Benevolent Patriot: The Life and Times of Henry Rutgers- spring exhibition. February 15 to July 30, 2010
Revolutionary War officer, New York State legislator, brewer, and noted philanthropist Henry Rutgers (1745-1830) is celebrated in the Spring 2010 exhibition in Special Collections and University Archives.
In 1825, the Board of Trustees of Queens College in New Brunswick, NJ changed the school's name to Rutgers College
in honor of Henry Rutgers. One year later, Rutgers gave a generous donation of a bond and a bell to the college.
Less well known is Henry Rutgers' prominence in New York City as one of the wealthiest landowners in Manhattan.
His contributions included service during the Revolutionary War and later in the New York State legislature, as
well as support to religious and educational institutions. These activities, and other aspects of his domestic and
public life, are highlighted in an exhibition curated by Rutgers' archivists at Special Collections and University
The exhibition, which is on display from February 15 to July 30, 2010, features historic maps, documents, and
illustrations as well as personal artifacts that illuminate the history of Henry Rutgers and New York during the
Revolutionary War and Early National periods. The exhibition also tells the story of our continued fascination
with Colonel Henry and features contemporary photographs by Rutgers alumna Heather Morrison of the neighborhood
and sites related to him on the Lower East Side.
To view a RU-tv report about the Life and Times of Henry Rutgers exhibition, please go to:
The exhibition is located in the first floor and lower level galleries in Alexander Library.
For information about when the library is open, and for directions to the library, please see the
Hours & Directions page.