Benevolent Patriot: The Life and Times of Henry Rutgers- spring exhibition
Revolutionary War officer, New York State legislator, brewer, and noted philanthropist Henry Rutgers (1745-1830) is celebrated in the Spring 2010 exhibition in Special Collections and University Archives.
In 1825, the Board of Trustees of Queens College in New Brunswick, NJ changed the school’s name to Rutgers College in honor of Henry Rutgers. One year later, Rutgers gave a generous donation of a bond and a bell to the college. Less well known is Henry Rutgers' prominence in New York City as one of the wealthiest landowners in Manhattan. His contributions included service during the Revolutionary War and later in the New York State legislature, as well as support to religious and educational institutions. These activities, and other aspects of his domestic and public life, are highlighted in an exhibition curated by Rutgers' archivists at Special Collections and University Archives
The exhibition will feature historic maps, documents, and illustrations as well as personal artifacts that illuminate the history of Henry Rutgers and New York during the Revolutionary War and Early National periods. The exhibition also tells the story of our continued fascination with Colonel Henry and features contemporary photographs by Rutgers alumna Heather Morrison of the neighborhood and sites related to him on the Lower East Side.
The exhibition opening reception on February 15th will include a presentation of in-depth historical research on Henry Rutgers by Dr. David Fowler, and presentations by Rutgers Professor of History Paul G. E. Clemens, University Archivist Tom Frusciano, and Rutgers University President Richard L. McCormick. The reception will be held at 5:00 pm in the Scholarly Communication Center, on the 4th floor of Alexander Library, on Rutgers' College Ave. Campus in New Brunswick.
To make a reservation for the reception, request assistance with parking, or for more information, send email to email@example.com or call 732/932-7505.
Posted January 8, 2010