STAFF RESOURCES

University Librarian's Cabinet: Minutes of the October 19, 2010 Meeting

Present:
Agnew, Boyle, Fetzer, Fredenburg, Fultz, Gardner, Gaunt, Golden, Izbicki, Puniello, Winston
Excused:
Niessen
Guest:
Purger, Butman

University Librarian's Report - Gaunt

The university held its kick-off gala for the public phase of the capital campaign at the New Jersey Performing Arts Center in Newark on October 13; about 600 people attended. More than 300 Mason Gross School of the Arts performers entertained donors. The campaign video, narrated by Avery Brooks and on the Foundation's website, was unveiled. Coach Greg Schiano gave a motivational speech, and the Governor spoke about making this the best state university in the country. "The Case for Investment" was distributed. The IJS is featured in "Stories of Impact and Opportunity."

Attempting to set up a meeting with OIT on media streaming; we have the potential for multiple venues for media streaming—through the Libraries, Continuous Education, NJVID, etc. What is in the best interests of our users?

Gaunt is reviewing with Fredenburg the impact of the loss of positions—both staff and faculty—as we returned open lines in budget reductions. While the fiscal amount of cuts remained even across the units, the number of lines lost was related to vacancies at the time. This could inadvertently skew the ratio of faculty and staff available on each of the campuses. Gaunt shared with Cabinet a handout that was a first attempt to look at staffing across the campuses related to population served and hours of operation. Central services were not accounted for in this chart as they support all campuses. Special Collections, University Archives, and IJS were also not included as they are special services. We can make comparisons separately. Gaunt asked Cabinet for other data that might be used to demonstrate impact. Golden noted that the numbers didn't take into consideration the Rowan students, and that he would need more time to review the numbers. Gardner noted that the Robert Wood Johnson/University of Medicine and Dentistry population was not included in the numbers, as well as IJS and Special Collections, which are growth areas. It was suggested that we could run two scenarios – one with the external populations and one without, and include the impact and see if we can make a case on that distinguishing mark. The only problem is the impact is the same whether you include them or not. They come in the library and ask questions, etc. It was also suggested that we should look into exit counts for the libraries. Agnew suggested comparing students to librarians and students to teaching faculty to see how we compare to the rest of the university. Cabinet agreed to run the numbers again based on the discussion and determine if we want to go further.

VoIP – Agnew, Purger, Butman

The VoIP (voice over IP) project, headed up by OIT's TD department is a five-year project planned to roll out VoIP across the New Brunswick/Piscataway campuses. The work will essentially be done in four main phases based on infrastructure readiness and geography with sub phases based on building and department readiness. Space has been allocated for the Newark and Camden campuses; however, there are currently no plans underway for a migration to VOIP on these campuses.

The entire Livingston campus is cutting over to VoIP on December 3. The Kilmer Library will move to the new phone service on that date, together with the rest of the campus.

Everyone will have new equipment and an individual phone number. The area code 732 will change to 848 for all VoIP numbers. After the cut over, users will have direct dial numbers and voice mail where applicable. Butman is investigating how to maintain or improve all of our current functionality with the switch to VOIP. Patrons will not see any difference other than faster service. From an internal perspective, the opportunity exists for more enhancements than we can achieve now. Stationery, business cards, websites, etc. will need to change.

End-user training for all users affected will be held in Davidson Hall November 29, 2010-December 3, 2010. Butman will work with everyone at Kilmer to accomplish their transition by December 3. The transition includes support for equipment installation, current functionality, publishing new numbers (websites, etc.) and training.

Butman sent to Fultz pertinent information on VoIP, which will be posted on the Cabinet Sakai site. Information regarding timeline and other pertinent information may be found at http://voip.td.rutgers.edu/.

By the end of today, Gaunt will put together a team to work on the process of implementation at Kilmer and address issues identified.

RUL Privacy Policy – Boyle

Boyle explained that the task force has been working for over a year on the privacy policy that addresses what kinds of privacy protections our users can expect from the Libraries. University Counsel has read and approved the policy; now ready for Cabinet approval. Kranich has undertaken a privacy audit as part of the process to examine what records are kept in each unit and determine what they are retaining with user information; Newark and Camden have yet to be audited. Winston and Golden would like their campuses to have a privacy audit to ensure consistency, completeness, and accuracy. Boyle shared with Cabinet a list of electronic information stored by the Libraries. Agnew noted that information in RUcore is never publicly displayed and would not be removed. Agnew said the privacy policy is well written and we should approve; Puniello seconded it. Gaunt thanked the task force for doing an excellent job; informative and educational. A reference to the policy will be posted on all pages of the Libraries' website, and the policy itself will be on the Libraries policies page. Additional materials will be added on the matrix, and Boyle will work with the task force on training materials and sessions. Fredenburg recommended that the Training and Learning Committee assist Boyle with training.

LibPAS Update – Boyle

Boyle reviewed with Cabinet the spreadsheets documenting practices for collecting RUL statistical information; Cabinet members were asked to review their sections and fill in names for who is responsible for data collection (data entry column) and review (approver column) for data elements in the unshaded rows. We are proposing that a number of items be extracted from IRIS rather than collected manually. Items in grey are the items you would no longer have to report locally. Performance indicators have been set up in the system and account for who we believe has been reporting those performance indicators; Cabinet members need to verify that these are the individuals reporting those items. Boyle will then set up a data entry page for each person listed so when they log on they will see their page and be able to input their information. We want to drill down to the lowest level for data entry. There is no reason for anybody to have a spreadsheet on their desktop. They will input the data, and then managers can extract it. The system can be staged so that a staff member can enter something and the supervisor can check and approve it before it is collected centrally. Do you want an intermediary person reviewing the data before it comes to us? Initially, Boyle did not plan to use intermediate approvers, but it may be beneficial as we roll the system out across the Libraries. Each box on the chart distributed can only have one name.

To a question regarding definitions for the statistics so that everyone is interpreting them in the same way, it was recommended that we use the ARL definitions for what is reported nationally; there is a way that someone can click and see the definitions; will go over all the definitions in training. If someone is going to be away, we can set up another account and make that person responsible.

Right now we have a two phased implementation – national and local. After the national reporting is set up, Boyle will meet with the people who will be entering and approving and go over the definitions. Please get information to Boyle by the next Cabinet meeting.

Faculty Recruitment/Target of Opportunity - Gaunt

Gaunt distributed two documents for consideration, a 2008 description of "Potential New Library Faculty Positions" and a "Target of Opportunity Hiring Plan" compiled last fiscal year. The new faculty positions document is the result of a Cabinet exercise before the loss of positions through budget reductions when there were vacant positions to be recruited; the target of opportunity plan was a three- year plan to recruit a more diverse faculty through the target of opportunity program. Some of the individuals who were recommended may no longer be available. There is funding for a new faculty hire using the funds allocated in the current AAUP contract for new tenure track faculty whereby each unit was given funds for a hire. We will need to make an offer this fiscal year.

Cabinet members suggested the following principles to guide discussions of new faculty positions, and possibly target of opportunity hires as well:

Gaunt suggested for the potential new faculty position that Cabinet members review the document and consider if we have identified the best positions; would like to have a recommendation to Cabinet within a month for consideration so we can recruit. For the target of opportunity, we've identified some good people; we will lose them the longer we wait. Do we want to make a decision at the same time we determine the new faculty hire? Should we consider them together? It would be ideal to diversify the faculty with both positions. Executive VP Furmanski has always said that the target of opportunity is not to replace the Libraries own hiring practices; every recruitment should be viewed as an opportunity to diversify the faculty.

For everybody who recommended one of these positions, make sure those individuals are still viable. If others come to mind they can be suggested as well. Gaunt also suggested that we seek advice from the Planning and Coordinating Committee. That doesn't preclude Fetzer, Golden and Winston seeking advice from their librarians; use these documents as starting points. We want a robust and diverse pool.

Gaunt will re-post the "Potential New Library Faculty Positions" document.

Budgeting Framework Discussion – Gaunt, Boyle, Fredenburg

Due to time constraints, this item is tabled to the next Cabinet agenda. Gaunt is interested in feedback. If you have suggestions fro revisions, send feedback to Gaunt and Lila via email; will revise the draft and send you new one with language you have contributed for the next Cabinet meeting.

Announcements

Boyle: Attended the ARL-CNI Forum "Achieving Strategic Change in Research Libraries" last week in Washington, DC; will report at the next Cabinet meeting.

Today ARL released The ARL 2030 Scenarios: a User's Guide for Research Libraries; will look at it very closely to see if they can be used in our strategic planning process.

Izbicki : Indicated the distribution of non-state money will be completed when Hendrickson returns from vacation; we are also readjusting our publisher list and have redone non-subject parameters with our approval plan vendor; this should save about $100,000 per year.

Reminder that Izbicki will be going on leave in early November; if you need anything, please ask by Halloween; will return on November 15.

Fetzer: The Libraries received good publicity in the Targum recently on our installation of public scanning machines.

The grant to help the University of Liberia has been submitted to USAID; Jim Simon from SEBS has been the lead person for Rutgers. Our Libraries' major contribution would be toward the Agricultural Center of Excellence focusing on the purchase of TEEAL, The Essential Electronic Agricultural Library, and on archiving materials from AgNIC on high capacity hard drives; Kesselman has been the point person on this. The grant is for $18.5 M over a 5-year period to be split, hopefully, among a number of institutions.

Mentioned at the last Cabinet meeting that I am setting up two groups; am about ready to send out the charges. Chat Reference Services Task Force asks people to find the ideal service levels for us at Rutgers; recommend whether it should continue to be a volunteer service or one that draws upon all Rutgers public service librarians; will be asking the Task Force to investigate existing options and given a list of things to consider; deadline of February 15, 2011. The Information Literacy Implementation Advisory Committee is in response to a number of areas. Asking them to agree on a common definition of information literacy; identify existing practices, commonalities on campus and in disciplines; conduct focus groups and interviews with teaching faculty; recommend steps we can take to move the basic program further; have asked for an initial report in February 2011 and a final report in May 2011 to Gaunt, the AUL-RIS, and the User Services Council.

Fredenburg: UHR is working to update the policy on Type 4 employees; my staff and I have been gathering information about type 4s and will meet with Gaunt, and then each of you regarding how your Type 4 s fit into the new policy going forward.

Agnew: Vale OLE initiative is kicking off; the technical committee met last week; the steering committee is meeting tomorrow at TAS; Agnew is on the steering committee and liaison to the technical committee

Golden: A new OIT computer lab with over 175 computers is being built in the Paul Robeson Library. We are meeting with OIT to begin discussions on combining an OIT information desk with the Paul Robeson Library reference desk. There will be an initial help desk as you enter the library and, beyond this desk there may be a combined OIT/Reference desk.



 
URL: http://www.libraries.rutgers.edu/rul/staff/groups/cabinet/minutes/cabinet_10-10-19.shtml
Website Feedback  |  Privacy Policy

© Copyright 1997-2013, Rutgers University Libraries   (Further Copyright Information)