STAFF RESOURCES

University Librarian's Cabinet: Minutes of the October 14, 2014 Meeting

Present:
Agnew, Askew (VC), Baker (Guest), Boyle, Cohn, Fredenburg, Fultz, Gaunt, Glynn, Golden (VC), Izbicki, Just, Kuchi, Marker (Guest)

University Librarian’s Report - Gaunt

Executive VP Edwards reported at a recent Deans Council meeting that Rutgers is being seen as a leader in best practices in violence against women, and that RU Career Services is being recognized nationally as one of the best.

Within the CIC, we are the leader on diversity; most of the CIC institutions are located in the most un-diverse area of the country; they are looking to Rutgers for leadership. Jorge Schement’s office will ask that all units have diversity committees. The Libraries are one of the few units with an established committee.

The affordability of higher education is an issue being discussed among leaders in higher education, especially the CIC.

President Barchi had been meeting with alumni groups about the strategic plan; now he will be bringing faculty members with him to talk with alums and others about teaching and research on topics relevant to the strategic plan. The first meeting of this type was about autism. Forthcoming meetings will focus on climate change, global warming, coastal effects, etc.

A mini-system approach is the direction of RU reorganization. Chancellors will run independent universities. The use of the word “campus” when referring to the four major parts of the university has been eliminated. We are RU-Newark, RU-Camden, RU-New Brunswick, and RBHS. The EVPAA position will be separate from the Chancellor for New Brunswick; Edwards has been named to the Chancellor position. A position description is being developed for the EVPAA; it is unclear if there will be an external search or an internal appointment. Mary Lou Ortiz has been recruited as the Vice Chancellor for Finance-New Brunswick.

RU is taking down 12 buildings all told. There will be 900 buildings when this is finished. RU is "over-spaced." It will all happen in two years; we need to get out of old inefficient space and into new efficient space.

Courtney McAnuff, who oversees Association for College Admissions Counseling, has reported that 1,500 international high school guidance counselors from 90 countries will come to RU in 2016. It will involve the whole RU community.

Nevin Kessler reported that we are finishing the $1 billion campaign; no gala closing ceremony. Plan will include emphasis on private giving. A thank you dinner for a small group of campaign leaders at the President's home will be organized. Press release will be sent out. Focus will be on customized reports to our large donors.

Mike Gower reported that RCM budgeting is being modeled this fall; Gower can come to faculty meetings on invitation.

Chris Malloy is focused on helping units realize income; there is a commitment to reach out to corporations from cradle to grave for projects. Research dollars per FTE faculty member is low; we need to do better; will be tracking how many grants are submitted by unit and faculty members.

A technology park within the NB campus is a possibility. There are draft plans for all of the campuses, including New Brunswick. Master plan will be wrapped up by the end of the academic year. Some unit moves are already planned or taking place. Administrative Services will be housed in an office building just off Busch campus.

The Haynes building on Broad Street in Newark is under re-development; a drug store and residences will be part of the building. There will be an arts complex with partnerships in the Newark community and the university. It is a $25M project; outlay from the University is $17M. The Board of Governors will vote on it tomorrow.

Budget Update – Gaunt/Fredenburg/Baker

Gaunt and Baker met with Winterbauer and Gower on Friday to discuss our budget situation. Baker reviewed what happened at the meeting and where we go from there. She distributed a handout of the Libraries FY14 State Budget, and summarized the issues. We are dealing with a $3M problem in totality, the majority of which is permanent ongoing expenses. What we are trying to do is move our operating expenses on to the state budget. We have been supporting some basic expenses on soft funds that are no longer available. If we permanently address the $3M shortfall now, then next year we will be faced with addressing annual inflation, salary increases, and other new business expenses. Winterbauer and Gower understand our basic situation, but they have already allocated funds to the units and will not take them back; there are no permanent funds in this financially difficult year for the university to draw on and allocate. We discussed the use of all funds in our budgeting, what we have – gift funds, true endowments, and quasi-endowments. Almost down to the number, each of those gift, endowment and quasi-endowment funds are restricted to a particular use by the donor, and we have been using them for those purposes. We addressed specifically the quasi-endowments because one may use both the principal as well as the interest; only one of the 23 has an unrestricted purpose. We specifically chose not to invade the principal on an unrestricted quasi-endowment because the fund makes money, and once the principal is gone, there is no endowment and we then have jeopardized our future. We may not invade the principal on true endowments. We can only use the interest, and you need a very large endowment to generate significant interest. We have an academic excellence fund and a reserve fund that we have been accumulating over the years, and one gift fund for technology. As they are gift funds and not accruing interest, they are gone once spent.

Since our shortfall is based on ongoing expenditures, we must reduce our state budget spending in order to live within budget. What we do want to talk about is the unrestricted funds we do have, and how much, if anything, we might want to spend to ease this year’s budget situation. We must keep in mind that this would only be a one-year fix if our budget is not increased next year to cover our ongoing shortfall. We cannot use all the soft funds we have because we need a cushion should there be emergencies or cost overruns on current purchases. The most we could free up would be about $1M. In addition to our known costs, we do have special needs to replace the environmental control system in special collections, and several pressing computing needs. We still want to make some of the decisions related to Physics and SERC, and other reductions that we have identified. After considering options, Cabinet agreed that $800K would be applied to one-time money. We agreed that $150K will go to collections out of soft money to apply as appropriate. The decision as to where to apply the funds is up to Izbicki, and it should not be allocated by percentage to the subject areas but based on the university’s strategic areas, and the specifics of each area’s needs. This is only a one-time fix. If we do not get an increased budget next year, we will have to cancel in the amount of $150K.The remainder of $650K will be shared among the units based on all the funds they have available to them (gifts, endowments, etc.), and the severity of the cuts on overall operations and Libraries goals. Baker will talk with each unit and we will determine how to make the allocations. For the purposes of this exercise, whatever your permanent budget is for this year after the reductions are made, you have to assume it will stay the same for FY16. The one-time money is truly one time.

RCM will move us to a model where our budget is not dependent on the state; it will be dependent on the schools; the state subsidy is being given to the chancellors for their strategic initiatives; the cost matrix for the libraries will be head count related to RCM.

RUcore Metadata Policy – Agnew/Rhonda Marker

Agnew explained that the RUcore Metadata Policy arose from a publisher in China who wanted to publish our metadata, and the eagerness of the State Library to do another IMLS grant to greatly increase the number of resources in NJDH. With those two competing agendas we realized we should have a metadata policy. Rhonda discussed this with Pilch, who advised that the metadata working group should take the lead. She noted that we want to keep our metadata as open and available as possible, and our metadata is not public domain, and subject to copyright. Want to put the policy on our page with a paragraph that states that we want it to be freely available for use through the Creative Commons Attribution-Non Commercial 4.0 International Public License. Marker distributed a copy of the DRAFT Policy statement to Cabinet, and gave examples and the explanation of how the policy was arrived. Gaunt thanked Marker and Cabinet agreed that they endorse the policy.

ARL Debrief – Gaunt/Just

Gaunt and Just spent last week at ARL-related events; the regular ARL meeting was framed by the strategic planning process for ARL and how the organization will be shaped; it will be organized in functional ways.

Just attended the Statistics and Assessment and Public Policy meetings; the future arrangement of those committees was discussed. In statistics and assessment, the surveys on source of funds and student fees survey were discussed; now these two surveys, plus a budget survey are being combined into one survey that will be distributed to the members; it is a way to track trends of people’s budgets; there was a lot of feedback on reporting in numbers or percentages. There has been an ongoing desire to participate in the impact stories types of data collection – especially related to special collections. Tell us how your collections impact learning or impact on your community users; eventually impact stories will be published on the web.

There was a lot of discussion at the Public Policy meeting about the TEACH Act, which is making its way through legislation; although the intentions are good, ARL is not supportive of it as written; legislation says the universities have a legal and moral obligation to provide high quality education regardless of disability, but uses language we can address. The TEACH Act uses a standard we can’t possibly meet (alternate means must be made available and they must be equally effective, equally integrated, and offer equivalent ease of use); and how do you measure effectiveness. The American Council on Education, EDUCAUSE, and 19 others have serious concerns about the TEACH Act.

Gaunt attend the Diversity and Leadership meeting; they will be conducting assessments to measure the effectiveness of the various programs, to determine if some might be combined, and how they would fit in the new organizational structure. They mentioned that the mentorship part of the programs is always the weakest piece, as there is a disparity in both sides understanding what the relationship is about.

The Transforming Research Libraries meeting was very similar to some of the discussions about special collections; there will be a workshop on special collections leadership and some focus on how special collections contribute to the institutions’ mission and goals. Working to define what it means to be a digital archivist; talked about how difficult it is to do collaborative digital collection projects. They talked about CLIR grants that focused initially on support for processing collections; now the focus will be on collaborative digitizing of collections; will look at multi-institution submissions; discussed the difficulty of digitizing collections that are still under copyright. The Modern Language Association issued a statement about libraries deaccessioning materials and intimated that librarians were doing this without consulting faculty. There was some discussion about responding to the statement, but several noted that this was their perspective whether it was accurate or not. Others noted that we should not use the term “storage” when talking about offsite repositories; call it a print archive. Talked about how sensitive the terminology is. There will be a panel at the MLA in January on the topic of deaccessioning.

Transforming Research Libraries Committee also discussed liaisons and the role of the position, as well as new metrics for assessing what liaisons do. Data management librarians are not the single solution to data management. Data management requires a team approach with librarians contributing but now “owning” that area. At the recent EDUCAUSE meeting, people noticed that some CIOs are changing their name to CDO - chief digital officer.

There was discussion about disability and disability access; people with disabilities represent 18% of the population; the largest minority population in the country. Sign language is the third largest language after English and Spanish. Disability Services are not individual accommodations but a comprehensive approach; there is a Disabilities tool kit – an 89-page report on how institutions can use materials developed elsewhere in creating their own disabilities plan.

Just reported that the program around innovation was a good presentation; what does it take to build a culture of innovation; encourage people to take risks, how do you recognize success and support failure? A librarian from the University of Rochester talked about the change they have undergone and they rewrote their vision for the libraries; will become a collaborative hub of innovation to support teaching and research. The University is trying to reshape the city of Rochester; trying to raise money to build an iZone, which is a place where innovation happens. Most importantly, they brought in rich technologies to help students and faculty work in a supportive environment. The iZone is not up and running, but the pieces laid in the path of creating it are very interesting.

There was a report on the SHARE initiative; the notification system is progressing well; they put out an RFP to design the software; the Center for Open Science won the award. SHARE now has its own executive director and logo.

CRL sponsored a session on government data and electronic records management. Each agency has become so much more complicated over the years with many sub-units, all required to keep their data. There is no overall strategy on how to do this, and there is a vast amount of information. The recommendations is to save everything; it is impossible considering the total amount of data produced that you can screen everything and decide what to keep upfront. You can delete after the fact. An advocacy pitch is needed to ensure that all agencies save their data. Just noted that it was interesting that a gentleman wrote in and accused the government of deleting photos or other information about the war so he couldn’t get his VA benefits because he couldn’t prove he was one of the group.

Announcements

Askew: Reported that in RU Newark they are in the production phase of the Strategic Plan; there are four study groups; Askew has been asked to co-chair the anchor institution group; will be charged with looking at ideas and best practices on how RU Newark can be an anchor institution in the city. Askew will be meeting with the Chancellor and Provost to get clarification on their vision for IJS.

Boyle: Annual action plans are due tomorrow. Boyle will attend the Grounds for Sculpture 350th Anniversary Event, a major exhibition organized by the New Jersey Center for the Book on Saturday; Joyce Carol Oates is getting an award; Agnew, Linda Langschied and Isaiah Beard will display the State of Invention posters, and Vincent Pelote, Ed Berger, and Bob Nahory will be representing the IJS.

Agnew: The IMLS changed grant submission procedures; we submitted a two-page proposal with the State Library on building out the NJ collections; the innovation component is to work with the citizen historian. Langschied would be co-PI.

Kuchi: The Myanmar librarians are touring buildings and having meetings and sessions with our librarians; they are excited about being here. Will be visiting Cohn and the Health Sciences at the end of this week.

PlanCo will discuss the core competencies report, updating the recruiting policy for academic librarians, and the open access implementation draft at their meeting on October 29; the Libraries Faculty meeting is scheduled for October 31.

There will be a pumpkin decorating at the Kilmer Library on October 15 and 21 for the students; pumpkins will be supplied, as well as candy, coffee and tea.

Cohn: Spent three days in Washington, DC at the AAHSL capstone event for the Leadership Fellows Program. The capstone is the culmination of the yearlong fellowship. The fellows/mentors cohort meet with representatives from the various national libraries and associations focused on the medical and health sciences, e.g., AAMC, AMIA, AACN, AACP, etc. Kerry O'Rourke will serve as mentor for the new class. Her fellow is Kelly Thormodson, Associate Director, at the University of North Dakota Health Sciences Library.

Reported that Chancellor Strom held two roll-out meetings for the RBHS strategic plan, which is now on the web; Cohn will send the URL; the four signature areas are cancer, neuroscience, environmental and occupational health, and infection and inflammation; the definitions of what those encompass are in the plan; there were lots of discussions about consolidations with regard to vacancies and department chairs. Gaunt noted that at a future Cabinet meeting we will discuss strategic plans in different areas and how the Libraries may be linked.

Izbicki: Reported that a 2007 policy on how we take and retain journals will be brought to LRC and Cabinet; need to revisit the policy on moldy items; we have found more mold in two libraries.

Just: We will partner with the Edison Papers, to help with processing storage of the papers they get from the National Parks Services.

For the second time, someone has come in on the weekend and removed the PKT keys from a number of our public computer keyboards. We are trying to find out if any student organizations with matching initials know anything about their disappearance.

Fredenburg: State of the Libraries will be held on the morning of November 5 at the Busch Campus Center; presentations will be very engaging, and all are encouraged to attend.

Kuchi and Fredenburg attended the first meeting of the Committee to Advance our Common Purposes (CACP). Jorge Schement reported on being in the CIC and what it meant academically; he talked the libraries and resources among the advantages.



 
URL: http://www.libraries.rutgers.edu/rul/staff/groups/cabinet/minutes/cabinet_14-10-14.shtml
Website Feedback  |  Privacy Policy

© Copyright 1997-2017, Rutgers University Libraries