Minutes of October 14, 2010 Meeting
Camden: Vibiana Cvetkovic (recorder), Eric Fizur, Judy Gardner (Chair), Barry Lipinski, Jeff Teichmann, Michele Tokar, Paul Young
Remote in New Brunswick: Rose Barbalace, Tracey Meyer, Glenn Sandberg, Eddie Suarez, Gideon Thompson, Darryl Voorhees, Penny Weniger
Remote in Newark: Maggie Harris-Clark, Yoshiko Ishii
Meeting called to order 10:10 AM
Library PIN Discussion
- While guest and affiliate users still need barcode and PIN for log-in and access, the library PIN is no longer used by RUL students, faculty and staff. It has been replaced with NetID.
- Judy suggested revising our borrower registration and teaching practices and written materials to reflect that.
- Info will be dispersed through the BI coordinators: Jeris Cassel (New Brunswick), Theo Haynes (Camden), and Bobbie Tipton (Newark).
- Judy will ask Harry Glazer to place a news story on the Web site. She will also send a notice through RUL-everybody (email).
- We reviewed draft edits for webpage changes. Jeff suggested including links to the Circulation Desk phone numbers whenever phoning a Circulation Desk is mentioned as an option. Additional suggestions should be sent to Judy.
- Ask-a-Librarian, tutorials, and other Reference/BI materials should be reviewed as well.
- Michele is going to draft standard replies for Ask-A-Librarian for the group to review.
- Circ Desk supervisors will remind the staff to issue PINs only to guests and affiliated users.
- Paul brought up the point that graduates need to be informed that when they become alumni their NetIDs will eventually expire. As alumni they will need to use barcode and PIN. Judy will look at wording of the courtesy notices sent to this group.
Review of Access Services Policy Memos
Memo 1 – Patron Identification and Registration - no changes.
Memo 2 – Borrowing privileges – updated to include AV, EZ-Borrow and ILL materials in addition to books.
- Overdue notices – policy statement needs to be reviewed for all categories of users. Barry volunteered to review the information in the “overdue” field.
- Reserve books – loan period information needs to be changed to reflect that loan periods may vary.
Memo 3 – Confidentiality of Library Records - no change.
Memo 4 – Theft of Library Materials
- Name of Paul Robeson library corrected. The contact information for the “Student Conduct” Web pages has been updated
- The statement about social security numbers will be deleted.
- Decided not to include information about sharing NetIDs, an infraction of RU computing policy, in this memo
Memo 5 – Lost and Damaged Material
- New Brunswick accepts paperbacks in lieu of hardcopy. The latest edition of a work is often in paperback. Decision was made that all Circulation Desks will OK paper copies particularly if it is the latest edition.
- Refunds – language was revised in the various appropriate sections of this memo.
- Darryl – The Daily Targum ran an article about the New Brunswick scanning services. Alexander Library will serve as the contact point for VHS/DVD conversion.
- Eddie Suarez - Reported on the Collection Management Working Group and staff and pub notes about requesting books with missing pages through EZ-Borrow. Judy said that questions have come up about the procedure and about replacement pages. There will be more discussion and clarification on this issue by the appropriate committees and working groups.
- Glenn – PALCI records are in the process of clean-up.
- Rose – student training group has been busy - the numbers of new work-study students has increased across all three campuses. When the Student Group meets next month it will be discussing security issues and the need for RUPD presence during late night closings in New Brunswick (a recent RUPD crime alert described incident near Alexander Library). The new RIAS payroll system, “People Soft,” will be implemented in Jan. It will be used for all RUL payroll including students. Training will be done through University HR. Students will need training on the new system for clocking-in via “Web Clock.” RU HR wants Rutgers Libraries to be on the same payroll schedule as the rest of the University.
- Gideon – currently at Douglass Library and will be rotating back to LSM.
- Maggie – Newark is beginning a shifting project. Will be meeting with supervisors to review student training practices. Reported on problem with student payroll, i.e. new students not receiving their checks.
- Jeff – East Asian Library journals are being shifted. Lighting and café projects are moving ahead. Project is due to begin in January 2011. There will be a naming contest for the café; the winner will receive an iPad.
- Eric – The Paul Robeson Library renovation project continues. The Reference collection has been moved to the new Reference area. New computer lab is being worked on and the building of the new librarian offices is underway.
- Barry – Circulation and Public Services group made a recommendation of working review appropriate Web sites for updates and corrections. Student printing at the Kilmer labs busier than ever. Printing problems related to the printer server are being investigated. Barry recommends that extra printers are needed.
- Michele – LSM, like Douglass, continues to have temperature problems. The student scanner has proved very popular. Article requests and research requests are on the rise. Michele and Jeff as the new co-coordinators for training conducted training in WorkFlows (Jeff/Michele) and Ask-a-Librarian (Michele) for the Paul Robeson library faculty and staff.
- Paul – Reported for the Resource Sharing Group. The same library holds process is going well. The number of same- library requests has not radically increased; it has stayed at around 5%. There seems to be some confusion with patrons about turn-about for requests (specifically that the hold takes time to process). Review of the off-campus requests process seems to be working well. Camden materials requested by Camden Law are held at Camden for patron pick-up. The same is true for Newark/Newark Law. A power outage at Kilmer on Sunday night required a building evacuation. Judy noted that all Circulation Desks should have working flashlights. As with the other libraries, the student scanner is very popular and helpful.
- Penny – Reported that all was quiet at the science branch libraries; physical plant upgrades are underway. Penny reported for the Reserves group. The group had a working meeting at their last monthly meeting and created a statistical gathering spreadsheet. The spreadsheet will be used to record and track various use statistics that are otherwise lost when Reserve records are removed annually by IIS.
Agenda Items for November
- Judy will be going to PACLI regional meeting in November. She will report back to group about upcoming Relais training.
- If no further agenda items – Nov. will be cancelled.