Minutes of March 15, 2005 meeting
- Ian Bogus (Chair), Yasu Denda, Ingrid Diaz, Jamie Maguire, Natascha Owens (Recorder)
- Planning for the end of the fiscal
- Regular activities for the end/beginning of the fiscal
- Current and future projects
- Update on Processing
1. Planning for the end of the fiscal
- Ian mentioned three potential “end of the fiscal” projects that Bindery can work on, including
(a) binding for the NJ Doc Project, (b) SMLR Project, and (c) EAL binding.
- Ian suggested that LSM assist with some of the above-mentioned projects. Jamie and Ingrid
agreed to help.
- The group has yet to decide which projects to start this fiscal year.
2. Regular activities for the end/beginning of the fiscal
- Ian discussed some of the regular end of the fiscal activities that the group will have to
work on including (a) compiling general statistics, (b) making sure funds are in order, (c)
writing the Annual Report for Administration, and (d) compiling Preservation statistics for ARL.
- The group decided to update their various procedures at the beginning of the fiscal (on an
annual basis), sometime during the late summer (perhaps August).
- Ian mentioned that at the beginning of the fiscal year, funds are “unsure” therefore LSM will
start its spending using gift funds and ALEX will start its spending using “Phone-a-thon” funds.
3. Current and future projects
- Ian listed the projects for ALEX which include the NJ Doc Project (many items will need end-
processing), Doc Serial Set (instead of buying hardbound items we will be binding the loose
issues instead), EAL (includes 1600 journals for binding, 79 to be boxed, and 2000 designated
for repair), and SMLR project (there are still Proceedings to finish as well as a huge boxing
project—many items will need end-processing).
- Jamie mentioned several projects that LSM is working on including the Missing Pages project
and the Special Collections boxing project.
4. Update on Processing
- Jamie expressed the need for certain adjustments/improvements to be made at LSM as the
Bindery/Preservation/Processing area is cramped for space and do not have enough computers for
students to use. She and Ingrid also would like to have more student workers to assist with
Processing and Missing Pages, especially with the upcoming projects.
- Ian raised the question of what to do with items that come from TSB and are found damaged
during the Revising process. This is something Ian will have to investigate further.
- Procedures will be updated at the beginning of the fiscal year.
- The group still has to decide which projects to start before the end of the current fiscal year.
- Ian will investigate how to handle damaged items that come from TSB.
Next meeting: April 19, 2005: ALEX
Next recorder: Yasu Denda
Back up recorder: Ingrid Diaz