Suggestions & Comments to:|
Paul Cabelli or Neera Sondhi
Brief Record Creation Guidelines
- Indicators are not needed (except in the 110 Main Entry-Corporate Name field, in the 780 Preceding and 785 Succeeding Title fields, and sometimes in the 245 Title field.
- Subfields are not needed (except in the 780 Preceding and 785 Succeeding Title fields.
- Click on the ADDTITLE icon. You can set the desired properties beforehand or just use the existing
properties and adjust the record afterwards.
- Fill in the 022 ISSN field (if known) - e.g. 1234-5678
- Fill in the 110 Main Entry - Corporate Name field. Use this tag only if (a) the title is so basic
and generic, like 'newsletter or 'report', that adding a Corporate Author would be helpful in finding
this record on IRIS, or (b) the title is a government publication where the department, office,
agency, etc. is known. You should always set the first indicator to '2' and leave the second indicator
(e.g. 110 2_ American Chemical Society.)
- Fill in the 245 Title Statement field. You can cut and paste from an OCLC record, Library of
Congress Online Catalog record, etc., or you can extract the information as best you can from the item
itself.] Remember that if the title begins with an initial article, whether in English (A, An, or The)
or in a
foreign language, you should set the first indicator to '0', and set the second indicator to
the number of letters contained in the initial article plus 1 (e.g. for the title The Journal of
geography, the 1st and 2nd indicators should read '04'.
If the title is in CD-ROM format, then add CD-ROM to the title field (e.g. 245 04 The Journal of geography [CD-ROM]). If the title is in DVD-ROM format, then add DVD-ROM to the title field
(e.g. 245 04 The Journal of geography [DVD-ROM]). If the title is in print, microform, or online format, do not add any information in brackets.
- Fill in the 246 Varying Form of Title field (if needed). For example, if the title page/cover page of the actual publication or the OCLC 245 Title field contains an ampersand ('&'), then you should create a 246 Title Varies field, substituting the word 'and' for the ampersand - this will allow the public better access to this record. Also, if the title page/cover page or OCLC record contains compound words (e.g. pocketbook, pocket_book, pocket-book), then create 246 tags to accommodate these title variations.
- Fill in the 260 Publication, Distribution, Etc. (Imprint) field
(e.g. New Brunswick, N.J. : Rutgers University Press, 1997- )
If the beginning date the publication is not obvious, leave it out.
- Fill in the 780 Preceding Entry field. Use this tag if this is a title change or a tangible format change [print to CD-ROM], and the brief record you are creating is for the New Title or New Format. Add '00' indicators, add a |t subfield, and leave out all initial articles
(e.g. 780 00 |tJournal of geography, or 780 00 Society of American Archivists.|tDirectory).
[Important Note: Do NOT add a 780 tag to any
- Fill in the 785 Succeeding Entry field. Use this tag if this is a title change or a tangible format change [print to CD-ROM], and the brief record you are creating is for the Old Title or Old Format. Add '00' indicators, add a |t subfield, and leave out all initial articles
(e.g. 785 00 |tJournal of geography, or 785 00 Society of American Archivists.|tDirectory).
[Important Note: Do NOT add a 785 tag to any fully-cataloged record]
- Hit 'OK' at bottom of screen
- Edit item line (if necessary)
- Add serials control record (if needed)
rev. 7/13/07, 10/10/08, 10/27/09