STAFF RESOURCES

University Librarian's Cabinet: Minutes of the November 6, 2007 Meeting

Present:
Agnew, Au, Boyle, Denda, Dent, Fredenburg, Fultz, Gaunt, Golden, Joseph, Puniello, Sewell, Zapcic

University Librarian's Report – Gaunt

Gaunt updated Cabinet on the status of reclassification requests. We are currently holding them for two reasons—to assess the funding available and because the university is not doing reclassifications for anyone in the A/P/S/unit until the contract is finalized. Gaunt asked that Cabinet members review the current list and make any changes or additions and return them to her by December 15. We will compile a new list and put this on the agenda for after the holidays. We may proceed with those non-union positions for which we have funds, and consider the others when the contract is finalized.

As part of ongoing discussions about communications and marketing, we are considering new ways to recognize the accomplishments of our faculty and staff. The University has a few programs but they are limited; Harry has suggested an innovation award, and has prepared a document for review. Gaunt is interested in comments both on the concept and the implementation; please share as appropriate in your units and get back to her with comments. We will revise the document and put it on a future Cabinet agenda for final review.

The faculty meeting is scheduled for November 16. There are two major agenda items and an open forum following the meeting; we will finalize language for the bylaws on the councils; and there will be a discussion on priorities for faculty lines. If you haven't sent priorities for your units and system-wide, please send as soon as possible. This discussion will help in preparation for a request for new faculty lines as part of the AAUP contract settlement. Please stay for the open forum on scholarly communication and encourage your faculty and staff to attend. Gaunt will provide the context for setting priorities for scholarly communication activities, and Sewell and Niessen will lead discussions on the work of the committee on scholarly communication.

Gaunt and Dent attended the ARL Symposium on supporting graduation education. Much good information that will inform our work was discussed. Gaunt and Dent will do a general debriefing presentation for everyone.

The ARL meeting was very productive. In addition to an excellent presentation by a research faculty member in microbiology reporting on open access and his society publications, there were excellent discussions on the importance of fair use. A recent publication on the positive impact of fair use on the economy was distributed and we may want to think about how we could publicize it.

The deans will be sent a document to share with their faculty and staff on the work of the state ethics committee and its impact at the university. There are a number of changes that will be implemented by the state related to how we do our work; they include such things as honoraria, consulting and outside employment, and textbook royalties. Once that document is in hand, we will need to review its implications for how the Libraries operate and make changes if necessary.

State of the Libraries will be held November 14; all are encouraged to attend; Gaunt will be doing a presentation on the strategic plan—developing annual goals, evaluation success, and building on past achievements. Marty Kesselman and his team will do a debriefing on a program in business information literacy integration into the curriculum with the School of Environmental and Biological Sciences. Many staff and librarians have submitted their materials for the showcase.

Au sent out a note to rul_everyone about the memorial service for Veronica Calderhead; the Rutgers' flags on the New Brunswick and Newark Campus' will be lowered to half-staff in her memory.

2. Libraries' Diversity Program - Fredenburg

Gaunt congratulated Lila for pulling together the "Blueprint for Growing Our Diversity – A Proposal for Rutgers University Libraries" and getting us started; diversity is a major focus for President McCormick; a major conference is being planned for next October; we have opportunities for collaboration. Fredenburg explained that the document describes a five-part education program on diversity – each part dependent on cooperation with another department or unit; we need to be intentional to make any impact about diversity; connection and interconnection with the rest of the campus is a must; a new head of the university's diversity council is expected to be announced; if ever a time to roll out a comprehensive effort in diversity education, it's now. Fredenburg would like Cabinet's support and advice; the time line is fluid and will change. Presentation was made to the diversity and training and education committees and proposal was discussed with Karen Stubaus; everyone is excited and favorable to the idea of partnering with other places on campus – especially Mason Gross. If Cabinet knows of other groups or has ideas for partnering, please let Lila know. Lila will update the report with some of the suggestions made, and will move forward on discussions with potential partners and funding.

3. Debriefing on the Cabinet Professional Development Program – Gaunt

The Cabinet professional development program is an opportunity to join with other groups in the Libraries to benefit from professional development opportunities. As new Cabinet members were joining the organization, this was an appropriate time to focus on several topical areas useful for high-level teams in organizations. The university's Center for Management Development was instrumental in recommending programs they have done for other leadership groups that could be tailored to the Libraries. We agreed to start with two programs. Gaunt was interested in Cabinet's overall reaction to the first two programs and whether we should continue at the same pace and structure or change course. A number of good suggestions were offered on what is most beneficial—including more time for group work using the case study mode rather than lecture type presentations. We also need time between sessions to reflect and internalize learning. While devoting the time is difficult because of all the other activities, we need to consider this program a major part of our work. Most agreed that it would be difficult for real learning to take place without at least a half-day session. We also have to ensure that presenters understand that the focus of this development opportunity is for Cabinet as the team, and not the individual units as the team. CMD had suggested to Gaunt that we might also consider a coach-style opportunity, which provides support for team learning in context, somewhat akin to the case study mode. Gaunt and Fredenburg agreed to follow-up on this suggestion. From the two sessions Gaunt shared observations on some general areas where Cabinet might focus on best practices.

4. Capital Campaign – Zapcic

Zapcic sent to Cabinet the announcement about the white paper on the campaign. There are two areas where campaign priorities will be spelled out; one is in the showcase prospectus which list priorities by theme. The Libraries are prominently included as information for the 21st century. The second is in the portfolio database of proposals that include all proposals that were approved by the campaign priorities committee. The Libraries will be represented here as well. Zapcic attributes our visibility it to the job that the libraries have done talking about our role, and the value we bring to the university. There will be another revision to the statements in the showcase, but nothing substantial; official document will look very much like what we have already previewed. The portfolio database will include 630 proposals that will be available online in a searchable database, so that as we begin to talk about our needs, we'll have a place to go. Advancement Resources did training at the Foundation for development managers and deans; we think it might be worthwhile to bring them in to do a session for Cabinet and other leaders who are involved in the fundraising. In addition, we need to begin to have conversations within the libraries on what we hope to accomplish in the campaign and what is everyone's role. Now that we have the white paper and portfolio, the next stage is campaign financial goals setting, which will happen by January 15.

4. Annual Goals Setting – Boyle, Gaunt

Gaunt congratulated Boyle for pulling all the documents together to establish a grid with all the suggested goals made by Cabinet, standing committees in the Libraries, and unit goals. Each of these was placed on the chart under the appropriate strategic goal with outcomes (what's the benefit from doing this task/activity), and indicators (how will we know we achieved this task/activity). The chart represents great ambitions and we will need to prioritize which tasks we are likely to complete over then next two years, and what tasks are the most beneficial to our users in achieving a particular strategic priority. There were several questions about Cabinet's understanding of what each task actually meant or what it involved, and whether there were technical implications that we needed to know about in prioritizing. For some tasks/activities, these things were either already going on or close to completion.

We agreed that we would prioritize 1-4 with one the highest priority and 3 the lowest. Priority 4 would be for those things that are either nearing completion or those that we would do on anyway, and need not be further prioritized. If Cabinet would get their priorities to Jeanne by next Tuesday she will pull them together on a revised grid for a next review. Grace will do a pre-review for those that require technology support to determine if they are feasible. Keep in mind that we are looking for the best things we can do to advance the strategic goals.

Announcements

Dent

Met with Courtney McAnuff, the vice president for enrollment management services; one of the things we are looking at is working together with the Rutgers' future scholars program to start recruiting junior high and high school students with promise in the hopes of providing them with full tuition and room and board; a person is being hired to coordinate that program.

Met with Marie Logue who is in charge of the learning communities here; we had two meetings; she is interested and ready to develop library and information related initiatives within the learning community; interested in developing something that is our own or jointly with SCILS; will be information competency related piece within the learning communities and interested in getting on board for fall 2008. Will come to all of the councils to get feedback; they want our ideas now.

Sewell

The next issue of the Journal of the Rutgers University Libraries should be coming out any day now electronically; has been sent out for printing, but will be back later than the electronic version.

Puniello

Received email indicating that a library learning resource center in South Africa has been named after Thelma Tate; will forward message.

Alexander Reference and Lobby Redesign Committee had its inaugural meeting.

Joseph

Suellen Glashausser opening was very successful; about 100 people attended. Presentations were great. Bob will allow us to occupy one of the issues of the Journal. Isaiah recorded it so we will see if we can link from the journal to video clips.

Book Arts Symposium was a success; there were many first time attendees.

Zapcic

The DOD reports list all the gifts to an individual account or unit within a period or month; if you are not getting them, please let me know; would like to send them to unit directors; if you are looking through the list and feel moved to write a thank you note, it's a good idea; we are about to offer a funding opportunity for a faculty book lecture series and will invite faculty members who've published a book to come to the libraries and have a lunch-time discussion; please let me know if you have ideas; if it's successful, we may ask that person to endow it.

We submitted a grant for $3M to Mellon; Grace is the PI; work will impact libraries systems internationally and nationally.

Au

Working with OIT on this campus to provide wireless access to this floor and should be available by the end of next week; they are picking up most of the costs.

Attended our provost's retreat couple of weeks ago and one of the things he shared was the preliminary report from the campus-wide study on undergraduate education.

On this Friday, the first of what they hope to be a series of summits focusing on individual instruments will be held at Dana; in the lobby you'll see the installation going up of some of the trombones in the collection.

Agnew

Attended first meeting for the NJVid grant; NJEdge did a presentation at the Internet2 conference on the grant. Two states asked if they could shadow and be the next state to roll out the infrastructures. Talked about expanding the grant to the third year and have another roll out; did agree to break into two working groups. We will work with surveying faculty needs and doing the marketing roll out. Consortium that participates here is the NJDH. Linda Langschied will be that rep, with Anne Ciliberti for William Paterson, and Sherrie Prupus for NJEdge.

Denda

Denda has been serving on the Martin Luther King commemoration committee that will be planning events and serving as the clearinghouse to commemorate and recognize the 40th anniversary of his assassination and the legacy he left; have been asked to work on the exhibit; looking at building exhibits that can be taken out of the library and showcased; the committee is chaired by Delia Pitts and Cheryl Clark.

IRW is celebrating their 30th anniversary; have been asked to do an exhibit at Douglass and have a series of events related to the learning community; have been asked to work on the library component.

Boyle

Spending some time working with the VALE assessment committee; in spring about a dozen institutions will be participating in LibQual; had a meeting last week with those who wanted to participate. VALE had a study done by Palinet on the value of VALE; working with each of the VALE committees to determine their role in the assessment's findings; there will be breakout at the VALE meeting in January.

Boyle attended Gary Giglotti's assessment committee meeting; assessment and the problems of development on the campuses were discussed.

We now have 10k copies of "Know Your Copy Rights." Sewell and Boyle will meet to decide how the document will be distributed; have to stage it.

Gaunt

Gaunt is meeting with an executive group to discuss the creation of a copyright advisory committee.

Kathleen Hull is the new person responsible for the first year seminars; senior faculty teaching these courses; she is interested in having a library relationship; referred her to Valeda who will be talking about what we might be able to do.

Faculty emeriti will be able to have access to our databases. Judy Gardner has been working on a procedure by which the faculty emeriti can do this; will talk to public services about how to make the announcement. Please let Gardner know if you have names of any retired faculty who had complained about access; we will inform them of the procedures.

Gaunt will be meeting with a delegation of administrators from Russian universities who will be visiting Rutgers on Thursday to learn about operating as a system. These universities plan to merge into a system and are visiting some large sites in the US that operate that way.

We had discussed better ways to stay abreast of the work going on in each other's unit. Gaunt suggested that we devote about 15 minutes to an overview of the major areas of attention in one of the units at each Cabinet meeting. Gaunt will ask a member for each meeting to report. This need not be comprehensive, but a focus on the areas of importance about which you want Cabinet to be aware. When the agenda goes out you can send your announcement electronically for the minutes.



 
URL: http://www.libraries.rutgers.edu/rul/staff/groups/cabinet/minutes/cabinet_07-11-06.shtml
Website Feedback  |  Privacy Policy

© Copyright 1997-2013, Rutgers University Libraries   (Further Copyright Information)