STAFF RESOURCES

University Librarian's Cabinet: Minutes of the December 4, 2007 Meeting

Present:
Agnew, Au, Boyle, Denda, Dent, Fredenburg, Fultz, Gaunt, Golden, Joseph, Puniello, Sewell, Zapcic
Guests:
DeEtta Jones, Judy Gardner, Harry Glazer

University Librarian's Report – Gaunt

The governor's budget message will be given in early January; at that time we should have some indication of next year's budget and plans for monetization of the turnpike and parkway. State agencies have been asked to model a 20% cut, but not sure if the university will ask us to do the same. We will put budget planning on a future agenda after the governor's message; the university may give us planning scenarios as well. We will also need to deal with the funding of the NJKI—both this year and next. Sewell is meeting with VP Blimling's student groups to secure their assistance in contacting the governor and legislators with their perspectives on the loss of these databases. The Targum article on the NJKI was very effective. The State Library will be gathering information for us about the costs of purchasing the extra months of coverage for this year if we do not get the funding restored. Fredenburg, Hendrickson, Gaunt and Sewell will look for funding sources, and Sewell will discuss with the Collection Development Council.

For next year's budget request the President's Council – presidents of all of the higher institutions in NJ—are asking the governor to fund the salary increases and a 3% increase in operating budget. They feel this is a modest request considering the state of the budget.

K. Stubaus has asked all units to use the HERC website, which is the website for HR postings for higher education. The NJ portal will be expanding and will have more postings than the Chronicle of Higher Education. The website is being redesigned and users will be able to search for postings by institution, state, and position. It is free to members to post. The Libraries are already sending all of our faculty postings to the HERC.

Associate VP Joan Bennett is focusing attention on women leaders in higher education. She has created a website with information on many programs available, and has asked all units to consider the professional development programs and grants available on the site.

VP Furmanski has commended our diversity education program and noted that it will coincide with the president's programs and conference on diversity.

Gaunt distributed two documents: the new grievance procedure for faculty who have been denied tenure, and the SAS-New Brunswick plan for strengthening the South Asian Studies program. In reviewing the document related to the area studies programs, we will need to determine how these plans will affect our faculty recruitment, collection development, and cataloging. As we look at new library faculty positions, we may want to consider these in our funding request. VP Furmanski has noted that the Libraries are included in these new positions. The new grievance procedure will be discussed at the April promotion and tenure workshop for faculty.

Introduction of DeEtta Jones, Library Consultant – Gaunt

Gaunt introduced DeEtta Jones who is the professional development consultant for Cabinet. Jones was a program officer at the Association of Research Libraries for ten years and responsible for diversity and leadership programs before starting her own consulting firm.

Jones was engaged for the second phase on team building for Cabinet following the programs from the University's Center for Management Development. Jones will be attending the next four Cabinet meetings and coaching on team building and interpersonal leadership and organizational skills. As Jones is familiar with librarianship, this next level of programming will be more focused on practical applications. For this first meeting, she will focus on observation, but interact where she thinks she should. At the end of the meeting will offer suggestions and outline ideas for the next meeting. Jones explained to Cabinet that she is a professional facilitator, and commented on the value of having outside eyes paying attention to group processes, opportunities for enhancing effectiveness, and focusing on content. She will create a framework for our discussions and propose it to Cabinet. She also welcomed discussion with individual Cabinet members.

VALE Pilot Program for Reciprocal Borrowing for Undergraduates – J. Gardner

Gardner gave Cabinet background on a letter sent from Julie Maginn on the VALE Pilot Program for Reciprocal Borrowing for Undergraduates. She explained that although overall circulation statistics have decreased over the year, the one area growing is resource sharing (ILL). She discussed the ways that the program will be advertised – a poster session at the VALE Users' Conference in January, and an updated brochure on the web with copies distributed at various libraries. Gardner reiterated that these users are already eligible to receive materials on interlibrary loan at their local libraries; this proposal is just another avenue to make materials more readily available, and it is just a pilot. Gardner noted that we have from January to June to recruit other libraries to participate and thinks that people will sign up at the VALE conference. Cabinet agreed that it would be good to participate in the pilot project and to reiterate that we would like many others to participate as well. Gardner will keep us apprised of the progress.

Goals Discussion – Gaunt/Boyle

Gaunt explained that she and Boyle reviewed Cabinet's rankings of the goals since the November Cabinet meeting. There seemed to be different interpretations of the four categories. For those ranked "4" some of the goals were not completed or were still being worked on, and since they skewed the numbers, we decided to change them to 2's. This didn't seem to change the overall averages significantly.

There were a few things not in the same order, but as the averages were so close together, the difference was not useful. As a result, Cabinet decided that it was better to see all the individual rankings rather than just the averages, and that it might be better to characterize the goals as two groups—top tier and second tier goals. All of them are important, but the top tier take priority and the second tier can be accomplished as long as they do not deter from completing the top tier goals.

To have a complete grid we will need to add who or what group is responsible for overseeing that the goal is accomplished, and the outcomes and measures. We can continue to work on this and improve the process. In the next iteration we may also want to consider how the gorals are reviewed before they come to Cabinet so that the work of each unit is equally balanced. The document will need more fine tuning for the next stage; but we will review them again at mid-year. At this point we need to share the results with everyone, including a cover memo explaining the process. Gaunt thanked Boyle for pulling all this information together, and for beginning a process by which we can develop and measure progress on annual goals mapped to the strategic plan.

Revised Innovation Award Draft Guidelines Discussion – Glazer

Glazer discussed the draft guidelines for an innovation award; noted that we are looking at innovative ideas recognized and carried out that were not part of a committee's work or an assigned task. Some examples of innovation are the library toolbar, the streaming media video for the Fordham Lab, BookRoom, and Gary the Cybrarian. The award should apply to individuals or teams. If Cabinet approves the concept, the guidelines can be tweaked so that "behind the scenes" things that are not so obvious to the user can also be recognized. After several iterations, an overall sense of what falls into the innovative category will emerge more clearly. The award wording might be changed to say that the project is independent requiring institutional support of $200 or less. Since it's such a small cost, suggested that it be done more often than once a year; would give people more incentives and opportunities to be recognized. We could start next semester and include work accomplished during the fall semester of this year for awards. Once we do something like this, other ideas for employee recognitions will emerge. One suggestion is to make the recognition ceremony part of the State of the Libraries. The chairs of the two new councils were recommended to be included on the judging committee. Fredenburg will review university guidelines for awards. Cabinet agreed that we want to pursue the program; expand it to ensure that it's for everyone; student employees should be included as well. Glazer will revise the outline with the comments and share via e-mail.

Cabinet Unit Update – Puniello

At a previous Cabinet meeting, Cabinet decided in lieu of announcements that can be shared via e-mail, time at each meeting will be devoted to an overall update of key issues/activities in a Cabinet member's area of responsibility. Announcements are to be sent to Fultz electronically and they will be included with the minutes.

Puniello was asked for an overview of her area. She noted that facilities planning and maintenance intersects with every other area. She has worked a great deal with Dent and her staff on how facilities support public service activities; she has partnered with Boyle to discuss the LibQUAL+ report's findings about facilities and the particular needs of the graduate students and facilities, and assessment. Thanked everyone who is working with her; she is primarily a project oriented department at this point; currently working on group study rooms and where they can be constructed easily and at low cost; finished two in Alexander; there will be four by the end of the semester at Kilmer; researching the possibility of two more at Alexander. Puniello has spoken with Gary and Au on needs in their buildings. A pressing issue is temperature in buildings and the lack of electrical outlets; despite wireless capacity, students need outlets for all their devices; currently assessing the need and cost of outlets in all buildings. Bill Puglisi and Puniello met with each administrative assistant in all buildings to survey everything that needed to be fixed; what we have to do and what facilities has to do; meeting with area manager at University facilities. Formed a steering committee and working with Mary Beth Weber to discuss the card catalog and where reference service is going in the next 5-10 years to determine the most useful configuration of the reference room in Alexander; will visit other libraries with great reference departments; information gathered can be applied to reference rooms planning in all libraries. Finished the Fordham Multi-media Lab in Douglass Library and are planning for the grand opening in late January. Other areas in the works include: monitoring the fire suppression system in Special Collections, the window replacement project, working on finalizing campaign proposals, meeting with graduate students; for second semester, working on a concept document for the science library; need to have more detail about what it means for potential donors; working with various groups to assess security in our facilities; working on documentation and emergency procedures. Will prioritize facilities needs for potential end of the year funding. Gaunt noted that while teaching a graduate class at SCILS last week, students asked about Alexander Library; they want to know when we are getting cafes in our buildings; they are interested in space.

Announcements

Boyle

The Copyright Alliance, which includes the RIAA, MPAA, Microsoft, CBS, etc., has developed a set of questions for the presidential candidates. The head of MPAA says that IP rights are a key issue for the candidates. The questions were sent in late November with a cover letter from the executive director of the Copyright Alliance.

Innovation:

Copyright protection has ensured America's creators have the opportunity to be fairly compensated for their works. How would you promote the progress of science and creativity, as enumerated in the U.S. Constitution, by upholding and strengthening copyright law and preventing its diminishment?

Digital Marketplace:

How do you feel the rights that have served our economy and spurred creativity in the physical world should apply in the digital world?

Enforcement:

How would you protect the incentive to create by committing sufficient resources to support effective civil and criminal enforcement of copyright laws domestically and internationally?

American Competitiveness:

How would you ensure inclusion of copyright protections in bilateral, regional and multilateral trade agreements to protect creators and foster global development?

Speech:

How would you protect the rights of creators to express themselves freely under the principles established in the First Amendment?

More information is at: http://www.zeropaid.com/news/9115/



 
URL: http://www.libraries.rutgers.edu/rul/staff/groups/cabinet/minutes/cabinet_07-12-04.shtml
Website Feedback  |  Privacy Policy

© Copyright 1997-2013, Rutgers University Libraries   (Further Copyright Information)