STAFF RESOURCES

University Librarian's Cabinet: Minutes of the May 15, 2007 Meeting

Present:
Agnew, Boyle, Fultz, Gaunt, Golden, Joseph, Mullins, Puniello, Sewell, Sloan, Tehrani, Zapcic

University Librarian's Report Gaunt

CDC Policy Updates - Sewell

Sewell reviewed with Cabinet two policies that were reviewed and approved at the February Collection Development Council meeting:

Principles for Licensing Digital Resources

http://www.libraries.rutgers.edu/rul/staff/collection_dev/policies/licensing_digital_resources.shtml

Much of this is agreed on language in contracts; some language is specific to Rutgers; in particular, the description of the libraries in the overview section. The "Principles" is a public document, which we share with anyone we license with so they can see our position; we make the point that we are one institution, one library. In a few cases we are still charged by campus; in most cases we can overcome it. We may want to broaden our definition of authorized users to include emeritus faculty and anyone currently advising our students; licenses currently include NJIT and UMDNJ joint degree programs, and for others we would need counsel advice; there is a group working on that. Use of the word "course packs" in 2f under Acceptable Uses was questioned; might be simpler to just use the words "educational materials". The policy states that the University Librarian has delegated responsibility for negotiating site licenses and financial terms for digital resources to the AUL for Collection Development and to the Head of Acquisitions, and therefore agreements made by other Rutgers University Libraries staff members are non-binding and unenforceable. With Cabinet's approval, the document will be forwarded to University Counsel for review, and they will let us know if there are issues they can't support.

Acquisition and Retention Policies for Journals in Print and Online Format

http://www.libraries.rutgers.edu/rul/staff/collection_dev/policies/journal_acq-retention.shtml

This policy was agreed on by the Collection Development Council and is generally practiced; had a lot of experience over the years, and particularly this year. This is a great document for implementing a policy, but what is the policy? We want to reduce duplicate subscriptions and prefer online access. The real priority is to move to electronic and reduce duplication, but how do you figure the most economical and efficient. Sewell will add a statement that these changes be made in a way that "is most effective to support research and teaching."

In section 2a concerning the "aggregator," we might not need 1b if we keep 2a. In section 2b, the word "hard copy" is used. Should use the same terminology as used previously, such as print copy or paper copy. In section 2c referring to multiple subscriptions, is it multiple print or multiple print and online? Who would allow section 5 (Supplemental Charges for Online Access with Print Subscriptions) to be asserted, and what are transfer funds and holding funds? Holding and transfer funds are the same. This is something CDC has been aware of for some time and needs to be communicated outside Council. If we are able to recoup money from cancellations, it should be put in transfer funds. Agnew brought up CD-ROM Statistical Packages and circulating CDs. Also, in 3a, the annex should be mentioned. Sewell will make the changes suggested and the policy does not need to be reviewed again at Cabinet after the changes are made.

Gaunt thanked Sewell, Mary Page, and the Collection Development Council for their work on these policies.

2008 Collections Budget Update Sewell

Vice President Furmanski agreed to give us a 5% increase on serials, which amounts to $310,000; he has also agreed to pay the $3M Harrassowitz serials invoice several months early which will result in a $90,000 discount on our serials, which totals $400,000 and covers a little more than inflation. There are some issues; Library Journal anticipates a 7.9% increase in serials. Also, we had funds available this year that we will not have available next year from refund checks for materials, including the NJKI. We also reduced the approval plan costs, maybe as much as half; by acquiring paperback when available. There is an issue with our non-state funds; every year we get $.5M from annual interest on the endowments; we get $400,000 in new gifts; most comes from the Parent's Phonothon. The Foundation now assesses 10% on all new gifts, which will reduce some of our new gift money; we always carry over non-state funds; some are already committed and some are free balance; will have a little over $1M in non-state funds next year. Overall the additional funds and the serials discount are very good news, and we are grateful to Vice President Furmanski for this and for the early notification. Vice President Furmanski also noted that if there is a reduction in finding next fiscal year, the cuts from the Libraries is not to come from collections. Sewell will discuss with Collection Development Council new money and ways to think about using the money we have. Gaunt complimented Sewell and the CDC on a fabulous job of getting us through the year with very little loss of content.

CRL Annual Meeting Report Sewell

Sewell noted that this agenda item deserves more time and preparation; would like to have a forum in the fall on CRL. We have two librarians currently active in CRL programs Jim Niessen and Lourdes Vazquez; would like to get the word out on what they are doing and what we can do. CRL leadership continues to be impressive; Bernie Reilly conceptualized what the organization is. They are doing as much as they can to make their resources discoverable and available to the membership. Anything that is sent out on ILL is digitized and made available. We might ask Public Services Council and Collection Development Council to make a joint recommendation on making CRL more accessible to our community. Probably would be good to bring some of the CRL people here to talk to our librarians and engage the teaching faculty who are involved in international programs to hear about this great resource and other possibilities. CRL likes to hear from scholars and it's a learning opportunity for them as well; could think about molding a symposium group; involve Joanna Regulska and the international studies group. Might also be a good time to bring people in to talk about copyright education; try to think about the timing so everything doesn't happen at once. We are very "happening" in terms of all they are talking about; we have the need and it brings up the value of our collection development librarians. Gaunt thanked Sewell for representing us at the CRL meeting.

De-briefing on the Mid-Atlantic Futures Conference Boyle/Gaunt

This agenda item is postponed to a future Cabinet agenda.

Announcements

Puniello

Joseph

Boyle

Agnew

Sewell

Gaunt



 
URL: http://www.libraries.rutgers.edu/rul/staff/groups/cabinet/minutes/cabinet_07-05-15.shtml
Website Feedback  |  Privacy Policy

© Copyright 1997-2013, Rutgers University Libraries   (Further Copyright Information)