Minutes of May 11, 2004 meeting
- Ian Bogus (chair), Ingrid Diaz (Recorder), Azon De Chavez, Jamie
Maguire, Neera Sondhi
- Bindable unit thickness/binding frequency
Meeting was called to order at 9:04
- Statistics remain inconclusive at both LSM and Alex. Both libraries
appear to be averaging between 2-3 minutes per item in ABLE, but the statistics
are not inclusive enough to determine an accurate time frame.
- LINCPlus is here and seems to be working well, except for a problem
regarding the scanning of barcodes. Until the problem is fixed, barcodes
will be typed into the program instead of scanned. Both LSM and Alex will
run a test of LINCPlus for serials and monographs in the current shipment.
Provided things go smoothly, LINCPlus will be utilized full-time in the following
shipment. Bindery team members will take turns using LINCPlus in order to
familiarize themselves with the process. Ian will look into getting a dedicated
computer for LINCPlus use, as it would facilitate and expedite the workflow
at both sites.
- Due to the overflow of projects, Alex will concentrate primarily on
the SMLR project, the New Jersey Documents project, and the massive boxing/rebinding
- Bindable Unit Thickness/Binding Frequency: As a general rule, units
over 2” are split, though weight is the ultimate indicator. Units under 2” that weigh a considerable amount or contain pages that can easily come loose,
should be split. Any binding frequency changes made should not exceed two
years. For changes over two years, a selector should be contacted to make
the final decision.
Other Issues: The NBL website is being updated which calls for updated procedures
in the following areas:
- Workflow and documentation for LINCPlus
- Bound holdings
- Projects (ex: missing pages, boxes, rebinding, backrun)
LSM will write LINCPlus, missing pages, boxing/rebinds and backrun procedures
while Alex works on all of its projects.
- Bindery team members at both sites will sit down with LINCPlus throughout the week
- LINCPlus will be tested with the current shipment
- LSM will write outlines for procedures and documentation
- Ian will see about getting a computer dedicated to LINCPlus use at each site
- LSM and Alex will continue to keep stats
- Full LINCPlus implementation
Meeting adjourned at 10:04am.
Next meeting: June 15, 2004 at ALEX
Next recorder: Jamie Maguire
Backup recorder: Neera Sondhi