STAFF RESOURCES

University Librarian's Cabinet: Minutes of the September 18, 2012 Meeting

Present:
Agnew, Boyle, Fultz, Gaunt, Golden (VC), Izbicki, Just, Mullen, Puniello (VC), Winston (VC), Womack
Absent:
Fredenburg

University Librarian's Report – Gaunt

All Funds Budgeting: It has been seven years since all funds budgeting was introduced to the academic units of the university, and the Executive VP for Academic Affairs will be creating a task force to review its effectiveness and make corrections as necessary. At the same time, President Barchi is recommending that units prepare a 3-5 year budget. This will require units to calibrate the percentage of student enrollment growth and the balance between in state, out of state, and graduate students over time. This is also a time for the Libraries to request a review of the basis on which the Libraries budget is created. Deans have been reminded that state revenues are still behind projections, and that we should be cautious with spending should any cuts come mid-year.

Strategic Plan: The university is in the process of selecting a consultant to assist in the process of developing the university's strategic plan. President Barchi has made the plan a priority over the next six months; it won't have a lot of detail but recommend as many as six strategic areas on which the university will focus. All schools will be asked to align their strategic plans to the university's new strategic plan. We may want to reshape some of our goals depending o the university's direction. After the plan is developed, the university will develop a capital master plan to support it. It is likely that the medical/health sciences will be a priority as a result of the integration of UMDNJ.

Integration of UMDNJ: We are planning assuming the Board of Governors/Board of Trustees will approve the legislation; they expect the board to vote in December. The Boards are focusing on the fiduciary implications.

University Organizational Issues: President Barchi is reviewing the organizational structure of the university related to the UMDNJ legislation and re-alignment of responsibilities. Will be doing a national search for the chancellor in the biomedical and life sciences; likely to have a provost in New Brunswick; reviewing the position responsibilities of the VP for Students Services. Finance and Administration will be split, and Bruce Fehn will retain Administration while a national search will take place for the VP for Finance. Nancy Winterbauer will report to that position.

Copyright Discussion – Boyle/Janice Pilch

Pilch reviewed with Cabinet three documents to illustrate the range of copyright issues associated with various library digital projects: Rutgers Optimality Archive Sampling Project; IJS Oral History Project Summary of Copyright Issues Related to Digital Use; and Beth Mardutho Library Copyright Assessment Chart. Pilch noted that we need to determine a sequence of events that would make projects more efficient; we have tremendous resources and all the ingredients. Pilch also made a presentation on the Legal Workflow for Digitization Projects. The presentation identified the most efficient way to get more projects to completion, the order of the legal workflow, and the substance of the legal workflow. She listed successful results this year, which included success/progress with eight of nine projects. Pilch noted that the “rights” process is composed of several steps: gather facts, assess risk, and identify planned use of material by Rutgers University Libraries, planned use of material by end users, the legal basis for digitization, rights management, legal workflow, and suggestions. The PowerPoint presentation will be added to the Cabinet Sakai site. The copyright discussion will fold into the digital priorities discussion on October 2. Boyle noted that Sherrie Trump will come to the meeting to discuss digital priorities.

ARL Statistics - Boyle

Boyle noted that ARL statistics is a short agenda item with a short timeline; statistics are to be submitted by October 15, and she only recently received ARL's new definitions. ARL has been moving to an expenditure model for doing the ranking. They are stopping the collection of several counts. In addition to ARL, the other agency we report statistics to is the National Center for Education Statistics – the ALS. They have not yet changed to the extent ARL has, which complicates our life. We have been able to get their draft instructions for the year, so we know what they will be asking. Where we are in LibPAS implementation is to set up the collections and do the training; we will train four people. When we started the process of LibPAS implementation, we said we would focus on ARL and ALS. For ARL, we set up a spreadsheet doing a side by side comparison of the revisions and the previous survey. ARL instructions are very well done because they highlight the changes that are being made. We knew this would be a tight time frame and have used Director's Station and set up many different kinds of reports.

Discussion of ILIAC Report – Just/Bobbie Tipton

Gaunt welcomed Bobbie Tipton, chair of the Information Literacy Implementation Advisory Committee (ILIAC), to Cabinet, and thanked the committee for doing an excellent job in preparing their report. She noted that the summary gives a very concise overview of the report. It has not been distributed beyond Cabinet and the USC. Following our discussion it can be distributed to a wider audience. Tipton will discuss the findings, and Just will discuss the recommendations and where we go from here.

Tipton noted that people are familiar with the purpose of the report; the committee was asked to find out what faculty members' expectations are; interviewed 22 faculty members individually; asked them a set of prepared questions. The first thing that surprised Tipton was that our faculty are deeply involved in teaching and mentoring the research process; they understand the value of literature reviews and trying to get their students to expand their research. Doesn't matter what field they are in; unanimity of responses across all faculty interviewed is amazing. They come together in the research process. In the second finding surrounding expectations for students' ability to find and use information when they enter classes, we found unanimity in the awareness that many students are severely underprepared. The question centers on the direction in which they are underprepared. When asked whether they currently incorporate information literacy skills or research proficiencies into their classes, and in what ways, the answer was of course, but there was some agreement and disagreement as to the ways. All have very careful and guided methods for working their students through the research process appropriate to their area. Nobody questioned our value. As to what expectations they have for graduating students, there were many. Up until now most faculty have said similar things; now we see divergence. People use us in different ways – online resources, paper resources, and interlibrary loan. It was predictable when asked to what extent these issues are discussed in your department; some talked about it because it's a part of their field work, but faculty don't really have any place to talk about these things. Everybody had different ideas of what we should be. The question is which ideas do we want to pursue; which will be effective; and which will further our strategic goals the most; where and how can we demonstrate our value.

Just noted how the process was delayed since the 2010 charge. The timing of the release of the report is perfect; Cassel played a key role in instruction and is forcing us to rethink how we are providing instruction. Just sees this report as giving us a blueprint for how to move forward. The report provided a list of five initiatives for immediate action; as well as six general recommendations for future action. The six general recommendations are things for us to focus on as we think about how to repurpose Jeris' position. We are working on describing an instructional design librarian position to help us meet these goals. We discussed the idea of implementing an instruction task force to look at how we are working with our campus constituents; how we are working internally; and for a way for that dialogue to happen in a focused way. May incorporate discussions into the community conversations that Kranich is leading with faculty. Some things we are working on for immediate action, including a very complex item which is enhancing online instruction efforts. The ILIAC report gives us a strong foundation for moving forward.

Gaunt thanked Tipton and the committee for shepherding this important report through to completion.

Announcements

Izbicki estimates savings to date that impact the state materials budget and so far realized $132K in renegotiations, cancellations and other changes; will rebalance the central funds so we can allocate more proportionally to selectors.



 
URL: http://www.libraries.rutgers.edu/rul/staff/groups/cabinet/minutes/cabinet_12-09-18.shtml
Website Feedback  |  Privacy Policy

© Copyright 1997-2013, Rutgers University Libraries   (Further Copyright Information)