Minutes of February 27, 2003 meeting
- Paul Cabelli, Andrew Ruggier, Clothilde Twagermaiya, and Bob Hosh,Chair
- Discussion of redesigned Serials Cat. Worksheet
- Marcive Serials Postcat/Recon Project
1. Discussion of redesigned Serials Cat. Worksheet
The group focused their attention to a review and revision of a redesigned Serials Cataloging
Worksheet done by Bob Hosh. The goal was to put all of the check-off items on one two sided
worksheet to save space and paper.The new form was laid out so that all the pre-cataloging tasks
were on the front of the form. On the back or reverse side were the post-cataloging tasks
divided into two sections. The top half of the page is devoted to tasks needed for ALL titles
(New as well as title changes) and the bottom half of the page was reserved for tasks needed
ONLY for title changes.
- The first major discussion centered on the use of an extra 866 MARC
tag to inform the public of the issue sent to cataloging, the date it was
sent, and where the rest of the issues or volumes of the title were located
in the library (if necessary); and also enter this information in the pertinent
non-public sections of the title record(s) for staff use.
- It was suggested to move the “Create shelf label” task from the
post-cataloging to the pre-cataloging section of the form.
- On the post-cataloging side of the form a question was raised about
whether the “create new ABLE template” task was valid and used at LSM. I
checked and found that it is.
li>The “missing issues inventory” task was moved from the ‘Title Changes’
section to the ‘All titles’ section of the post-cataloging side of the form.
2. Marcive Serials PostCat/Recon project
In addition, the group also discussed the list of steps to be taken to process the titles in the
Marchive Serials PostCat/Recon project. It was suggested that “change ‘Date
Cataloged’ from ‘NEVER’ to ‘TODAY’ ” should be moved from
second on the list to a position nearer the bottom.
- And the group would like a clear definition of the use of the word
Done on Ellen Calhoun’s monthly Marchive new Serials List? Bob will
find out the answer and inform the group.
Minutes submitted by Bob Hosh March 4, 2003