Places & Spaces: Libraries & Centers: Special Collections and University Archives: Manuscripts: Modern School Images:

Modern School Collection: Images: Faculty and Staff [7]

Jim and Nellie Dick, both of whom were active members of the Ferrer Movement, met in London at Nellie's International Modern School, also know as the Ferrer Sunday School. They moved to America in January 1917 and arrived at Stelton in March 1917, where they taught and managed the boarding house (as the living house was then called). Jim Dick taught many different classes at Stelton, including ballroom dancing, English, arithmetic, and other academic subjects. They moved to the Mohegan Colony in 1924 but returned to Stelton in 1928 as co-principals. In addition, Jim Dick revived the publication of "Voice of the Children" which had lapsed in 1926. Above, Jim and Nellie Dick pose for a picture at Stelton (Sept. 1921).


Go Back One image   Go to Next Image


Finding Aid to the Modern Collection
Photographs: Faculty and Staff | Daily Life | Classes | Buildings | Non-Stelton
Voices of the Children: 1922 | 1929 | 1931