STAFF RESOURCES

University Librarian's Cabinet: Minutes of the October 29, 2013 Meeting

Present:
Agnew, Boyle, Cohn (VC), Fredenburg, Fultz, Gaunt, Golden (VC), Izbicki, Just, Kuchi, Mullen

University Librarian's Report Gaunt

We joined Kuali as an institution; this will be helpful for us as we plan for the state-wide academic library implementation of the OLE integrated system.

The University is going to be evaluating a new infrastructure for budget and HR; Rutgers primarily utilizes Oracle's e-Business Suite to support its financial and human resources functions while RBHS utilizes Ellucian's Banner product.

Agnew will be presenting on OLE software at State of the Libraries and at the VALE Users' Conference in January. The VALID state-wide implementation uses OLE.

October 30 is the last strategic planning retreat for the university. That's the point at which we will have a better picture of what the university's strategic plan will look like; hoping at this retreat that we will be given guidelines for developing the unit plans.

Cabinet should have received the email confirming that Libraries administration is keeping 100% of the salary savings for this year to ensure that we have the funds to cover the additional costs of the merger and the CIC; if we do receive the additional funds we will make the appropriate changes. We should be cautious with spending.

Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs for Rutgers-New Brunswick Felicia McGinty will be speaking at the open portion of the November faculty meeting about her vision for student services at the University; she was co-chair of the Transforming the Student Experience committee. She has been gathering student input on support issues. VP Kukor thought it would be interesting to host a stop and shop in the Libraries so departments can advertise what they have to offer. Cohn noted that with regard to alignment with students, they have a committee made up of faculty and students that address how the Libraries serve them; they go out to the student councils annually to get feedback. This is a way to funnel the issues of the health sciences schools into the Libraries planning.

Open Access Policy Implementation - Mullen/Otto

Mullen and Otto gave an update to Cabinet starting from the President's sign off on February 19, 2013. Edwards was assigned the work of developing an implementation plan, and asked VPs Breslauer and Gaunt to utilize an existing committee. The Rutgers University Libraries Advisory Committee accepted the charge, and assigned the work to a subcommittee names the OA Policy Implementation Working Group, adding grad students. Mullen and Otto were appointed as co-chairs. The Implementation Working Group first met May 20, 2013, and has had quarterly meetings from October 2; a separate meeting with grad students was held in September. The working group's three-pronged approach consists of enhancing the faculty deposit portal in RUcore and OA policy page; utilizing an advocate/model/contact from each academic unit/discipline to model it, communicate it, and provide feedback; and presentations as part of the educational component. They have made presentations to the School of Engineering, RBHS faculty in NB/Piscataway, Smith Library librarians, Robert Wood Johnson Librarians, QQML conference case study in Rome, a genetics retreat, and are aware of brief liaison presentations having been made to Pharmacy, Math, and Social Work). They have also been fielding questions from the community, and are providing materials to liaisons. They have had consultations with several open access experts over the past few months, and given updates to Gaunt, the Committee on Scholarly Communication, University Senate RGPEC, NBLF, NCBG and RUL faculty; as well as upon request. The RU policy is innovative with the inclusion of graduate students. It's the only one they know of; it is a unique research opportunity for this group. With Cabinet approval, they will deliver a final report to RULAC and will want to have faculty deposit enhancements in place as of December 2014. There will be a soft launch in spring of 2015 consisting of Phase 1 (encourage participation and begin tracing faculty participation) and Phase 2 (expect participation [work with deans]). September 1, 2015 will be the hard launch with a press release to the outside world. There will be periodic updates to Cabinet. Gaunt suggested that the committee prepare a detailed list of items needed in RUcore for the launch and that user testing be built into the timeline. In addition, deans on all campuses should see a draft so there will be agreement. It is anticipated that presentations to different groups will continue. There is a one page fact sheet with information for researchers and faculty. Cabinet endorsed the overall timeline and is looking forward to periodic updates and the draft report.

Update on ARL Membership Meeting - Gaunt/Just

Gaunt and Just attended the ARL Membership Meeting October 8-10; Melissa attended as a fellow; tried to divide our time going to different committee meetings. Not all materials were distributed to everyone at the meeting in electronic form.

Transforming Special Collections in the Digital Age Working Group: The agenda included guest Nancy Maron of Ithaka S+R, lead researcher for the IMLS-funded cooperative agreement with ARL to produce success case studies of digitized special collections at a variety of types and sizes of institutions. The working group also discussed next steps for the group's prior work on mainstreaming and mission alignment, as well as measuring and demonstrating the value of special collections.

Regional Federal Depository Libraries Working Group: The working group focused on new opportunities for the FDLP with a focus on identifying new measures to add flexibility to the management of collections and participation in the Program by regional depository libraries. In addition, there was a discussion about the GPO request for comment on elimination of microfiche as a distribution mechanism and best means of advising GPO on the perspective of regionals.

Advancing Scholarly Communication Steering Committee: Committee guests included Pamela Samuelson, Richard M. Sherman Distinguished Professor of Law, Berkeley Law School (via Skype) to talk about her work to advance the copyright perspectives of academic authors and Maryann Martone, Executive Director, Force 11, who provided information on the activities of this new movement. Tyler Walters, Virginia Tech, and co-chair of the SHARE Steering Group, updated the committee on the SHARE initiative. A discussion on licensing issues and updates on program activities rounded out the agenda.

E-Research Working Group: Working Group guests included Kathleen Shearer, Executive Director of Confederation of Open Access Repositories (COAR) to talk about the new Joint ARL-CARL-COAR-LIBER Task Force on Librarians' Competencies in Support of E-Research and Scholarly Communication; and Vivian Lewis, who spoke about her Mellon-funded research with Xuemao Wang and Jon Cawthorne on benchmarking skills and capacities to support digital scholarship. Rick Luce, co-chair of the SHARE Steering Group, updated the Working Group on progress on the SHARE initiative, and the remaining discussion time was devoted to next steps in refining the e-research agenda.

The ARL Fall Forum - Mobilizing the Research Enterprise-- looked at what we are doing related to OA policies, preserving data and publications. While SHAFE was not on the agenda, it came up in many presentations. There were several people who presented their workflows for managing data, so we could see how things were the same and different on different campuses. Examining our collective capacity - institutions should focus on savings in areas that don't differentiate us. It is similar to what is being used for the VALID logo - share the common to enable the unique. Paths to scale are the defining roles of the century. Have to scale up to a high level to be of value. Need to do more with less. Infrastructure does not differentiate us. Core centers of gravity are DPN, Internet 2, Kuali, and OLE. Data preservation is what the academy needs to do because Amazon and Google will not. They stressed difference between cooperation and collaboration. You wind up depending on everybody else so you can't easily pull out. Used DPN as a model; ask yourself the question - if another CIC institution failed, would that impact you? Critical next steps for various stakeholders to ensure they meet their federal purposes. Talking about data sets at the repository level; need data in repositories. Need discovery tools, need authentication, schema vocabularies, integration; include analytics workflow management, digital identifiers, etc.

Selecting Peer and Aspirant Institutions - Boyle

Boyle noted that each campus will probably have its own list of aspirants and peers; for library system-wide comparisons we need a unified, university-wide list. She suggested that we have a shared, systemwide list, but that for certain specific purposes we might use libraries known to be expert in an area. She reviewed the methodology used in the past, which is posted on our staff pages. Cabinet decided to use as our base list those libraries whose parent institutions are the public members of both the AAU and CIC. ARL data will be used to create a ranked list. The data elements we will use are: expenditures minus salaries, number of people, and expenditures per person.

Announcements

Fredenburg: State of the Libraries will be held next week; thanks to UMDNJ for all their presentations.

Just: Victor Zverevich is a visiting Fulbright Scholar who will be with us for the next six months. Victor comes to us from the Moscow City Library Center, which is the unit of the Moscow city government dealing with public libraries, where he is Head, Department for Research & Development; will send out introductory message tomorrow. Please stop and say hello.

Agnew: starting the process of integrating webscale; goal for January is to have it fairly unnoticeable; not to have a drastic change; talked about usability studies with EBSCO. Big change will be next fall; we will have better search results but users won't see a lot of difference.

Boyle: The IJS is now a literary landmark, joining the Kilmer Oak, the Paterson Public Library and others; a reception and musical performance was held on October 23 at the Dana Library, at which time the award was presented to Boyle.
Boyle attended the new faculty orientation; there are about 15 new faculty on campus.
Boyle was reappointed to the executive committee on assessment.
On October 13, there was a panel discussion at Dana speaking about Islam medicine and science.
The law library has a luncheon every year; Dana librarians attended, mixed with faculty, and said hello to the interim dean.
Boyle attended an Academic Leadership Program on assessment as Gaunt's representative, at which Pilch presented about copyright matters.

Gaunt received an email from ARL on the Library Directors Survey that Ithaka S+R has developed; they have a local version you can use for your campus. Under Boyle's guidance, Agnew and Izbicki volunteered to review the survey for potential use at Rutgers and report back.



 
URL: http://www.libraries.rutgers.edu/rul/staff/groups/cabinet/minutes/cabinet_13-10-29.shtml
Website Feedback  |  Privacy Policy

© Copyright 1997-2013, Rutgers University Libraries   (Further Copyright Information)