STAFF RESOURCES

University Librarian's Cabinet: Minutes of the September 24, 2013 Meeting

Present:
Agnew, Boyle, Cohn, Fredenburg, Fultz, Gaunt, Golden (VC), Izbicki, Just, Kuchi, Mullen

University Librarian’s Report - Gaunt

President Barchi is holding another Strategic Planning Retreat tomorrow; will report on progress afterwards.

Boyle noted that the Newark campus is engaged in the strategic planning process for the campus. The Chancellor will meet with lead faculty in each school to discuss ideas for going forward; what is the Newark campus identity? Diversity is a major focus but not the only one; Newark is a graduate center; it has a larger proportion of graduate students than New Brunswick. The Newark librarians have been invited to his meeting.

The CIC library directors met by conference call last week; discussed destructive and non-destructive digitation in the Google project; right now they are focusing on non-destructive. We will know more by November about any digitization we may be asked to contribute. Mary Beth Weber is our liaison to HathiTrust and we will be getting information regarding the overlap of our collection with that in the HathiTrust. Also discussed digitization of government documents and whether we should take a focused approach, as well as special collection digitization. A small group is preparing a list of potential acquisitions for group purchasing. We should know by December 1 what has been determined.

Gaunt asked others on CIC committees to plan to report back at future Cabinet meetings; will start a Cabinet Sakai site for CIC issues and documents.

Webscale Recommendation – Agnew/Just/Deodato/Smulewitz

Deodato gave some background as to why we need webscale discovery. Users have a difficult time finding what they need; user expectations have been shaped by experience on web with Google and Amazon; we are forced to adapt to those expectations; our interfaces look unsophisticated and students don’t use them; they rely on information services that they know to be of inferior quality. To better serve the needs of those novice users, we need a tool capable of providing deep discovery of library materials. At the moment the best solution is webscale discovery. Webscale is a metadata search tool that provides a single point of access to a broad range of content; unlike federated search with Searchlight, relies on a central index. We want to stress at the outset that this is not a problem that can be solved by technological solution alone. This is a combination of technology, design, good instruction, and ongoing assessment.

A committee was formed in December by LRC and USC; there were reps across campuses and including UMD; worked out a fairly detailed evaluation process with vendor demonstrations, literature review, peer analysis, user needs assessment, evaluation rubric, RFP, trials, customer questionnaire, product testing, and staff survey. The key element was really our evaluation rubric; came up with 55 requirements which were classified in five broad contents. We found no product did it all; not one would meet everybody’s needs. Through the product evaluation process we have learned a lot; would like a vendor to commit to usability testing with us and making changes based on what users want or need. A vendor was selected based on the evaluation criteria presented by the committee; will determine an implementation timeframe that works best for everyone. Link resolver decisions will be made. Gaunt thanked Dedodato, Smulewitz, Agnew and Just for their presentation, as well as committee members Fengzhi Fan, Bonnie Fong, Theo Haynes, David Hoover, Megan Lotts, Jane Otto, Cathy Pecoraro, Elizabeth Sosnowska, Chris Sterback, Natalie Wadley, Bob Warwick, and Yingting Zhang.

Rutgers Libraries and the 250th Anniversary of RU (2016) - Gaunt

Gaunt sent Cabinet a report that summarized a discussion that she and Tom Frusciano had with Jorge Schement, chair of the University’s 250th committee, and Matt Weisenthal, Media Relations, who is helping to spearhead. Our discussion was focused on two areas – the workload for university archives in responding to requests for information and documents from the many departments engaged in planning their participation in the 250th anniversary, and the demands for the Libraries participation. What are the kinds of things we would be doing and how can we help? The university intends to be celebrating the anniversary over the entire calendar year 2016. The celebration activities will take place on all three campuses; showcasing every month a particular aspect of the university’s history; hope to get the Governor to attend; will need to prepare a budget.

The library participation may include digitizing yearbooks and the Daily Targum; will see if those materials can be made available on our website. The Libraries will look into undertaking an exhibition and seminar series on the “Founding Documents of Rutgers.” The Libraries will work with the 250th coordinating committee and others to develop ideas and concepts as part of the commemorative merchandise program. The Libraries will continue to provide support for the new illustrated Rutgers history book and the updated academic history book through Special Collections and University Archives. The Libraries will consider publishing “special editions” or special articles in its publications as part of Rutgers 250; will consider what we might do for the Journal of the Rutgers University Libraries issue. Frusciano and Gaunt will reach out to the Zimmerli to discuss the Art Museum’s plans for an exhibit. Frusciano will reach out to Jan Lewis with further information about a dissertation and other researchers that look at colonial Dutch history along with early development of Rutgers. Gaunt will let us know the outcome of discussions taking place at Mississippi State University on the development of a digital history of land grant institutions. Ron Becker attended a meeting at Mississippi State and will be on the outreach committee. Cabinet needs to think about other ways we can contribute. Do we have images that would be appropriate? Cabinet discussed the possibility of doing a history of the Rutgers University Libraries. They will be doing a timeline of inventions – great moments for each month. We could do a day in the life of the libraries; oral histories could be incorporated. For the memorabilia we will tap creative people. We will try to pull together a creative group of staff to give us additional ideas.

Announcements

Gaunt: Responsibility centered management budgeting process is moving forward; majority of CIC institutions are doing it; Gaunt will seek input from CIC partner institutions about its effectiveness.

Boyle: Another topic of the Newark campus was speculation that each department might have to pay per square foot for their space as part of RCM.

Boyle distributed copies of this year’s action plan year end. Some groups are getting ready to submit for this year; should set a deadline. We are not ready for a new plan; still going forward with the strategic plan and goals.

Izbicki: Publicity on the coins project is forthcoming. Rutgers Today has a video about IJS.

Golden: Construction on our second floor has begun; it is supposed to be completed the second or third week in January; will have to schedule a Cabinet meeting in Camden once everything is done.

Two pipes associated with sprinkler system burst; server rooms unaffected.

Cohn: The Smith Library is collaborating with the Newark writing center; kicking off next Monday; notifications were sent to faculty and students; we are housing them 14 hours a week during early evening hours; funded by RBHS deans.

Just: Will send a message out later this week that Judy Gardner is retiring at the end of the year.



 
URL: http://www.libraries.rutgers.edu/rul/staff/groups/cabinet/minutes/cabinet_13-09-24.shtml
Website Feedback  |  Privacy Policy

© Copyright 1997-2013, Rutgers University Libraries   (Further Copyright Information)