Minutes of November 13, 2003 meeting
Chris s update
- Call Systems if you have problems launching Test WorkFlows. You can
create a second WF icon using the "O" drive version or you can change
IPs and update.
- Garbled displays in the title glossary when 2 copies display and
broken Pull lists are known problems. Search results cannot be saved in
WebCat as originally stated in the release notes.
- We will experiment with configurations to hide display of the Alt ID
on user records, turn on user display header, and add new user categories.
- Extended information currently in comment fields on Item records will
be converted to staff notes; they will not display in Webcat. The vast
majority are Annex codes, there are some old missing and home library
notes. These staff notes can then be evaluated and converted into public
notes for display in Webcat if desired.
- Suspended users records can only be "unsuspended" by a report or date,
not manually. We don t anticipate using the Suspend User wizard.
- Systems will install a subrelease with fixes and plans to install
U2003 in production Jan. 2, 2004.
ASC tester comments, observations:
- Holds are working OK, still looking at blanket holds.
- Check item status wizards are also OK, although a different user s
holds showed up on a test user record.
- Renewals within the bookings module are not working, the override
option does not display.
- Reserve wizards and processing are fine. [We agreed to start canceling
holds on titles that are pulled out of a holds queue for reserves; we
will send a new cancellation notice explaining why the hold is canceled]
- Renewals of item and user records are OK.
- User functions in Webcat are fine. IPAC is testing the new broadcast
search function. The book button currently displays on reserve records
in test and Chris is working on moving it to media format records;
user-initiated bookings will be tested in the spring. Chris will also
look again at trying to get titles to carry over onto Request
- New bill reasons are available; we need to define when to use them. A
billing working group will be formed to study the new billing processes
during Spring semester.
- We will remove display of "allow routing" and Group ID.
- Extend and renew user privileges wizards appear to operate as intended
(though our practice is to change expiration dates using modify user).
The group will continue to test but did not come up with any
showstoppers and we're on track with the Jan. 2, 2004 implementation date.
A new series of missing book reports in Excel format will be available
to selectors, four per year with the first one in December. The reports
are configured and will be scheduled to coordinate with access services
missing book reports and searching schedule.
The Database Maintenance Team has started using the new returned notices
guidelines; Judy will summarize the process for circ_sub.
As previously announced, we can now manually edit addresses on all
RU-ONLINE Guest alumni user records.
The RDS web document delivery group has met and based on tasks yet to be
done and systems changes still pending, the rollout of this service has
been delayed until sometime in January or beginning of spring semester.
Planning to have fliers announcing the changes in RDS article delivery
available in Dec.
The PALCI membership meeting last week included presentations by
executive directors of other academic library consortia (Boston, Orbis),
a statistical review of E-ZBorrow activity last year, discussion of
future activities, and a general discussion about the new release of the
URSA (Horizon ILL) software. The new software s release date has not yet
been announced. It will need to be tested before PALCI implements it. A
separate trial for user-initiated article requesting was proposed, as
well as making participation in article requesting optional.
The term loan due date changes in December, special intersession recall
due dates will also take effect. We decided to make all libraries
"closed" in Unicorn 12/23/03-1/4/04 and no books will fall due on these
dates. The "A" Team will be off over the break. This is our first
experience with Palci during winter break. We expect to see hold queues
Robeson and Dana continue to stamp due dates in books. NBL stopped
stamping due dates a couple of years ago. Books are processed without
date due slips and PSC administration does not maintain a supply. Self
Services is the patron s record of due dates, which constantly change
because of renewals and recalls. The number of total times an item has
been checked out since Aug. '97 is readily available in WorkFlows.
- Orientation sessions for the new "Ask a Librarian" software will be
offered during January intersession.
- The December ASC meeting is canceled.
- Jim Robinson has accepted position in the Shipping & Receiving Dept.
- A Knight Express reader for Alex s circulation desk will be ordered.
- Kiosks with keypads have been successfully installed in Media viewing
rooms at Kilmer; they are popular with users who can now control DVD
- The general collection on the second floor of LSM and the special
collections room are being inventoried and/or weeded. Items from the
special collections room may be sent to the Annex or Special Collections
& Archives for environmental control and preservation.
- There s a party at 2pm at LSM for Marilyn Herod who is leaving.
- Chris is working on post recon inventory procedures, automating
withdrawals, automatic PIN notification, and loading record sets into
IRIS. Lisheng Chen is new staff at Systems. Nov. 22nd is pie day at TAS.
- Robeson is now offering wireless connections.
- We encourage users to use E-ZBorrow are an alternative to recall, but
we will not convert recalls already placed by Rutgers users into
E-ZBorrow requests in order to keep a book in the hands of the current
- Douglass staff are scheduled to move upstairs on Jan. 7th. NB's
collection management manual is completed and includes training exercises.
- LSM is experiencing heating/cooling problems. A survey was used to
identify basic circ functions for training.
- Imaging Services staff has completed scanning refreshers with staff at
all libraries with scanners. Math Library is conducting inventory.
NEXT MEETING: The December 11th meeting has been canceled.