Minutes of April 19, 2005 meeting
- Ian Bogus (Chair), Jamie Maguire, Ingrid Diaz-Silva, Natascha Owens, Yasu Denda (Recorder)
- PMI Overview
- Updates on Projects
- Update on end of fiscal year preparations
- Processing Standards
1. PMI Overview
- IB attended the Preservation Managment Institute Conference for the second week of the three
- IB is now proficient in the art of audio/visual material preservation
- As part of this program the RUL Disaster Plan will be updated to deal with various emergencies
that could potentially destroy our collections.
- JM, ID, and YD have been asked to work on the Fund Code Evaluation Project.
- The missing pages project is ongoing.
- LSM is currently processing some books for rebinding and boxing.
- DOCNJ. Binding is practically finished. Pamphlet binding and boxing will soon begin.
- The Document Serial Set binding project has been completed.
- The amount of books coming into the book repair labs is significantly greater than the amount
that are processed and sent back to the shelves. The members of the team that are involved with
book repair have set schedules with which to repair books. The schedules will not start until
after the Fund Code Evaluation Project has been completed. This process is also a test and will
be evaluated for effectiveness and impact on other work.
3. Fiscal Year End
- DOCNJ has been more expensive than anticipated. Caution should be used when binding very thin
items. We will not undertake any new binding projects during this fiscal year.
- LSM is evaluating allocation of remaining funds along side of their rebinding and boxing
4. Processing Standards
- We are embroiled in an effort to create centralized processing standards. Our part in this
task involves generating suggestions and a rough draft of a workflow/standard to discuss with
- Bindery team members have a weekly 3.5 hour quota to fulfill. This time must be spent repairing books. We will enact this quota after the PO number project.
- For processing standards, suggest to TSB that they use 362 tags to clarify labeling standards. If not, propose creation of new tag.
- Create a more specific and standardized form for book plates
- New workflow is needed to deal with accompanying material
- Titles will be added to pamphlet binds
- For 3.5 hour repair quota, each bindery member will have an alloted day. Ingrid - Friday afternoon. Jamie - Monday afternoon. Ian - Friday afternoon. Yasu - Thursday afternoon.
Next meeting: May 17, 2005: Alex Time: 9:15 AM
Next recorder: Ingrid
Back up recorder: Jamie