Dana Class Guides:
American Political Theory (790:376)
Prof. Eileen Sullivan
Start with one or more of these online encyclopedias in Political Science to find articles on individual thinkers, political ideologies, and government policies and practices. [Rutgers Restricted]
Encyclopedia of American Foreign Policy
Electronic version of the 3 volume resource containing "essays by subject experts on concepts and doctrines, policymaking, commerce and science, human rights and arms control, with specific articles on topics ranging from anti-imperialism to environmental diplomacy, from refugee policies to terrorism and countermeasures. Also includes a chronology."
Encyclopedia of Governance
Covers "topics surrounding governance for the period between the collapse of the post-war consensus and the rise of neoliberal regimes in the 1970s. This comprehensive resource concentrates primarily on topics related to the changing nature and role of the state in recent times and the ways in which these roles have been conceptualized in the areas of Political Science, Public Administration, Political Economy, and Sociology." Electronic version of the print resource.
Encyclopedia of Libertarianism
"Each entry provides an introduction to a topic or policy question relevant to libertarianism or a biography of a person who has had an impact on libertarianism." Electronic version of the print resource.
Encyclopedia of Political Communication
Povides interdisciplinary coverage of "the major theoretical approaches to the field, including direct and limited effects theories, agenda-setting theories, sociological theories, framing and priming theories, and other past and present conceptualizations." Electronic version of the print resource.
Encyclopedia of Politics: The Left and The Right
"Articles on individuals, movements, political parties, and ideological principles, with those usually thought of as left in the left-hand volume (Volume 1), and those considered on the right in the right-hand volume (Volume 2)." Electronic version of the print resource.
Encyclopedia of U.S. Campaigns, Elections, and Electoral Behavior
"Focuses on American campaigns, elections, and electoral behavior but also provides a culturally and politically diverse perspective of American democratic practices and institutions." Electronic version of the print resource.
Encyclopedia of United States National Security
Takes an interdisciplinary approach to "national security from historical, economic, political, and technological perspectives." Electronic version of the print resource.
History in Dispute
"Addresses heavily debated questions by offering different critical perspectives on major historical events, drawn from all time periods and from all parts of the globe."
These sources cover the 19th, 20th, and 21st centuries with "full or excerpted documents---speeches, legislation, magazine and newspaper articles, essays, memoirs, letters, interviews, novels, songs, and works of art---as well as overview information that places each document in context." [Rutgers Restricted]
Government, Politics, and Protest: Essential Primary Sources
Human and Civil Rights: Essential Primary Sources
Social Policy: Essential Primary Sources
Then, use one or more of the following databases to locate articles published in scholarly and academic journals.
- Academic Search Premier. This database from EBSCOhost is multi-dsciplinary and includes many articles in full-text.
- PAIS International and Archive. Citations to articles, books, and reports on public policy and international affairs. Note that you will only see abstracts; for the full-text of journal articles, click on , which will lead to locations of the articles.
- Social Sciences Full Text. Covers the latest concepts, trends, opinions, theories and methods from both applied and theoretical aspects of the social sciences.
- Worldwide Political Science Abstracts. References and summaries of articles on political science, international relations, public policy and related fields. For the full-text of journal articles, click on , which will lead to locations of the articles.
These databases will provide access to articles published in newspapers across the country and around the world. [Rutgers Restricted]
- Access World News. Full-text content of over 819 U.S. newspapers and over 1,100 international newspapers plus a few select wire services.
- African-American Newspapers. A full-text database of several newspapers published by and for African-Americans during the nineteenth century.
- LexisNexis Academic. Full-text of more than 50 major English-language newspapers from the U.S. and around the world.
Recommended Internet Resources
- ThisNation.com has provided a Glossary for concepts and ideas related to American government and politics.
- This brief essay on Political Philosophy from the Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy provides an overview of several major theories, including Liberalism, Conservativism, Socialism, Anarchism, and Environmentalism.
- For Weblinks to many more political theories and thinkers, consult the Keele Guide to Political Thought and Ideology on the Internet.
Citing your Sources