Minutes of May 12, 2005 meeting
- B.Lipinski, D.Voorhees, J.Teichmann, A. Martinez, P.Weniger, T. Meyer, N.Mukherjee, R.Smith, M.Tokar, K.Anderson, T.NcNally, M Harris, D. Meister, J. Reinhart, J. Gardner, C.Foote
1. May 16th downtime for iLink installation
We will use manual book charge forms (no Standalone) during system downtime on Monday while
iLink is installed. When the system comes up, we agreed to enter all manual charges, call LSM
when done, wait for LSM to start the calling chain before beginning to discharge returned items.
We revised the manual book charge form.
2. PALCI logins
Alexander's PALCI login has been changed. All libraries will receive new PALCI logins on June
1st. Let Judy know if you would like more than one login per library.
3. NetIDs, Alumni, Admitted Students, and access to licensed electronic resources
Judy distributed a draft document describing when NetIDs work for remote access. Faculty, staff,
and students (including summer, winter, and admit coming students) gain remote access as soon as
they are eligible for and create a valid NetID. Students and alumni lose access in mid-August if
they are not registered for fall semester. For example, students who graduate in May, do not
enroll in summer session but are going to graduate school in the fall, will have access through
the summer but will lose it in mid-August if they have not yet registered for fall classes.
Admit coming students lose access October 15 if they are not registered. Judy will update the
draft document and distribute it to circ_sub.
4. Ereserves Working Group- update
Roger reported highlights from Ereserve Working Group meeting held last week. The syllabus
format has problems with NetID remote access. After discussing possible solutions and
alternatives the group decided to work further on grouping readings by week on Workflows record.
We will link from scanned copies of syllabus in audio reserves only, where passwords are in
place. On a trial basis this summer, reserve staff will expand maximum file size to 4 meg. The
Eres tutorial developed at Camden will be updated for iLink. Options available with MS Office
readers on library PCs was discussed.
5. In Library Use: review of RDS policies, procedures, and patron Notices
We reviewed problems caused by email notices that are sent to patrons with 5-days in-library use
items, which states that items will be held for 14 days. The text of these "hold available"
email notices cannot be customized. We explored various ideas including-- extend the loan period
of in-library materials, don't create holds, don't make holds available, create in-library users
for each unit, add language to the email notice, add language to the error message when
Recall/Deliver requests are blocked that if Request Article/Other is used to request items the
loan period will be 5 days. Staff were encouraged to think of other ideas that might solve this
- J Client. Access services will not plan for J Client training and implementation this summer. The Request module will probably be completed the end of the summer; there is no projected date for Bookings. The client will remain on staff PCs where it was beta-tested.
- Contacts lists. Updated lists are not yet on the Web, but are available on Alex's T: Common under GARDNER\Contacts.
- Diploma Holds. The diploma hold process was streamlined with receipt of an electronic file from the Registrar in NB this year; we will ask for a list of all colleges' graduates next year.
- Customer service training. Ann Watkins, Katie Anderson, Michele Tokar, Andy Martinez, and Roger Smith will attend an all-day workshop, "Extraordinary Customer Service: Assisting Patrons in 21st Century Libraries," at PALINET headquarters in Philadelphia on May 23rd. This group will then work with Judy on basic customer and information services training for all access services staff.
- Sirsi Northeast Users Group meeting. Dean Meister and Ian Bogus will attend this conference in Pittsburg in June. Ian will present on LincPlus. A brown bag will be planned for them to share their experiences.
- May 24th brown bag. Attendees at the Access Services in the 21st Century symposium held at Princeton in March (Penny, Barry, Joyce, Maggie, Katie, Glenn, Stacy) will present a brown bag on May 24th.
7. Announcements and Information Sharing
- Judy and Roger are scheduling visits to Camden and Newark campuses to meet with directors and access services supervisors and to discuss staff participation in the NBL function groups.
- RDS reply macros, AAL canned replies, and Notices text will be revised for changes in iLink. Most of the public web pages will be revised by May 16th.
- NBL Circulation and Student Assistant groups are preparing a welcome notebook for new staff. Suggestion was made to include tours of all branches for new staff shortly after they arrive.
- AAL training for new team members from NBL is being planned and will include a review/update of the standard replies.
- LSM is getting new carpeting and sprinklers. During sprinkler installation some 1st floor reference and government document stack areas will be restricted during parts of the day.
- NBL Security & Facilities group is investigating summer training (ergonomics, composing html minutes, emergency manual review). It was suggested these topics appeal to a wider audience and might be referred to Training and Learning Committee.
- Douglass is planning to shift collections in the West Room.
- Summer training initiatives for NBL include AAL & customer service (Circ), overviews for general staff (RDS and Billing), mold & preservation (Collection Management).
- Gillian Newton is new staff person at Alexander, starting May 16th. Meghan Lord will start working at Kilmer when SERC closes for the summer. The following positions are about to be posted: Even. Sup (LSM), RDS Assoc. (Alex), and Kilmer position
- Reserve preview lists have gone out to all libraries. Various reserve cleanup projects will take place this summer, including identifying and removing old brief records.
- Dana reported receiving boxes of RDS & Circ books mixed together, and asked that they be sent separately.
- Robeson will continue with inventory this summer, reorganize periodical shelves, and is interviewing for an open position.
- Between 500-600 items are being prepared for transfer from Music to Douglass, and 900 from Math to Annex.
- The system has been configured to allow media staff to place bookings for UMDNJ users, though a low level override is still needed at check out. Media is considering adding a location for video pickup, either Chang or SMLR.
- Imaging Services is consulting with SP/UA about purchase of a planetary (color) scanner. Preliminary statistics indicate printing has gone down this FY.
- Alexander Library added the reference room to their 24-hour exam period, thereby doubling seating space. Use statistics doubled as well, and got higher as the exam period progressed.
- The NBL billing group will ask for the electronic diploma holds list earlier next year, and possibly generate courtesy warning letters to users before placing diploma holds. Projected dates to request the lists are needed. The group also has created an online diploma hold form, which was used for the first time with the permission of the Registrar.
- Temporary smart classrooms are being constructed on Kilmer and Cook campuses.
- Students who have laptops stolen can be advised to report the theft to RUWireless who will monitor for use. Michele reported this helped a student recover his laptop at LSM.
Next Meeting: Thursday, June 9, 2005, 9:30 a.m.