Minutes of September 28, 2005 meeting
- Ian Bogus (Chair), Yasu Denda, Jamie Maguire, Natascha Owens (Recorder)
- Accompanying material workflow
- Training personnel
- Team organization issues
- Round Robin
1. Accompanying material workflow
- Stamps that will be used on material to indicate how many pieces belong to a barcode have
not arrived yet. Processing will type up labels until the stamps come in.
- For current periodicals: accompanying material will go to the “BIND-PREP” shelf and paper
issue will get a sticker that reads: “Accompanying material shelved in BIND-PREP”. Jamie will
print some sheets of these labels to give to Receiving Coordinators.
- For shelf-ready materials: If a book comes with a CD, Receivers will label the CD with marker
as usual and Processing will make a label for the CD envelope as well as for the book. If a book
comes with an inserted map, these items will first go to Bindery, then to Processing.
- If any more questions arise regarding the Processing of accompanying material, Jamie will
e-mail these questions to the Team Leaders.
2. Training personnel
- Ian and Yasu will be training a fellow who is in charge of Bindery/Preservation at
- The team will have to prepare a training schedule for the new UMDNJ candidate.
- Dana: Ian and Jamie will be overseeing Dana’s bound holdings and Bindery operations and Jamie
will be Dana’s main BPP contact.
- Analysis of damaged materials: Ian and Yasu will look at the different types of damage coming
to Bindery and attempt to figure out what items can be saved, how much time it takes to fix
these items, and whether it is economically feasible. In order to make suggestions, they will
compile this information as well as look at what other institutions do with damaged material.
- SMLR: Binding of proceedings will start in the next month.
4. Team organization issues
- Performance reviews: Although Yasu and Natascha do not participate in Pay for Performance, Ian
and Jamie will meet with us individually for a review.
5. Round Robin
- Ian asked the group their opinion on combining BPP meetings with TSCWG meetings. The group
seemed to need a bit more time to think about this issue so it will most likely be discussed at
a future BPP meeting.
- Jamie will create some “Accompanying material shelved in BIND-PREP” labels to give to Receiving Coordinators.
- Ian and Jamie will prepare a training schedule for the new candidate.
Next meeting: October 18, 2005: ALEX Time: 9:15am
Next recorder: Yasu Denda
Back up recorder: Jamie Maguire