The ATLA Religion Database is an essential tool for the study of religion. It is the premier index to journal articles, book reviews, and collections of essays in all fields of religion. The fact that many publishers solicit the inclusion of their journals in ATLA RDB is indicative of the stature it has achieved in the community of religion scholars.
Journals are selected for inclusion according to their scholarly merit and scope. Journals representing all the major religious faiths, major denominations, and numerous language groups are included.
ATLA's indexing of multi-author works, such as Festschriften and conference proceedings, is unique among religion databases. Unlike indexes that catalog books of essays as a single entry, ATLA indexes each individual essay in such works.
For help using these indexes see: How do I find an article on my topic?
User tools and features
- Journal alerts and Search history alerts .
- Compatible with RefWorks.
- Saved searches. Free My EBSCOHost account required.
- A visual search tab allows the user to search efficiently across broad subjects, and then returns a visual map of results, organized by topic.
- Searchable cited references for 1,000 titles, author email addresses.
- Scriptures link on the tool bar provides a clickable menu of biblical books, chapters and verses indexed in the database. The SC [Scripture Citation] field tag in Advanced search permits similar searches.
The Database includes records for journal articles, articles in essays collections and book reviews in English and other languages.
A list of currently indexed serials is available from this ATLA product page.
Type of coverage
Contains full bibliographic citations [with some links to full text]. Contents are listed for many edited books and other compilations.
Print counterpart or
The ATLA Religion Database, produced by the American Theological Library Association, is a compilation of three print indexes:
Religion Index One: Periodicals (RIO®),
Religion Index Two: Multi-Author Works (RIT®), and
Index to Book Reviews in Religion (IBBR®)
Vendor/electronic presentation provider