressional Serials Set, 1817-1901 (RU-ONLINE)
- British Periodicals Collection I & II (not held at Rutgers).
Vendor/electronic presentation provider