Minutes of November 8, 2008 Meeting
- Kristen Ko, Maggie Harris, Melanie Miller, Nita Mukherjee, Antoinette Peteet, Jeff Teichmann (Coordinator), Penny Weniger(Recorder)
- Shirley Lewis
- Sandy Marsh
- Announcements/ Information Sharing
- Workflows upgrade to Symphony 3.2.1 - Testing
- Billing / ASC Goals 2009
- Collaborate with Systems staff to implement an online credit card payment option for library fines and lost book replacement fees in Workflows. (ASC)
- Work with Systems staff to automate steps in the claims return process. (ASC)
- Test Symphony 3.2.1 prior to its implementation in 2009. (ASC)
- Revise workflows and procedures to accommodate new Item Types in Workflows. (ASC)
- Revise/prepare documentation and procedures. (Billing Group)
- Billing training. (Billing Group)
- Standard Letters
- Claims returned
- Damaged items
- Returned checks
- Payment plans
- Jeff Welcomed Penny to the group on an interim basis while Nita fills in at Chang.
- Nita reports that billing issues have been minimal at Chang
- Kristen shared that she is handling her first instance of a damaged book being returned and is working with the user
- Melanie spoke of the influx of many damaged books which were discharged and points to a training issue with student staff. She is posting signs inside the desk/office area with instructions on how to handle, particularly noting the damaged items should not be discharged from the user’s record. Melanie also expressed interest in a more defining stamp be created for use when handling damaged books. Kristen noted that she has such a stamp and it was suggested that Melanie could request one from her Admin office.
- Penny noted that she is working through billing issues without Nita and has completed the first cash transmittal for the fall semester.
- Group discussion ensued regarding cash transmittal and how to handle. It was noted that some cashier offices require more
in-depth paper work than others. Livingston Campus was identified as being one such location. Additionally, it was noted that there seems to be some questions as to which banks are used by the university as both Wachovia and Bank of America have been mentioned as University banks at the varying cashier’s offices. Jeff will obtain clarification.
Workflows upgrade to Symphony 3.2.1 – Testing
On or about January 1, 2009 we will be moving to the Workflows upgrade - Symphony. In order to prepare, the group will be assigned
testing assignments. In preparation for the testing, the required software is being installed at the units. Once the assignments
are received, Jeff will contact the group for potential testing volunteers. Testing assignments should be completed by
Billing/ASC Goals 2009
Jeff reviewed with the group the various goals of the ASC related to Billing and pointed out the two goals he would like to see
the group begin working on. Upon discussion, the group felt that a refresher on billing procedures might be beneficial. Working on
the project would also require updating documentation, which is also one of the group’s goals. The following lists some of the
areas the group feels need review and possible revision.
- Cash transmittals
- Creating bills
- Paying bills
- Damaged book procedures –what constitutes a damaged book and how to handle.
- Discussion ensued regarding this and Jeff noted that the circ record can be checked to discover the times the item circulated and if the item circulated only once, it is a clear indication that the returning user bears responsibility for the damages.
- When there is a question on replacement pages it was noted that Vernon Lucas from the Preservation office is a good resource and if we need to contact him, do so through Jeff.
- It was noted that Joyce Watson is the Dana staff for damaged Dana items.
- Binding damage or stained covers is billable and should be charged the standard fee. There was a question as to the amount of this fee, is it $6.50 or $8.50?
- Recall fines guidelines
- Academic holds – placing and removing
- Diploma hold removal
- Ill/Palci billing
- Mold handling (link to Collection Management web-site)
Jeff will create a list for group review with column headings to check noting whether to “Revise”, “Create New”, or “Training
Needed”. The group also discussed the need to review the Claims Returned process to determine not only best practices, but how and
if the automated method(s) will work.
- Melanie will review all letters and work on creating standard letters as DRAFT documents for group review. They will be placed on Alex’s T drive >Billing Group folder. Melanie will e-mail the group when the drafts are ready for review.
- Antoinette will work on a standard form for documenting what was discussed with the user regarding payment plans.
- It was pointed out that this form needs to be reviewed with the user at the time it is created and should then be signed by the user indicating agreement to the terms.
As the meeting drew to a close Jeff noted that he is working on the recording of statistics and will let the group know when the
file is ready to be used. It too will be located in the Billing Group folder on the Alex T-drive. Director’s Station reports were
noted as a potential for information retrieval.
Next Billing group meeting is scheduled for:
December 2, 2008, 3pm, Media Center Classroom, Kilmer,
Videoconference locations: Dana, Douglass, and Robeson libraries