STAFF RESOURCES

University Librarian's Cabinet: Minutes of the September 10, 2013 Meeting

Present:
Agnew, Boyle, Cohn, Fredenburg, Fultz, Gaunt, Golden (VC), Izbicki, Just, Kuchi, Mullen

University Librarian’s Report - Gaunt

Gaunt sent out a message to rul_everyone to save November 5, 2013 from 8:30-noon for State of the Libraries; finalizing the program now.

In preparation for the Cabinet retreat we are gathering information on all Libraries-wide committees, and note that not all are listed on our website. Some committees utilize a Sakai site for their documents and communication. This is fine, but the work of all university- wide committees need broad exposure, so there needs to be a place holder on the staff pages for committee name, charge, membership and minutes. Please review the committees listed on the website to ensure all are represented.

Cabinet members and unit business officers received a message from Abbey Baker that clarified university policy regarding mileage charges and reimbursement. The university policy states that reimbursement for mileage traveled for university business between the three campuses is for an amount over the normal mileage to and from work. Her email gave examples related to a number of different situations, but the simple message is that once you know what the total mileage is for your normal travel to and from work, you can only be reimbursed for any mileage for travel over that amount, as this is the only excess travel that an individual incurs in a normal workday.

Update on Collections Negotiations, New Models for Negotiation, and Data Developed for Assessment – Izbicki/Gracemary Smulewitz

Smulewitz, who is also on the NERL negotiating team for Science Direct, has been working on new models of negotiations. DTS has developed a data collection/assessment tool that identifies costs of titles in each database package, and the use per title. She has also gathered information on the size of each department and the ratio of graduate students to undergraduates, so we can estimate the cost of titles or databases by broad disciplinary areas based on use and numbers served. The more granular information we have, the more effectively we can negotiate with vendors. We have collected the data for the past three years, so we can show changes in costs and use over time. We are moving away from a cost formula based solely on FTE to one that considers the areas served and the enrollments.

Izbicki gave an overview of the progress on current negotiations for the expanded university. We are emphasizing that we are one university and that the Health Sciences area is not limited to the medical schools. Most vendors have been responsive. It has been a team effort as we work through the many licenses to renew; in some cases we have negotiated for additional titles for the same price we are currently paying.

Congratulations to the teams for gathering the data and negotiating effectively.

Assessing Practices and Progress on Diversity - Gaunt

A Cabinet discussion about diversity had been postponed until the full Cabinet could be present. Fredenburg began the discussion by pointing out that progress had been achieved in diversity recruiting as of late. A quick reading of the 2010 Diversity Task Force Report shows that most of the practices recommended in that document have been incorporated into our recruitment procedures. The question now is what should our next steps be? We know that we need a new diversity web page. We removed our webpage, except for information about the intern/residency program, because it was out of date. Our first next step should likely be to convene a task force to develop a diversity web page.

Gaunt and Fredenburg both noted that continued recruitment efforts are contingent on developing and utilizing an effective network. Gaunt suggested ARL officers may be helpful resources in this regard. At ARL the focus is to support more people in the pipeline by giving out scholarship money for professional development opportunities. Spectrum Scholars has been a good source for us. Cohn will check the MLA for networking opportunities. Golden mentioned promotion and tenure as possibly keeping some candidates from applying and suggested a better informational campaign in that regard.

At the interview it is critical to make the candidate feel welcome. Opportunities to include diverse librarians and staff in the process are important. After hiring we need to continue to make the new hire welcome. We need to look more into the area of diversity in collections and offer periodic presentations in this regard.

Services for diverse clientele are also critical, and Just suggested changing the name of the disabilities services committee to universal access.

Discussion also turned to the diversity committee and how it should be reconstituted. We need to review the charge, decide whether programming should be part of that charge as well as what the makeup of the committee should be. Cabinet decided that it would be appropriate to put out a call for volunteers from full-time, regular faculty and staff and to make selection of members from that group. The name of the committee should reflect the concepts of inclusion and accessibility rather than just diversity.

Preparation for the “First 100 Days” Meeting - Gaunt

We have been asked to review what we need to do in the first 100 days of the integration. For the most part, the critical things that needed to be accomplished were completed by July 1, 2013. For the next 100 days, the majority of activities are things we can determine are important for us to do; they are not necessarily critical to the functioning of the organization to be completed within this time frame. Gaunt shared a document that was prepared by the chairs of the subcommittees, and lists activities by function. While these are appropriate, there also needs to be a vision of where we are headed moving forward. There are general principles of an overview of the organization that will guide us.

For example, with collections we have agreed in principle that all of our electronic databases will be purchased for the entire system. According to Smulewitz, there are only about two outliers. Should our ability to afford a particular database for everyone be an exception to the general principle? Another major area is our web presence and how we want to represent ourselves. Remember that the goal of the Integration was to elevate the Life Sciences at the university. That means that they should have a prominent role. At the same time, we want to ensure that everyone has access to everything we offer. An appropriate web presence may be a single main page to the University Libraries that includes everything, but has a prominent position to point to the Health Sciences Libraries. The Health Science Libraries web presence is everything within RUL that is Health Sciences related; not just the legacy UMDNJ collections and services.

Agnew brought up the point that webscale in general is disappointing to portals. VuFind is coming along; we are going to be embracing schema.org where metadata in all our records can release the information to Google. Agnew is presenting the results of the three webscale discovery trials at Cabinet on September 24; if we need to step away from it, we also need to consider what we would do from there. Is there an interim before we move to OLE? We have to weigh the investment of time and money into webscale for the return to our users.

Cohn indicated we need to develop services and accessibility that taps into the way clinicians use information. We will break down barriers when we start talking about health sciences and engaging them with liaisons. When we talk about the Health Sciences we are not talking about two libraries. The concerns for day one at Smith and Robert Wood Johnson libraries were they wanted everything to look the same. What we did on day one was the best thing we could do on day one. What we are really talking about is now where do we go from here? We have the basics down; need to capitalize on we are one system. How do we want to behave organizationally? While the health sciences having people on a committee isn’t really integration, it may be a first step. Maybe we need another year of something more focused on health sciences, to look at how best we can integrate.

Gaunt will add specific items related to the Integration on Cabinet agendas as we move forward.

Rutgers Libraries and the 250th Anniversary of RU (2016) – Gaunt

Item tabled until the next Cabinet meeting.

Announcements

Golden: Noted that Newark School of Nursing is running a degree program at Camden County College; Robeson got a request for instruction. The students will go two years to community college, then take business classes or nursing classes in that same building. Need to discuss what services we can provide. President Barchi sent a message that Rutgers-Camden Chancellor Wendell Pritchett will return to the faculty at the conclusion of the 20113-14 academic year.

Kuchi: Kilmer Library is planning a global Livingston exhibit; went to various global programs on Livingston and got their brochures. We will also be featuring some of the liaisons who work with international communities; will ask Glazer to publicize.

Izbicki: Working on the Roman Coins project with funding from the Loeb Foundation, and working on an NEH grant proposal for creating the portal used in instruction.

Cohn: The Libraries are hosting the NISO web workshops on science; will have access to the archival file. Focus on data curation and training librarians to be able to work in the science arena with researchers.

Boyle: The exterior of the Dana Library has been improved.

Our exits counts will change. In the past, you could only exit from one side of the building; a number of people will be walking through. We are renovating the first floor reference area; 90 more new computers.

We hired three future scholars who will be working on special projects with Bonnie Fong, Krystal White and Ann Watkins.

Boyle will be a member of the Newark Campus Deans Council; the campus itself had more grant money than in the past; things are going well.

Fredenburg; Baker sent out an email about bundled registration for ALA; take advantage of it. ALA will be in Philadelphia this year; last time it was in Philadelphia, we encouraged staff to attend; we will get together on Saturday night with everyone attending from Rutgers.

Just: Will send out an email about changes in the Fordham Lab at DSS; have been expanding that space. The lab will be used to teach the music technology course; some computers moved outside in a newly created commons. Computers have the same software setup and configuration; can be booked in the campus selection for instructors teaching. Next semester we will be advertising the availability for anyone on campus who wants to teach classes – filmmaking, digitization, etc. The release of information will be internal only; once the interior looks better, we will have a ribbon-cutting reception.

We have hired two future scholars; they are looking for a match for two other positions.

Agnew: Agnew and Mary Beth Weber attended a Dublin Core Metadata Initiative conference in Lisbon, Portugal last week.



 
URL: http://www.libraries.rutgers.edu/rul/staff/groups/cabinet/minutes/cabinet_13-09-10.shtml
Website Feedback  |  Privacy Policy

© Copyright 1997-2013, Rutgers University Libraries   (Further Copyright Information)