Minutes of November 21, 2002 meeting
1) U2002 Testing.
Testers reported no major changes in access services functions in
U2002. Misc. highlights: messages returned when removing holds vary,
can now print a whole user record, screen background changes between
modifying and reviewing records, there was no ILL toolbar to test since
we didn’t purchase it, Self Services worked OK in the test webcat,
global edits in Reserves allow for greater flexibility especially with
instructor wizards, renewals worked OK, billing looks the same but not
yet sure if recall fines starting to accrue on the 15th day overdue has
Chris noted that the next subrelease of U2002 will allow users to place
holds on volumes in multi-volume sets when they already have one volume
of the set checked out. Chris also encouraged us to review the Requests
module, as it looks quite different with new wizards. Roger volunteered
to update the document and webpage “Toolbar and Properties Page:
Standard sets of Icons and associated Properties for Functions in Sirsi
Workflows” and include the new Request wizards. The group officially
signed off on access services functions in U2002. It will be installed
Jan. 1, 2003.
2) 1st quarter Holds and RDS stats.
We reviewed July, August, and September 2002 RDS statistics and noted a
dramatic increase in book Holds and decrease in book Requests in Sept.
after user-initiated holds were introduced. Overall delivery increase
26% from Sept. 01-02 to Sept. 02-03, with Alex, LSM, Math, and Chemistry
experiencing an increase in the number of books processed. Chris is
monitoring aged holds that linger on libraries’ Pull Lists and
informally alerting RDS staff.
3) New scanners, RDS web document delivery.
New scanners have all been installed. Document feeder models are
especially popular with ereserves staff. Web delivery of RDS articles
is still pending. Libraries with scanners will scan articles and send
them to the patron’s nearest campus ILL office where they will be
processed for delivery on the Web. Deposit accounts will be needed for
delivery of Rutgers articles for a fee, from same library/campus as
nearest campus. To assist with planning, we will conduct an RDS sample
the week after Thanksgiving and log which pickup sites where articles
are being sent to.
4) In-transit Reports.
Old in-transit charges are almost entirely cleaned up, a few remain. We
need to recommend a report run schedule/frequency for regular In-Transit
Reports that will be emailed to staff for searching. The In-transit
contact list needs to be reviewed and updated. Dean reminded us about
the “What’s In Transit” wizard and its various display options.
5) Misc. cleanup projects and strategies.
- Damaged user. Items charged to the old Damaged user record will be
searched in all libraries and those not found charged to Missing users.
The Damaged user will the be removed and all damaged materials charged
to the new TS-(LIB) and CS-(LIB) users.
- RRS users. Items charged to library RRS users will be searched and
charged to Missing if not found. We will give RRS library user records
a status of barred so that items can not be charged to them in future.
- Departmental DA Reports. Judy will find out if Delinquent Accounts
will cancel academic holds on our old departmental, individual library,
preGeac DA reports. Billing staff may still need to clear out local
files or paper records.
- GeacLost items. Staff have confidence in these records and their
migration from Geac, especially after searching. We still need to test
the new billing reports.
- Withdrawn students. Robeson is the only library currently receiving a
list of “withdrawn” students from their registrar. We will discuss a
systemwide strategy for dealing with withdrawn students in our regular
data loads with Admin Computing. Robeson can cancel their list, or at
least not process it in the meantime.
We agreed to postpone searching projects until January intersession.
Judy briefly described the book delivery pilot that RUL will conduct
with PALCI libraries (Pennsylvania Academic Library Consortium, Inc.) in
the spring. Heads of campus public and access services will meet with
PSC and Systems staff shortly to discuss the pilot and its board public
service and staffing implications. RDS, ILS, systems, and shipping
staff will all be involved. Rutgers patrons will be able to place
requests directly in the PALCI catalog for books and receive email
notification, and PALCI library patrons will request books from us.
PALCI’s epixtech URSA software will interact with IRIS. PALCI staff
will be on campus to conduct training before the pilot begins.
7) ILL renewals.
Reminder from Jane to use 2003 due dates for ILL items, and that ILL
renewals are granted through AAL only. (Some items have been renewed
multiple times at circ desks, causing problems with our lending
8) Heard from our patrons:
- The text of reply macros “this issue, etc. is not ‘held’…” has caused
confusion with widespread use of “holds/held” terminology in different
context now. Perhaps we should change it to “owned” instead.
- Suggestion to allow 30 days use of a book before it becomes eligible
for recall, received over AAL, was discussed.
- We state that fines can be paid at the circulation desk of any Rutgers
Library but Art does not collect $ and many libraries can’t collect
fines after hours. Suggestion was made to be more specific in our user
guides about when and where fines can be paid.
- It’s been suggested that we add a (return) mailing address to the
Off-Campus Delivery band. Each campus will be customized.
9) Announcements and information sharing.
- We reaffirmed the importance of sending all routine AAL access services
replies to the blind pin address and not to askliac. PUB-NOTEs
referring to AAL correspondence are helpful to staff at desks.
- Dana is still looking to fill their evening supervisor position.
- Alex is also recruiting for an evening supervisor, just posted two
- Examples of two RU Online Directory entries for Grad/TAs will be shared
during next meeting with Admin Computing to try to determine how email
addresses are chosen to send to the Libraries.
- Chang’s roof still experiencing leaks. Planning for the construction
project at Douglass is ongoing.
- The NB reserves functional group has made a concerted effort to control
eres file size, a few are still running over. A new building server for
Alex will alleviate space problems on the U drive. Ereserve
instructions have been organized into folders, and archiving
instructions reviewed. REMX book orders had stopped going through but
funds have been allocated and they are being processed now. The
functional group will study use of paper reserves, looking for trends
and possible justification to stop offering paper.
- ILL has been working through web document delivery issues; on the whole
the service is very popular with users. Jane. M. is a member of
InfoLink’s Library Services Committee which will be conducting a
language survey soon.
- Douglass position posted, interviews beginning. NB collection
management group is reviewing its manual and planning for display.
- Question about AAL Holds questions and exactly which ones access
services staff might be able to answer.
- Evening library staff are getting questions about escort services,
- New staff person expected at LSM, another position pending.
NEXT MEETING: Thursday, December 12th, 9:30-11:30 a.m. NRUTGERS,
Alexander Library, CAC. Contact Lucye Millerand ahead of time if you
want to make arrangements for videoconferencing.