Minutes of June 9, 2005 meeting
- P. Bellanca, D. Voorhees, Z. Bonianian, J. Teichmann, R. Barbalace, E. McElroy, D. Meister, A. Martinez, C. Sterback, N. Mukherjee, G. Sandberg, M. Tokar, R. Smith, B. Lipinski, P. Weniger, J. Gardner (recorder), K. Anderson, Y.Ishii, M.Harris, D.Grauer, C.Foote.
Rose Barbalace, Coordinator of the NBL Student Assistant Functional Group, was welcomed to ASC.
- Goals. Review of 2004/05 goals and discussion of key goals for 2005/06.
- Access Services-Systems Academic Calendar for 2005/06-DRAFT.
- Accompanying Materials - A Proposal for RUL Standards.
- Billing: Notices schedule and texts; ILL/PALCI notices & bills; training dates.
- Rutgers ID#s - Update.
- Other items, information sharing.
1) Goals. Review of 2004/05 goals and discussion of key goals for 2005/06
- Beta test Workflows 2004.-DONE.
- Review reserve services and possible electronic copy only policy.-DONE
- Obtain an electronic file of graduates and use it to identify diploma holds.- DONE for NB/P graduates, pending for Camden and Newark.
- Implement new borrower authentication and registration procedures under an updated (pending) RUL-UMDNJ libraries agreement.-DONE.
- Remove long overdue books from the system; implement lost book, billing, and claims returns functions-Almost DONE (bills and assumed lost status implemented; long overdue books scheduled for withdrawal).
- Offer patrons online credit card payment option.-NOT DONE.
- Automate patron PIN requests.-NOT DONE.
- Automate claims return process.
- Introduce delinquent accounts & collections process with University Delinquent Accounts.
- Include Camden and Newark access services staff and ILL staff in the functional working groups currently operating across NBL.
- Create service standards and information service guidelines for access services desk staff and students; conduct training.
- Link reserve materials and library resources to course management systems (Sakai, etc.).
- Implement new 9-digit Rutgers Id as unique identifier for students; change SSNs to the new Rutgers Id on current and former student records in Unicorn.
- Test and implement GL3.0.
- Offer patrons online credit card payment option for library fees and fines.
- Automate patron PIN requests.
2) Access Services-Systems Academic Calendar for 2005/05-DRAFT
ASC agreed to review the draft calendar and submit updates to Judy. Reserve record withdrawal
dates will be changed, and new activities related to billing will be added. The draft includes
tentative dates for changing various system passwords.
3) Accompanying Materials - A Proposal for RUL Standards
Cataloging and Collection Services staff have started implementing some of the processing
recommendations in the proposal and we are beginning to see new labels. However, the item circ
note is not yet operational, so access services staff have not seen online messages upon charge
and discharge alerting us to the number of accompanying pieces. Tattle tape for individual CDs,
in addition to tattle tape on CD packaging, is under investigation and Collection Services is
monitoring what's available on the market. Cataloging, Collection Services, and Access Services
staff will continue discussions and work on other recommendations.
4) Billing: Notices schedule and texts; ILL/PALCI notices & bills; training dates
- Notices schedule and texts: The schedule of regular notices and the full text of each notice,
distributed to ASC before the meeting, have now been posted on the RUL website under Staff
Resources/Access Services/Procedures/Billing. The text of Bookings notices and courtesy notices
will be added in future.
- ILL/PALCI notices: Reports are now running to send out 1-day ILL/E-ZBorrow overdue notices, 7-
day ILL/E-ZBorrow bill for replacement notices, and to suspend the privileges of ILL/E-ZBorrow
borrowers at 7 days overdue so that renewal is no longer an option. ILL staff are inserting a
flier in each ILL and PALCI book. The Billing WG will work on instructions for how to cancel
bills and restore privileges when ILL/E-ZBorrow materials are returned.
- Training dates: The Billing WG will conduct training for access services staff on new billing,
lost assumed, and delinquent accounts procedures. Two sessions (same content) have been
scheduled: Wed., 8/17 in the afternoon, and Tues., 8/23 in the morning.
5) Rutgers ID#s-Update
Chris, Bob, and Judy attended a meeting held by Enterprise Systems & Services (OIT) about the new
Rutgers Id for students. Rutgers Ids will be assigned to every student record on the Student
Record Data Base, including historical students (alumni). New students will be assigned a Rutgers
Id when they first apply to the University.
The Id will uniquely identify students and will be used by various departments throughout the
university. It will contain 9 numeric digits with '00' in the 4th and 5th positions (XXX00XXXX).
February 2006 is the cutover date when Rutgers Ids will replace student SSNs. All departments,
including Admissions, will switch over at the same time. Students will need to pickup up a new
RUconnection card, which will have their Rutgers Id printed on it. If students forget their
Rutgers Id, they can login with their NetId to an online application that will provide it.
Dec. and Jan. will be testing months. Our Systems staff will receive a mapping file and through
testing will identify any students in our patron file who won't be updated with a new Rutgers ID.
Only Rutgers students will get a new Rutgers Id in Feb. 2006; faculty and staff will not. Our
patron file load order will handle dual status people. Communication with students is planned,
and we can expect to learn more too as planning proceeds.
6) Other items
- Summer Training scheduled or in the works:
- June 20-AAL training for new AAL access team members in NBL;
- June 30-Mold Awareness;
- July-Ergonomics workshop, Emergency manual review;
- Aug 25-RDS training for Access Services circulation desk staff;
- Aug 17 & 23-Billing training for Access Services circulation desk staff;
- Sept, early Oct- Information and customer service training.
- RHS may also conduct special training for library staff in buildings with labs.
- Judy and Roger are meeting with directors and access services supervisors at Dana and Robeson to
describe the work of the NBL functional groups and discuss how staffs can become involved and
- Items submitted by access services to IPAC for iLink's development queue include: number the
items on reserve lists, display Holds in the catalog, and publish instructions for browser
versions needed to use iLink (for example, Netscape 4.8 or higher). We will also ask about
eliminating "check out" in the statement "Available: ONLINE checkout" next to electronic reserve
- When access services create brief records to circulate nonbarcoded books, how long does it
generally take for a full record to get into IRIS? Might depend on whether copy cataloging is
available. We will check with Cataloging.
- Reminder that only summer session students are loaded in the patron file during the summer;
students who are not in summer school (last load 505) need to change email addresses in the
Rutgers Online Directory and with the Libraries.
7) Information Sharing
- Pat has been busy clearing Alcohol's hold shelf-- of items sent when the "please select a pickup library" message wasn't working in iLink and patron requests slipped through to Alcohol, the first library in the pickup list. Otherwise, it's been quiet in the library. The Institute's summer program will be held on CAC again this year. Staff attended an open house for the new life sciences building, which has not yet been cleared for occupancy.
- Imaging Services is closing out the FY. Some water came into the office during Special Collection's water disaster, but nothing major. Darryl attended a seminar at Villanova with A.Butman on digital scanning equipment and digitalization systems. The systems were similar to our homegrown WMS, the Work Management System developed for the NJDH.
- The NBL Security & Facilities group is planning ergonomic workshop, digitizing floor plan maps, and will join with Collection Services to update the disaster plan. Penny also reported that Douglass hosted a fund raising dinner in the library Alumni weekend, building staff are starting to discuss next phases of D21, and end of year shelving has been completed.
- Zohreh noted that reserve control records have been removed but that brief records will remain for 2-3 weeks to allow for reuse; reports listing reserve items not removed by the system will be produced. The NBL Reserves group's next meeting will be at TSB and Judit Ward will conduct a tour of Acquisitions for the group.
- Jeff reported on the water disaster that occurred in Special Collection's preservation room during welding by HVAC workers, and staff response from around the system. Gil Newton has started training and work at Alexander as assistant to the Student Coordinator. Recruitment has begun for the open RDS Coordinator position.
- Rose announced the NBL Student Assistant group is updating orientation packets for new students, including a section on emergency procedures. Student job descriptions and suggested pay rates for functional areas are complete. The group continues to work on their WebCT course with student information and training, for example online call # training and quizzes, sections on RDS and reserves.
- Barry reported NBL Billing group is using an online Word document form created by Melanie Robinson that duplicates the old photocopied diploma hold form; the document will be shared with billing staff at Robeson and Dana. The group will also look at creating a similar Word document to duplicate the Cash transmittal form.
- Myriam Alami last day is June 29; she is leaving the Libraries for a faculty position with the French department, will return for a farewell party in early July. Kilmer's RDS position will be posted soon. Meghan Lord (SERC) is helping out at Kilmer this summer.
- Roger summarized NBL personnel developments: Gillian Newton has started at Alexander, interviews are ongoing for the Supervisor 2 position at LSM, applications for RDS position at Alex are under review, and 2 positions at Kilmer will be reviewed and posted. Roger also noted he attended a customer service workshop in Philadelphia, sponsored by Palinet, with Andy Martinez, Ann Watkins, Katie Anderson, and Michele Tokar.
- Katie reported that Robeson staff will reassess the layout and contents of index tables this summer, Jean Madden has accepted the bib cat position so there are still 2 openings in technical services, and inventory is ongoing.
- RU wireless went down at Chang recently and Dean put a ticket through the RUCS help desk. Summer projects at Chang include analyzing head counts and circulation activity during evening hours. Dean will be attending the NE Sirsi Users Group meeting in Pittsburg next week. Reported on the power outage in New Brunswick the day of University Commencement.
- Andy reported it's quiet at the branches. Math completed transferring bound periodicals to the Annex (49 titles, 869 volumes), and 555 items are in the process of being transferred from the Music to Douglass collection.
- Michele updated us on improvements at LSM-- new carpet on the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd floors, a sprinkler system is being installed, and more chairs have been reupholstered. Interviews with candidates for the LSM evening Supervisor 2 position are scheduled.
- The NBL circulation group is working with the Student Assistant group on updates to the student manual, is creating helpers for wizards in WF and glossary of terms, updating AAL standard replies and will train new NBL Ask a Librarian access services team members.
- Systems has placed an order for a Pocket Circ device, may be used for remote inventory. Chris is working with Acquisition on shelf ready books, Robeson will be the test bed. Training for Systems staff on Director's Station has been scheduled with Sirsi next Friday.
- Chris announced an email message will be coming out soon that describes how we will change staff Unicorn PINs on a regular basis. Staff personal login PINs will be changed 1/year, and shared logins PINs 2/year. New PINs will be sent to staff via email. To prepare, Systems needs help entering email address into staff Unicorn login records. Supervisors may be contacted with instructions and asked to input email addresses. New staff employees will need an email address to get their Unicorn logins in future.
- Nita described the RDS training sessions being planned by a subgroup (Nita, Krista, Kristen, and Chiaki) for circulation desk staff. They are asking for input from ILL and Imaging Services; Jeff will present the session scheduled for August 25. The new Keyboard Express macros are working well, and the Pickup Notices has been updated to include information about items sent for 5-days in-library use.
- Glenn announced that LaiVon Carrington is the new ILL Borrowing Assistant and her first day is June 20. ILL is investigating the RAPID article request service, which guarantees 24-hour turnaround (on our part too). Glenn is contacting colleagues at other universities who are using and participating in the service.
NEXT MEETING: Thursday, July 14, 2005, 9:30 a.m.