University Librarian's Cabinet: Minutes of the January 6, 2004 Meeting
- Agnew, Fultz, Gaunt, Golden, Mullins, Puniello, Tehrani, Sewell
University Librarian's Report - Gaunt
- Gaunt reported on the first Annual NJEDge.Net conference, "Collaboration Through Networking: Technology in Education," which was held October 30-31 at the Merrill Lynch Conference Center in Plainsboro. Keynote speakers include Mark Resmer, chief technology officer at eCollege; David Pogue, technology columnist of The New York Times; Phillip D. Long, senior strategist at MIT; and Michael Zostrocky of the Gartner Group.
- The University has formed a governance committee that will be responsible for developing the university's overall administrative IT strategy and for overseeing resource allocation for central administrative IT projects. The Information Technology Project Governance Committee is being co-chaired by Sandy Russell and Marie Logue. Gaunt has been nominated to serve as a member of this committee.
- Sewell, Mullins, Golden and Gaunt met as a group to consolidate the Excellence Indicators at the macro level. The group then met with Brent Ruben, who suggested that the document go to the Assessment Committee for review.
- The Libraries Faculty meeting will be held November 14. Cabinet members are encouraged to attend. Two important discussions: "Digital Collection Project Proposal Application - Collection Development and Management Criteria Questionnaire" led by Sewell and a status report and discussion on "Restructuring of the Public Research Universities and Devolution" led by Gaunt.
- Gaunt will meet with CSPAD (University Committee on Standard and Priorities of Academic Development) on Thursday, November 5 to give an update on where the Libraries are related to collections and the Digital Libraries Initiative and where they are going.
- Proposals for Grants to Enhance the Undergraduate Curriculum and Teaching due to Gaunt. Deans must endorse.
- Gaunt asked Cabinet members to make sure they are familiar with University Regulations and Procedures Manual Policy 3.6.17: Attendance During Adverse Weather Conditions.
- Agnew introduced Jane Johnson, who has joined Technical and Automated Services as a Visiting Scholar with expertise as MIC Project Manager at the Library of Congress.
NERL Debriefing - Sewell
- Sewell reported on the NERL annual meeting. Topics included: automatic budget increases for inflation, budget status at member institutions, "Project Counter," cooperative collection agreements among BorrowDirect libraries, archival rights and perpetual access language in NERL contracts, possible future look at interlibrary loan and other services language in NERL contracts, recent press for NERL principles for licensing e-journal packages, compilation of a master list of ScienceDirect print holdings for an archiving project, Swets Blackwell service for managing e-journal subscriptions. There was discussion about NERL and Elsevier and what members who opted out of the big deal are doing. The per-title cost and use of ScienceDirect titles was discussed. Sewell distributed NERL Principles for Electronic Journal Licenses.
Finalizing Academic Excellence Fund Proposals - Gaunt
- Cabinet members gave overviews of the academic excellence fund proposals that were submitted and discussed each with regard to impact on Libraries, staffing, and budgeting. Following a discussion of each proposal, it was agreed that three should be re-worked and resubmitted to Gaunt for further review.
Goal Responsibilities for 2003/04 - Gaunt
- Cabinet discussed 2003/04 Libraries goals and decided which Cabinet member or group would take lead responsibility for each goal. Cabinet will determine and monitor quality indicators and ask the Assessment Committee to take the lead in reviewing continuously what is used to measure our quality indicators. Cabinet will have the final oversight for each goal. The list of goals and responsibilities will be sent to rul_everyone.
Preparing for the Budget Process for Next Year - Gaunt
- Gaunt distributed handout from Hendrickson detailing FY 2003 State and Non-State Expenditures for Cabinet review. This agenda item will be put on the next Cabinet agenda.
Tour of the Annex - Puniello/Tehrani
- Following the regular Cabinet meeting, Cabinet members were given a tour of the Annex.