STAFF RESOURCES

University Librarian's Cabinet: Minutes of the July 16, 2013 Meeting

Present:
Agnew, Boyle, Fredenburg, Fultz, Gaunt, Kuchi, Izbicki
Absent:
Cohn, Golden, Mullen

University Librarian’s Report - Gaunt

Executive VP Edwards has asked the deans to begin the strategic planning process for their units based on what we know currently of the university’s plan. The major themes are unlikely to change and we can continue to refine our plans as the university process continues. The chancellors have been given funds to advance strategic initiatives on their campuses; we should align our planning with each campus, which means that we need to be aware of what the departments consider priority initiatives. Per the new legislation, Camden and Newark campuses will now be given their budgets directly; some of these funds - $3M for Camden and $7M for Newark have come from a reallocation from central funds. As a result, departments on the New Brunswick campuses may see a reduction in their budgets this year. There was some discussion of RCM budgeting; it will start in 2014 and run parallel with the current budgeting system for two years. We are unsure when it will be applied to the Libraries.

The Association of Public and Land-Grant Universities (APLU), of which we are a member, is partnering with Mississippi State University to host a meeting of librarians, archivists, digital humanists, historians and others to discuss the creation of the Virtual Archives for Land-Grant History on September 10-11. It is an attempt to construct a single portal through which the records and materials surrounding the nation’s land-grant universities can be accessed. Ron Becker will be attending the meeting for RUL.

We are in the process of determining costs to join the HathiTrust through the CIC. Our collections will be matched against the current holdings of the HathiTrust. Mary Beth Weber will be our liaison. As soon as the process is completed we will report to RUL.

Janice Pilch has been working with the general counsel’s office related to establishing a university policy on data ownership so we can finalize a data deposit agreement for RUcore. This has been noted as an institutional priority.

Melissa Just noted that President Barchi and Vice President for Research and Economic Development Breslauer have requested the development of a strategic plan for an Academic Cyberinfrastructure ecosystem as part of Rutgers' long-term strategic plan. As part of this ACI strategic planning process the ACI committee will assess ACI requirements and ACI-enabled opportunities at Rutgers through a set of working groups and town hall meetings. The initial town hall meeting is scheduled on Wednesday, September 18, 2013, from 1-4 PM at the Busch Campus Center, and will focus on discussing the strategic planning process, identifying the key focus areas of the strategic plan, forming the working groups, and defining objectives for the working groups. Just will forward the message she received to Cabinet.

We have received all the Integration Committee reports on what needs to be accomplished in the first 100 days of integration. Gaunt and Cohn will consolidate documents and meet with committee chairs. From a quick review we think it would be good to keep the teams working in their areas so tasks can be continued by those already engaged, and ensure that public services staff are fully aware of any changes implemented or planned for implementation. We will put this on a future agenda for more details.

Congratulations to Melissa Just, who has been accepted into the ARL Leadership Fellows program. This is a very competitive process and the program spans two years of discussion, site visits, attendance at professional meetings, and a research report.

Agnew noted that Tibor Purger attended the recent EDUCAUSE CIO workshop, and that he could possibly do a debriefing. After Cabinet discussion, it was agreed that all participants in the variety of leadership programs that RUL supports should share what they learned with the Libraries. Fredenburg will coordinate the programs.

Branding Discussion – Fredenburg/Harry Glazer/Rose Barbalace

Fredenburg introduced our new RUL/SCI intern, Manuel Jusino. His first rotation is in access services working with Barbalace; he will be working in access services in a number of our buildings; each semester he will rotate through the various units; he has a particular interest in the sciences.

Glazer updated Cabinet on the initial Libraries branding process. He noted that there was a communications audit undertaken in 2004 to review the ways the Libraries communicate and how effective they are; an RFP was issued for a consultant, and the Libraries Communications Strategies were selected. In 2006, Glazer, John Brennan and others began a process of determining the strengths of the Libraries that are widely accepted. There were discussions with Cabinet, different councils and committees, faculty, and surveys were conducted. With the advice of a professor at SCI, the information was collected and we identified four key areas of strength; we then adopted a Libraries slogan. Every year we would re-assess the validity of our message. In 2010 we used Counting Opinions data to assess our message. The higher education focus was well regarded; the one still solid but to be concerned with was essential services; people were concerned about hours of operations and study rooms but we were already addressing that. When we established our current brand it was with a different cohort of undergrads who are all gone and a changed workforce. We need to find out if the brand still resonates. We have spent a lot of time and energy to create robust technical services; our brand doesn’t talk about technology. The suggestion was made that we should consider a larger reassessment of the brand. Barbalace agreed to chair the group to take this on. Rose noted that when we looked at this in 2008, we spoke to staff; she felt that we didn’t speak to students. We have a new workforce, new online degree students, and integrated the Health Sciences Libraries. We need to involve a broader group when we reassess. Once the marketing team gathers the new data, how do we market it? The Committee has developed a tentative guideline for action based on the literature and our experiences, and would like Cabinet’s feedback and endorsement. Just noted that the brand or library identity often appears in position descriptions; she will send examples to Cabinet for review. Boyle noted that she will provide assistance with gathering data and using Qualtrics; she noted that if there is a plan to publish, they will need to do an IRB. She noted that Nancy Kranich did a lot of community conversations; the summary information for those conversations might be helpful. Cabinet endorsed the recommendation that we need to do a branding exercise. The committee will be on the agenda more frequently so we can monitor progress and endorse actions as we go along. Cabinet also noted that the branding did not need to include a slogan, so we will cease using our current slogan as we start a new process. There will be a budget for the process.

Update on VALID/OLE – Gaunt/Agnew

Gaunt noted that we have agreed to pursue a consortia implementation of the open source integrated library system OLE in New Jersey; fifteen institutions agreed to participate; five are alpha implementers. The software is still under development, and we would not contemplate an implementation until 2015, based on our acceptance of the software’s robustness. VALE committees have been working behind the scenes on policies and practices, the business plan for how we will do it, what it will cost, etc.; decided to do an RFP for a consultant to assist in defining models for various aspects of the implementation and sustainability so VALE can develop the business plan. We had hoped to incorporate VALE, but the NJ Council of Presidents has asked us to pursue a relationship with NJEdge.net instead because they are already incorporated and overlap in institutional membership. The RFP is focused on such a joint relationship, which will develop further as we know more about the implications of implementation.

Grace Agnew provided a presentation on the Kuali Ole 0.8 release, which is the final draft release before the public release of usable software, version 1.0, which is expected in the 4th quarter of 2013. Grace highlighted the design principles behind Kuali OLE, what has been developed to date, and what is missing of the core services required for this mission critical software. Kuali OLE design principles include a service as software design approach that utilizes a service bus, a core service registry that applications can reuse, and a design and workflow implementation based on documents which instantiate services and activities within the system. Another key design principle is integration with the local enterprise systems, which is most evident in the select and acquire ("acquisitions") service module, which integrates the Kuali Financial System and integrates university accounting into areas such as funds account set up and management. Grace recommended downloading 0.8 and testing multiple scenarios to address issues, such as funds account set up, since RUL will not be integrated with the university's financial system as the OLE software designers intended. She will give this presentation to the VALID Steering Committee (VOSC), and will do it for other groups at RUL. Grace noted that the plans for the software do not include a consortial implementation, which VALE would have to develop itself or in collaboration with other interested libraries. There are many core functionalities still needed in the software before a final release.

Orientation for New Librarians/Staff – Gaunt Fredenburg

Due to timing, this agenda item has been tabled until the next meeting.

Announcements

Just: Jonathan Sauceda will start next Monday; planning to have a reception on Thursday afternoon.

Agnew: The Library of Congress Conservation Center is doing a 3-5 year plan; spent two days last week teaching them metadata; they can no longer implement open-source software; two-year process for vetting it. They are in the position of having to develop everything in-house now. They were impressed with what we have accomplished.

Boyle: Adriana Cuervo has started as the Associate Director of the Institute of Jazz Studies; there will be an interview for the archivist position on Monday and Tuesday, August 19 and 20.

Newark is starting two partnerships; one with the graduate school; proposing a variety of workshops that will be organized into tracks; students completing a track will be given a certificate; students will be surveyed and program directors interviewed as to program preferences. The other partnership is with the city of Newark “Platform to Employment” program. The five-week preparatory program began in Connecticut and is expanding to 5 cities across the United States. We are offering our space; the office of Community Engagement asked us to participate.



 
URL: http://www.libraries.rutgers.edu/rul/staff/groups/cabinet/minutes/cabinet_13-08-13.shtml
Website Feedback  |  Privacy Policy

© Copyright 1997-2013, Rutgers University Libraries   (Further Copyright Information)