Minutes of May 13, 2010 Meeting
- Judy Gardner, Glenn Sandberg, Tracey Meyer, Barry Lipinski, Dean Meister, Krista Dandurand, Rose Barbalace, Jan Reinhardt, Michele Tokar, Jeff Teichmann, Penny Weniger (recorder), Stacey Carton (guest)
Dana Library: Maggie Harris-Clark, Yoshiko Ishii
Camden Library: Eric Fizur
- Stacey Carton, guest, will discuss equipment and software in the Fordham Lab and how it can be used to develop library resources and training tools.
- Circulation of Music CDs to UGRADS.
- Holds Pickup Study, preliminary results.
- Relais update and testing checklist.
- Misc.: Rutgers Alumni Card, Print publications (Borrowing Privileges, Alumni and Community), Information Services training, Academic Holds for students with overdue E-ZBorrow and ILL items.
- Announcements and Information Sharing
1) Stacey Carton shared with the group an overview of what's available to staff in the Fordham lab and extended an
invitation to come and visit. There are many resources available for staff use as well as assistance and guidance
with project set-ups, and formulating training programs. Stacey also noted that the demo posted on YouTube
regarding Rutgers University Libraries was created in the lab. The demo serves as an example of the sophisticated
yet user friendly potential that exist within the lab and the available resources. To review the demo follow the
2) The circulation of Music CDs and DVDs to UGRADS is under consideration by the Music Librarian and Music
faculty. The new Music/Performing Arts Librarian, Michelle Oswell, would like to see more open availability to
undergraduates by allowing CDs to circulate for 3 days, but with no renewals and no holds. Billing fees are being
reviewed with a possible recommendation to increase. As well, the billing notification schedule is being reviewed
and will possibly be revised considering input from the ASC group. In terms of the notices a 4 day overdue and a 7
day bill is possible. ASC's role needs to be clear on the billing issues. The materials are mostly classical and
are of most interest to music students. Some items will not circulate, just miscellaneous CDs and DVDs, however no
VCR's cassettes will circulate. It was also noted that the materials can be returned to any RU library, but can
only be picked up from Music because they will not be eligible for RDS and delivery. Jan and Michelle will look
system wide at what other libraries are doing, e.g. contact Au at Dana Media, as there is a need to be consistent
across libraries if possible. All the procedures will be reviewed with an eye towards standardization across RUL
and the selectors need to address what can and cannot circulate. The hope is to start in the fall but
collaboration is necessary prior to inception.
3) The group reviewed the Holds Pickup Study handout. The preliminary handout noted 12 varying statistical points
regarding items being held at the units for patron pickup. Discussion ensued regarding the numbers the statistics
provided and highlighted the potential information that could be gleaned from the study, such as:
- Review of the rate of pick up and the number of days it took staff to process.
- Numbers of ILLs converted to PALCI's
- Faculty and Grad students are the highest requestor's of ILL and PALCI's
- Possibility of a new notice to users that their HOLD is being returned
- Will the numbers provided have an impact on the paging proposal
- The potential that the shopping issue (patron's making multiple requests and then not wanting the actual item) may distort the numbers
- User education may help with the shopping issue
- Looking at the number of users who might have made multiple requests
The group concluded that it would be beneficial to have this type of report run in Sept, Oct. and Nov. to allow
for continued review of the service.
4) Symphony Support staff in IIS (Systems) have received preliminary NCIP server system administration training in
Symphony. Glenn Sandberg and Chris Sterback will receive Relais training next month
After this, staff training will be reviewed. The group reviewed the timeline for migration from URSA to Relais
documentation and Judy asked for any additional items that may need to be included. The group suggested:
- Provisional needs to be reviewed
- If not available in PALCI, users can request through ILL
- One stop shopping is a goal and how it comes into our pick list needs review
- Displays results as it continues to search
- Major summer project
- User education will be needed in the fall
At this point of the meeting an item was introduced that was not noted on the agenda. The last topic under
discussion segues nicely into a paging proposal submitted by Krista Dandurand, Coordinator of the Resource Sharing
group. The following was discussed regarding the proposal.
The group reviewed the paging proposal document. Judy is looking for endorsement and will take the results to USC
for their review. The issue of cuts to the work-study work force may impact on the workflow of the department,
however, it was noted that the biggest cut was for summer work-study. The issue needs to be considered if the work
force will be reduced in the fall. It was noted that the Resource Sharing group endorses paging and overall the
ASC group agreed that the service would be a benefit to our users and it is hoped that the service can commence
- The new alumni card was reviewed. The Alumni card web-site has a link to the Libraries and verbiage on the page is being reviewed. Placement of the patron barcode on the card was illustrated (should be placed along the side) to avoid using multiply card by the users. It was noted that replacement alumni cards can be ordered on-line but they cannot be used for borrowing since they don't include a name. Judy updated the borrower's chart instructions and asked that we share with all staff and student workers the revised procedures.
- Judy asked the group for input regarding the continued use of hard copy print publications such as the Borrowing Privileges, Alumni and Community Borrowers flyers. The group felt that there was still a need for some sort of a hand-out but perhaps a smaller card with a place for the PIN number to be noted could be used in lieu of the flyers. Krista, Michele and Jeff volunteered to work on a prototype and a deadline of 6/21/10 was agreed upon.
- The training group has come up with dates for Access Services Information Services training sessions. There will be 2 sessions held in June and 2 held in July. The sessions will be in the afternoon and held in the IHL labs in Alexander. Camden and Newark staff are welcomed and encouraged to attend. A flyer will be coming and we should encourage staff to attend one of the mandatory sessions.
- It was decided that stronger repercussions were in order for the issue of users with overdue EZ borrow and ILL materials and the potential of placing academic holds was discussed. Notification would come via delinquent notices and the fining structure will be reviewed. Depending on how many records are involved, Judy will work with IIS staff on identifying and placing academic holds. A stronger enforcement is recommended and we will continue to consider the use of stronger worded notifications.
6) Announcements and Information Sharing
- The new SIC intern/resident, Gideon Thompson, will probably start his rotation in Access Services in August.
- Glenn reports that the ILS office, while quiet, is still busy. The department will have an intern, Ryan Nowlin, for the summer. Ryan will rotate between Borrowing, Lending, PALCI, Document Delivery, RapidILL, and LSM.
- Krista Dandurand noted that Paul Young will take over the coordination of the Resource Sharing group while Krista is on leave
- Barry Lipinski shared that Jill Locascio and Kevin Conover will go to Dana to work on e-reserves with Dana's Reserve staff. Paul Young has been working in the training group. Building temperatures continue to fluctuate and makes uncomfortable working conditions. Barry also notes that Kilmer has had no hot water in two years and is frustrated by the fact that Facilities are slow to respond. Communication with Facilities is difficult and a serious concern in terms of addressing building problems. Barry also noted that the Kilmer group study rooms are heavily used. Barry shared with the group a helpful and attractively done flyer "Looking for Study Space on Livingston during Final Exams? Check out These Locations" that was produced by the National Pan-Hellenic Council and posted at Kilmer. The National Pan-Hellenic Council is the governing body of eight historically African-American sororities and fraternities at Rutgers. The NPHC coordinates educational and service programming for the member chapters.
- Rose Barbalace reports that the Student group continues working on the on-line application, however, confidentiality issues are proving problematic and needs more review prior to completion of the project. Rutgers Day was successful. Rose is reviewing extended hours as relates to the budget cuts.
- Maggie Harris Clark noted that Dana's carpeting has undergone a good cleaning and new carpeting as well as new furniture is coming. Exams period has been busy.
- Jan Reinhart shares that the Media operation is finishing up its first semester of operation in the new location at Douglass. They are still awaiting furniture delivery. Climate control and fluctuating temperatures continues to be a problem and noted a graffiti problem.
- Dean Meister reported on the squirrel situation and in addressing the removal of the squirrel he noted that facilities had the wrong building number for the Annex so the exterminator was being sent to TSB rather than the Annex. However, that has since been corrected and the exterminator has placed traps on the roof. The dorm construction continues to impact on the Annex in terms of parking. The Annex parking lot has been taken over by construction trailers and the back egress to the Annex is no longer available. Visitors must enter via Davidson Road. Directions to the Annex have been updated to reflect this information. RUL shipping vans have been facing the challenges.
- Tracey Meyer noted that the recent power failure had been addressed by Chris Sterback No reason for the power failure has been given. As a result of no work-study assistance over the summer, Tracey asks that we continue to use the pager system when needed.
- Jeff shared Alex's summer building project includes window replacement and re-carpeting in the Government Document area.
- Michele reported that LSM is having the lighting renovated this summer. The group study's are popular and frequently over-booked and as a result, the Special Collection Room was opened to students during exams studying. Custodial issues proved problematic in terms of lack of supplies and no additional cleaning being done during the extended hours.
- Judy reported for Darryl that Drew is settling in, a big help and welcome presence in Imaging Services. The new service of binding thesis is proving popular.
- Judy noted that the June ASC meeting may be canceled but she will be meeting with the Supervisor Is and Group leaders regarding potential group changes.