Minutes of August 8, 2002 meeting
We will have 2 new bookmarks available by the beginning of fall semester, one to publicize email addresses and
the other on the new DELIVER/RECALL BOOK feature in IRIS. H. Glazer is revising drafts of text and working on
2) Missing/Lost-Paid/Lost-Repl and GeacLost lists.
These lists will be available for searching soon, Judy will inform circ_sub. Some problems we experienced with
missing books in the past were cleaned up before the final reports were run- items with double charges were
discharged and recharged to a MISS-library, and items with Current Location edited to Missing were charged to a
MISS-library user. Missing book reports also have an improved, single-record output this year.
3) FY01-02 and FY02-03 Statistics.
We reviewed system wide circulation, reserve circulation, electronic reserve, request service, and interlibrary
loan statistics for FY01-02 that are reported to the Budget Office for ARL stats. In most cases these are
gathered from Unicorn reports. In FY02-03 RRS staff will continue to report the number of items they send to off-
campus sites manually, on spreadsheets on Alexís t:common. And ILL staff will continue to manually count and
report the number of items loaned from each RU library, also on Alexís t:common.
4) Rutgers Request Service: user-initiated holds, RRS brochure, RRS/L&C Web Doc Delivery proposal.
- Judy demonstrated user-initiated holds and the new DELIVER/RECALL BOOK and REQUEST ARTICLE/OTHER features in Test IRIS. Staff training sessions have been scheduled Aug. 20th at Robeon and NB, and Aug. 21st at Dana.
- A revised draft of the RRS brochure and website were distributed for comments.
When user-initiated holds are introduced following re-indexing, the Rutgers Request Service will change its name to Rutgers Delivery Service.
- Implementation of the RRS/L&C Web Doc Delivery proposal has been postponed due to staff vacancies, new hold procedures, and the ELF scanners not yet installed.
5) Other items and Information Sharing.
- We looked at JerseyCat, the State Libraryís new virtual state catalog. IRIS is a Z39.50 target, implementation of other library catalogs is ongoing around the state. PSC has recommended that JerseyCat be made available on the RUL website.
- The DELIVER/RECALL BOOK option does not have an additional information field needed by reserve staff for tracking course instructor and number. Roger is drafting procedures for reserve staff to place copy level holds directly in WorkFlows for items that are in other libraryís collections.
- Roger distributed instructions for creating combined reserve records, single records for both photocopy and electronic documents. Dana and Music libraries both make use of accession number on their photocopies; it was agreed that these numbers could be added following the instructor or authorís name in the call number field. Instructions were endorsed and reserve staff can start using them next week.
- The Electronic Reserves userís guide will be updated to incorporate the new combined records; a PDF version of the guide will also be made available on the web for better printing.
- Chris asked what libraries want to use Standalone during August (please let him know by tomorrow) and reminded us that staff wanted to coordinate times to begin charging and discharging when the system comes back up.
- LSM is removing journals from its collection, will be donated to Thelma Tateís program. Other weeding and shifting may take place.
- Barry described the highly successful Day in the Life of Access Services program presented by NB access services staff. A repeat presentation was given at the retirees luncheon; presentations are available on library servers. The NB billing group is conducting refresher-training sessions this month. There was a grass fire on Livingston campus, and EMS emergency situation at Kilmer.
- SMLR is expecting 6 new public access terminals.
- Billís last day is August 23, he has new position as reference/instruction librarian at DeVry.
- Alcohol Studies has been quiet during the summer, will be its losing work-study student this fall.
- ILL has been working out a few glitches with web document delivery, problems are highlighted on AAL but vast majority are going through smoothly. Stella has retired; staff at Alex will begin covering at LSM 1/2 days.
- Systems staff are preparing the system for conversion to read only, re-indexing, and conversion to demand Management.
- Ann reported that Shawn has been working nights at Dana during the summer. Au has assumed responsibility for Media; responsibility for media access issues and questions will be discussed. Dana is preparing for collection management projects and collection shifts when carpeting is replaced over winter intersession.
- Douglass is busy processing reserves for fall; a new voucher for RRS has been hired; new building emergency procedures manual is available at the circulation desk. NB collection management group were given a tour of the RECAP facility by Penny Weniger. Douglass experienced influx of neighborhood children during the summer, they were asked to leave if not accompanied by adult.
- Jan announced that the TEC is moving classroom equipment out of the Media Center. He and Jane Sloan are working on proposal for system wide implementation of digital audio reserves.