How Do I...
...request materials from a Rutgers library?
To Request a Book
- Search the Library Catalog to find the record for the book you need. Confirm that the book has a Type-Circulate? code ending in "-Y" to indicate that it circulates outside of the library.
- Click on the "Book Delivery/Recall" button.
- Enter your NetID and password or, if you are do not have a Rutgers NetID and are eligible to request books, enter your Libraries barcode and PIN.
- Select the library where you want to pick up the book.
- For multi-volumes sets, place a check mark in the box beside the volume number for each volume that you want to recall. You can request more than one volume if you wish.
- Click on the "Submit" button.
- Use the "Item Special Request" button to request books under special circumstances:
- You need a book delivered to a Rutgers law library or off-campus pickup site,
- The item has a Status of ON-ORDER,
- The item is in a noncirculating library (e.g., ART, JAZZ, SPCOL/UA) or has a Type-Circulate? code ending in "-N" and you need delivery to a campus in a different geographic region (i.e., Camden, New Brunswick/Piscataway, or Newark) for 5 days of In-Library use.
- You will be notified by e-mail when your book becomes available for pick-up.
- If all Rutgers copies of the item you need are:
try getting it using
- CHECKED-OUT, or
- in a non-circulating library or collection at Rutgers,
To Request an Article
- Search the Library Catalog
to find the record for the journal that you need.
- If the article you need is not available in electronic format at Rutgers, click on the "Article Delivery" option.
- Log on to the Interlibrary Loan and Article Delivery Services webpage.
On the main menu under New Request select "Article Request."
- Fill out the entire form, providing as much information about the article as possible.
- Articles are delivered electronically as PDF documents.
You will be notified by e-mail when your article is available.
To Cancel a Request
- To cancel a book request, write to
and include your full name and the titles of the items you wish to cancel.
Library staff will cancel your request and update library records.
- To cancel an article request, logon to the Interlibrary Loan and Article Delivery Services
webpage. Select "Outstanding Requests," find the article request you wish to cancel and click
on its transaction number in the left-hand column. Click on "Cancel Request" at the top of the
Transaction Information screen. Your cancelled request is removed from "Outstanding Requests"
and can be viewed under "Cancelled Requests."
For more information about delivery of
materials in the collections of the Rutgers University Libraries,
Rutgers Delivery Service (RDS).