Minutes of October 11, 2012 Meeting
- Attending in Camden: Rose Barbalace; Henry Charles (guest); Vibiana Bowman Cvetkovic (co-recorder); Eric Fizur (co-recorder); Judy Gardner (Chair); Barry Lipinski; Andy Martinez, Jan Reinhart, Jeff Teichmann
Attending remotely from New Brunswick: Tracey Meyer, Eddie Suarez, Michele Tokar, Daryl Voorhees, Paul Young
Attending remotely from Newark: Yoshiko Ishii, Keir Reavie
Call to order
10:10 AM after addressing some technical issues with the teleconferencing equipment.
Minutes for the September Meeting
Some corrections were offered:
- # 4. Number of books being desensitized;
- # 4. Number of books being scanned;
- # 5. Corrected wording about policy for making records for law enforcement;
- # 6. EZ borrow is an automated not a manual process.
- #8. 800,000 scans not copies. Eddie will send Barry clarification.
Exact wording for the changes will be sent to Judy Gardner for inclusion.
Review of ASC Action Plan
Plan approved by the committee. Under 2.C #3 – will wait until upgrade in test system.
Placement of Barcode on New Books
After much discussion and consideration the committee has decided to concur with the recommendation that
barcodes will now be placed on the front, left-hand side of new books (or as barcode are replaced). This
placement will work with self-checkout. EZ Borrow books bands will need to be adjusted and placed on the back
cover. Will pass the group’s conclusion along to Mary Beth Weber who will announce a start date and issue
Patron Files Update
- 8,855 alumni records were loaded.
- The Paul Robeson Scholars (Honors College, New Brunswick) were manually modified (273 records).
- “Old holds” project temporarily on hold. May need to be done manually.
Authentication Procedures for RUL
Judy prepared a chart which includes all the various library services which involve authentication. The chart
shows type of user; type of credentials required; and how that authentication takes place. It will be posted
on Access Services page.
Brief discussion and explanation about the chart ensued. Suggestion was made to include streaming video. A
faculty members’ status of ‘active’ or ‘inactive’ is set by their department. It was noted that David Hoover
and Sam McDonald can trouble-shoot/explain problems with the various kinds of authentication, proxy logs and
For clarification, LDAP means Lightweight Directory Access Protocol.
Updates and Announcements
News from Camden
- Vib – Second floor renovations at the PRL will begin in late December/beginning of January. Offices, study rooms, and study spaces will be constructed.
News from Newark
- Keir - The Dana Library has new security gates being installed in the lobby, and security cameras are being installed on the lower level of the building.
News from New Brunswick
- Daryl – Positions are in the process of being filled. Now are at UHR for review.
- Tracey – Test of system upgrades next week (week of 10/15). Production system scheduled to go live in January 2013.
- Paul – Reserve group will be meeting soon to discuss increase in reserve fees. EZ Borrow was at a monthly record high in September at 3000 books borrowed.
- Michele – LSM classroom up and running after problems with flooding. Mold remediation project at the Physics library underway.
- Eddie – There will be a holdings meeting next week to discuss bound periodicals at Douglass
- Rose – Student coordinators are working on training films. Are discussing using LibGuides for presenting training materials.
- Jeff – The Art library will have compact shelving installed in January.
- Jan – There have been some issues with the new Droople forms for media bookings which Sam McDonald is addressing. The media clip service is being used extensively. Film holds are also on the rise. Fordham lab equipment and software much in demand as well.
- Andy – Last day for the Music librarian, Michelle Oswell is Oct. 26.
- Barry – At Kilmer the planning for new front entranceway is progressing. Barry also noted that he is part of a task force investigating the use of electronic textbooks (through the LRC).
- Henry – reported that shipping numbers are at an all-time high.
- Judy – reported out that she is part of the on-going discussions regarding the proposed merger with UMDNJ.
Meeting adjourned at 11:50.