Minutes of February 5, 2009 Meeting
- Francoise Puniello, Tim Corlis, Kevin Mulcahy, Judy Gardner, Elizabeth Leister, Jeff Teichmann, Myoung Wilson
There were no comments on previous minutes.
Current Alexander Projects-Francoise Puniello
- There is a possibility of a $50,000 gift from the Class of 1949. With the gift is the acceptance of a plaque to be placed in the lower level across the atrium.
- Outlet Project-Drilling has started along the Circulation desk area. Doghouses will be installed. They will be small (approx. 3"x4"). It was advised to install the doghouses because of their efficiency and if they needed to be moved, the process would be cheaper. (Currently SERC is 85% completed.) There is not enough money to do all the libraries, but Francoise has requested year end money for this.
- There has been no response from Purchasing for the furniture request for $200,000 (Article in the Star-Ledger). Francoise has not yet heard from Gail Schmidt.
- In order for the windows to be washed, the libraries would have to take on the expense.
- During a pressure testing of the sprinkler system, 3 leaks occurred in the new wing. 3rd floor had 2 sites. One located at the front of the stairwell and Administrative Offices and the other in the Administrative Office hallway. The third leak was on the lower level located by the stairwell. The leaks were a result of corrosion in the pipes which they have begun to replace today.
Reference Collection Weeding Project-Kevin Mulcahy
- Weeding has begun. Kevin is waiting for input on indexes and collections.
- Next week Kevin will be in contact with Judy, Jeff and Gracemary on the collection.
- In the next week or 2 we should see a reduction of stacks.
- Francoise informed the group that weeding needed to be done by May in anticipation of the carpet installation. It would be best for the carpeting to be installed as one and not to cut around the stacks, not to mention the appearance for future moves. For stacks to be moved at Kilmer it is approx. $3,000. (Francoise will check with Andy Martinez on the cost of moving the Alexander Reference Stacks and also with Material Services.)
- Kevin voiced concerns from Reference staff for keeping certain items. There are definite collections that will be removed. There will be splitting of indexes as things go digital, so 1983+ can go to Annex while we keep older volumes.
- By 3/1, Andy will be able to give an estimate how many stacks will be gone.
Reference Room design Sub-Committee-Kevin Mulcahy; Myoung Wilson
- The idea is to remove the monumental reference desk and replace it with 1 to 2 smaller desks. The possibility of these smaller desk s to be modular and movable is desired. Possibly desks on wheels.
- The desired site for the reference desks would be at the entrance of the reference area near the lobby (currently occupied by computer area), i.e. an "arc of vision." We want to see the patrons, and to have them see us.
- Back room area (behind current reference desk) could be used as possible group study or a small class area or reference consultation area.
- The need for reference desks are diminishing. There is not a great demand because students are going to meebo.
- For the next meeting, Francoise suggested that personnel from University Interior Design attend.
- Discussion on the card catalog brought about a consensus that we would save a section for historical posterity. Francoise will contact Diane Gravatt about removing the cards, something for "recycle mania." An email will also be sent out for those interested in the cards or purchasing sections of the card catalog.
Lobby Redesign-Judy Gardner
- Judy held a meeting with Jeff Teichmann and Rose Barbalace to discuss the Welcome Desk. Based on notes from that meeting Judy had listed criteria and specifications listing its functions, features, location, style/dimensions, signage and other considerations.
- The Welcome Desk should be approachable. Centrally located for our patrons. Along the same lines as the location of the new reference desk. The goal is to be able to see the patron. The proposal is to be across the library's entrance, between the old wing hallway and the exhibit room.
- Special considerations for the desk and usability of the desk as well as signage were discussed in depth.
- Judy made a request to consult with University Purchasing on digital signage to begin the process of information display.
- Francoise asked Myoung to tie this in to her involvement with the electronic directory research. Myoung explained that she had gone to an open house sponsored by OIT in December. She was intrigued by the Faculty Research Podcast project. These podcasts displayed faculty talking about their research. Myoung suggested that we work with OIT. OIT doesn't know faculty but our liaisons do. We can build the bridge between faculty research and students. We can please our faculty and inspire our students. Myoung will be meeting with OIT next week to discuss this further. These podcasts are available at Rutgers' ITunes.
- Francoise will contact Paul Hammond about the electronic bulletin boards in the Writer's House.