Minutes of September 8, 2011 Meeting
- J. Gardner, G. Sandberg, M. Tokar, Y. Ishii, D. Meister, T. Meyer, M. Harris-Clark, E. Fizur, J. Teichmann, E. Suarez (Recording), J. Locascio, R. Barbalace, K. Haviland, A. Martinez
- The October ACS meeting was cancelled due to scheduling conflicts. The next meeting is scheduled
for November 10, 2011. Members are encouraged to travel to Dana Library in Newark for the meeting,
which will start at 10:00 am.
2) Revised Notices Text
- Judy and Tracy looked into adding embedded links to RUL notices that would allow the patron to
click through to a page detailing further information. They found that the links could not be added
to the automated notices at this time. We will continue spelling out URLs in the notices.
- Judy took comments on the draft notices found on the ASC Sakai site. The group commented that the
notices were improved and well-thought out. Barry pointed to changing the wording in the hold
cancellation notice to "You may place" on EZ-Borrow loans. This will prompt patrons to try the
EZ-Borrow service if their holds are cancelled by Access Services or ILL. Jeff noted a typo in one of
- Judy will make the final changes to the notices and give to Tracey to implement in production.
Judy thanked Krista and Jill for their contributions to the project.
3) Preservation and DTS Tickets Draft Document
- Eddie presented the updated drafts of the preservation and dts tickets. The tickets are being
redesigned to better route damaged and items with mold to the preservation office and items with
record issues and a need for call number relabeling to DTS. The one change left to be added to the
draft was a note on the preservation ticket that materials routed to this office come with a print
out of the item's record.
- The tickets will be posted on the Access Services staff resources site and email notification will
be sent to the staff informing them of the form change and the new circulation procedures.
4) Draft Goals, 2011-2012
- Judy presented an overview of access services goals for the coming year. The group discussed the
- Development of a scanning service for faculty. The reserve group is looking into the feasibility
of scanning documents for faculty that they could then put into course management systems
themselves. Jill is noting how other academic libraries, such as the University of Chicago, are
running this service and its impact on staff and services. The reserve group is also in the
beginning stages of looking into streaming media reserves.
- The development of online maps of the RUL collections. The collection management group will look
to develop RUL floor maps to be posted online. The group will see if it's possible if any added
functionality with the catalog can be implemented into the maps.
- We will investigate the possibility of sending library notices by text messages sent to patrons'
- Updating training materials for public desks. The training group is working on updating staff
training sessions. Rose is planning on creating customer service videos for new student workers.
- The group discussed implementation of the Ask a Librarian calendar into the staff's personal
- Judy remarked that these goals and any additional ones for ASC should try to implement system-wide
application across RUL.
5) Creating temporary manual Workflows records for New Rutgers students, faculty, and staff-DRAFT
- Judy introduced new procedures for manually entering new patrons into WorkFlows before their
record has loaded.
The patron's NET ID should be entered into the ALT ID field and the Web Auth ID. If the Net ID is
not entered Alt ID field, the system may enter a duplicate record. If the Web Auth ID field is not
filled in, the patron may not log into the library services with their NET ID until they
automatically load into system.
It was noted that a patron's barcode and pin will allow them to log into some of the services on
the libraries website, such as placing holds and logging into My Account page. IIS staff
subsequently informed Judy that we should not recommend barcode & PIN login to new Rutgers
borrowers; rather follow the new instructions and get their NET ID into the web auth field
6) Symphony 3.4: Release notes, plan for testing, sign-off Nov 10th
- The Symphony 3.4 release will be loaded into the Test WorkFlows system later this month. Then
staff members testing the access services modules will be able to login into the test system and
begin testing. The group will discuss our testing experiences at the Nov 10th meeting and hopefully
sign-off on the new release. Symphony 3.4 is scheduled to be implemented in the production system
during the winter break. Judy will update the ASC sakai site with a link to the 3.4 release notes,
an updated testing checklist, and testing information.
7) Information Sharing
Tracey Meyer (Library Systems/IIS)
- Reserve Desk hours are complete for the new semester. Chris Sterback has uploaded a patch cluster
to WorkFlows. Two Zimbra training classes have been scheduled, focusing on calendars, briefcases
and preferences. She concluded by stating that an update to director's station was upcoming.
Glenn Sandberg (Interlibrary Loan Services)
- Glenn has been updating the RUL Facebook page with notes on how to obtain textbooks through EZ-
Borrow rather than ILL. It was suggested if these types of messages could be posted recurrently
throughout the semester for any patrons who may miss it in their newsfeed.
Eddie Suarez (Collection Management)
- Eddie will discuss the techniques used by staff to train new student workers on LC call numbers
and shelving with the collection management group. He is looking to see if they have developed any
new methods or have streamlined the process.
- The Douglass music collection shift is complete.
Dean Meister (Annex)
- Conducted a tour of the Annex Library for the new librarians on staff.
Yoshi Ishii, Maggie Harris-Clark (Dana Library)
- Dana will have a meeting to discuss its strategic planning initiatives. The staff is welcoming
back their work study students and is awaiting a scanner to be installed.
Michele Tokar (Library of Science and Medicine)
- The carpet installation to the third floor of LSM was completed. The carpet stretches from the new
study area (formerly the DTS office) down to the start of the bound periodical collection.
- Darryl Voorhees installed two scanners in the LSM copy center and a printer on the first floor
- Kevin Conover and Edward Suarez devised an excel spreadsheet as sign in document for the group
- Michele looked into which Rutgers offices offer faxing services on Busch campus and found that is
not available at the student centers or computer labs. She advised staff to recommend the copy
center at Alexander Library if a patron needs to fax.
- LSM is encouraging student workers to clean the circ desk PC during their shift.
- Swipe cards are needed to enter the Hill and SERC centers. The staff at SERC library has been
manually heading counting patrons since the exit gate went down.
Jill Locascio (Reserves)
- Created a Kilmer reserves twitter account to track highly checkout items.
Jeff Teichmann (Alexander Library)
- Scarlet Latte café, located on the basement level has opened.
- The patio area in front of the library is complete. Bike racks will be installed there.
- Alexander has been designated as a pickup location for the Rutgers Bike Rental Pilot Program. For
a semester or monthly fee students can rent bicycles to get around the campus. For more information
- Rob Krack was named the new Collection Management Coordinator.
- Corinne Maxwell was hired to fill the Reserve/ILL assistant position.
- The department is currently in the midst of hiring a night-time Collection Management Assistant.
- Jeff also reported that Alex's access services have two community service volunteers assisting the
Barry (Kilmer Library)
- The basement level of Kilmer library was flooded. The carpets and loading dock were damaged.
- The flood cutoff access to group study rooms.
- Services located on the basement level were relocated to the first floor.
- IRS (Institution Restoration Specialist) group brought in to survey and repair the damage from the
- Damaged carpets will be replaced.
- Currently there is no guest printing available and front doors do not automatically open.
- Reported that graduate assistants that pick up booked videos for their instructor's classes may be
accommodated on the first checkout. They will be reminded to apply for a RA card if they wish to
continue picking up booked videos. Judy will follow up with the media services staff to confirm