Dana Class Guides:
Poetry Criticism Checklist
Prof. Michael Zuegin
Here is a game plan for finding criticism of poetry organized as a checklist of library resources
These three reference books are used to identify journal articles and sometimes chapters in books that provide critical analyses of poetry. They are very helpful in finding older articles. These tools are arranged alphabetically by the poet's last name. The poems are then listed alphabetically by title. The bibliographies are shelved separately in the Reference Room. The bookcase is on your left, just beyond the unabridged dictionary and the card catalog.
- Poetry Explication
- DANA REF PR 502 .K8
- Guide to American Poetry Explication: Volume 2: Modern and Contemporary
- DANA REF PS 221.L46
- American and British Poetry: A Guide to the Criticism 1925-1978
- DANA REF PS 303. A44
- Literature Resource Center
- Full-text database providing author's biographies, criticism of works and bibliographies. (Rutgers-restricted database)
- Humanities Full Text
- This database indexes core scholarly periodicals and specialized magazines in literature, history, film studies, mass media, philosophy, archaeology, music, folklore, art and photography, and journalism. (Rutgers-restricted database)
- Literature Online (LION)
- Searchable full text of more than 350,000 literary works in the English language-poetry, drama, and prose; 175 full-text literary journals; the Annual Bibliography of English Language and Literature; and reference sources including bibliographies, biographies, and dictionaries."--from the Rutgers website.
Try the CRITICISM & REFERENCE search; here is an example: Keyword(s):
Little Princess AND Author/Subject(s):
- MLA International Bibliography
- Includes articles from journals on literature, language, folklore (Rutgers-restricted database)
You can search IRIS using an author's name, the book title or subject heading. Use the pull-down menu to indicate what type of information you have entered - for example,
Zipes, Jack and AUTHOR (last name first) from the menu.