Libraries Add Grove Dictionary of Art Online
The Libararies latest electronic acquision in the world of art, The Grove Dictionary of Art Online, contains 45,000 articles on every aspect of the visual arts painting, sculpture, graphic arts, architecture, decorative arts and photography from prehistory to the present day. Topics covered in the Grove Dictionary of Art Online include:
- biographies of painters, sculptors, graphic artists, architects, furniture makers, ceramists, photographers, illuminators, calligraphers and more;
- biographies of patrons, collectors, agents and dealers;
- articles of criticism, theory, and philosophy of art;
- survey articles on the cultures and civilizations of the Middle East, Asia, Africa, Europe, the Americas and Australia;
- country surveys for every country recognized by the United Nations, from Afghanistan to Zambia;
- more than 1,350 articles on towns and cities;
- artistic styles and movements in both Western and non-Western art;
- major art forms;
- subject-matter and iconography;
- materials, techniques and conservation;
- general issues in art.
Grove Dictionary of Art Online also provides access to 100,000 images from the Bridgeman Art Library. The Bridgeman Art Library contains images of painting, sculpture, architecture and the decorative arts from many of the most prestigious museums from around the world, as well as material from private collections, works in situ, and architectural and historical images. Links are also provided to images in public collections throughout the world. Additionally, Grove provides access to current news of the art world from Art Newspaper, and to artnet.com.
Users may access Grove Dictionary of Art Online from the frontpage of the Libraries website, either through Library Catalog or from the Indexes & Databases pages or by following this path - Indexes & Databases/Arts & Humanities/Art
Posted October 16, 2001