Minutes of August 12, 2003 meeting
1) August downtime
IRIS will be migrated to a new server. Chris anticipates the system will
be down for reindexing this coming weekend only, when all libraries are
closed. If more time is needed, a read-only version of IRIS will be
available Mon. morning. Notices will not run and PALCI will not be
available during downtime. Systems staff expects the new server will
speed other processes and routine reports as well.
2) In-library use loan periods for RDS items
The group agreed to recommend extending the loan period from 3 to 5
days, giving items a 10 day-due date. Before we begin, Judy will discuss
with Jeanne how to alert librarians via the councils.
3) Lost Load date and patron status
We agreed to a definition of currently enrolled student and currently
employed faculty/staff based on the last load dates in their WorkFlows
user records. Employees are current if their last load date is on or
after the previous month. Students are current if their last load date
is on or after the previous month Oct-Apr, on or after the previous Apr.
from May-Aug., and on or after the previous May in Sept. A table with
examples will be included in the next revision of the borrower charts.
4) Misc. Updates
- Andy, Michele, Katie, Matthew, Jan, Barry, Stacy, and Ann W.
successfully completed Unicorn reports training.
- The new ILL patron interface and circulation policies have been
introduced. Only ILL materials processed after July 23 have
self-renewal. There will be a transition period with materials processed
the old and new ways.
- Patron data loads now contain type 7 & 8 employees, one-year expiration
dates, and demographic stat fields. We re working on making use of
alumni and withdrawn information.
- The Audio Reserves Working Group recommended a plan for system-wide
audio reserves. Due to staffing and budget issues, the service will not
be offered on all campuses in the fall.
- We looked at sample call number labels from Acquisitions that will be
produced by an outside vendor. The labels are OK for shelvers; it was
suggested that the call numbers might be centered more.
- The group came up with a list of stack check contacts for each library.
- We discussed the pros and cons of waiting to introduce web document
delivery for RDS articles until the new networked version of Ariel is
out. Imaging Services is revising old deposit accounts in anticipation
of the new service, and we will re-examine possibility of starting it
5) Announcements, Information Sharing
- Chang staff are working on Marc holdings for their serials.
- In addition to indexing changes, Systems will reload EEBO records
during downtime and is preparing to load over 10,000 records for major
- Imaging Services is moving a networked printing installation from SERC
to Alex undergraduate reserve area.
- Alcohol Studies staff are almost done with MARC holdings and are
shifting the reprint collection. Construction has eliminated parking and
Davidson Road traffic patterns are changing on Busch.
- Kilmer is conducting a major collection shift with assistance of the NB
collection management group.
- Construction is taking place in Newark, on the plaza by the library.
- Matthew is working on customer service, conflict resolution, and time &
project management training for NB access & collection services staff in
October and November. Imaging Services and Music-Media staff expressed
an interest; Matthew will alert Marilyn and noted the plan is to roll
out the training to other campuses.
- Jan described new shelving racks for DVD and VCRs. A new public face to
Mediavision s online scheduler will be ready for fall.
Next Meeting: Thursday, Sept. 11, 9:30-11:30 a.m.