STAFF RESOURCES

University Librarian's Cabinet: Minutes of the January 13, 2015 Meeting

Present:
Agnew, Askew, Boyle, Cohn, Fredenburg, Fultz, Glynn, Just, Kuchi
Absent:
Golden

University Librarian’s Report – Boyle

Boyle has been added to all the relevant lists – Deans Council, Administrative Council, Senate, ARL directors, etc.; will replace Gaunt on the Senate Budget & Finance subcommittee.

Boyle met with Rich Novak; applications are being received for the UL position; while at ALA, keep your antennae up for prospects; will be happy to solicit.

There is no Deans Council meeting in January; will return a day early from ALA to attend the February Deans Council meeting; concentrating on personnel and budget matters right now.

We are adding the Mold Policy and the Facilities master plan to today's agenda.

There was a memo from Edwards to the chancellors and Boyle about the new NTT procedures; they are posted at academiclaborrelations.rutgers.edu. There is a specific link for Libraries there. It is also linked from the Libraries faculty pages.

Boyle gave credit to the attendees and presenters at the VALE Users’ Conference; everyone did a really good job. There was a nicely done resolution for Marianne.

Agnew, Tehrani, Gaunt and Boyle met with George Kiraz from Beth Mardutho to discuss the March symposium; also discussed partnering on a CLIR hidden collections grant; potential partners are very strong; appropriate to be involved.

The 2015 Celebration of Recently Published Faculty Authors is scheduled for March 25.

Boyle is continuing with monthly regular meetings.

Budget Update – Boyle/Fredenburg/DiPaolo

Gaunt, Fredenburg, DiPaolo and Boyle attended a budget meeting before the break. It was a fairly large group of central budget administrators and CFOs from the four universities; the purpose of the meeting was to start looking at the 2016 budget, but it was also an update on the current situation. We received a request to model our budgets for 2016 as well as cuts. We were told that the there is an understanding that the Libraries really need a new look; we need to partner with this group and look very hard at our current budget and how we use it; base level services; building from the ground up; zero based. We are to submit a plan by the end of this month. They want profile information for every location. There are two facets – a permanent list of cuts and the one-time money to offset the cuts. We presented a broad overview of our 2015 cuts. We need to change how we collect our data and we need to reverse the practice of heavy reliance on salary savings from vacancies. This meeting was a first pass at the first round of RCM. Each campus has a very different approach. The Libraries need to continue to be treated as a comprehensive system. Among other information we were able to convey, they were very surprised to learn that we didn’t get all the CIC resources for free. We need to disabuse every one of the mistaken notion that we can use all of the materials and databases of any CIC library for free. All were asked to think about their areas, how dollars have been functioning, and what has been lost by giving up a vacancy. If a position has been used to fund other things, that should be explained. When one time money was received, where was it used. The unit’s story of what happened should be summarized in 3 to 4 sentences. We have a short amount of time to do it. AULs and directors should think about how they would want to present the impact that the current situation has on their operations. Any questions, please call DiPaolo. FY2016 is our rebuilding year; we have to present a picture that will get us back to the base level that we were. We have an audience; it’s a chancellor’s priority. The only things we note as location specific are staff, facilities, etc. Collections, etc. are central university wide expenses.

Improve Support for Rutgers International Programs – Askew

Askew noted that this agenda item stemmed from a conversation with Au, who is on sabbatical; he brought to her attention that the business school has an executive MBA program in Singapore, and they have limited access to resources. Do the Libraries support these international programs; are they included in our licenses? If they have net IDs, they are covered.

Just indicated that the NBLF group has an international and global engagement team. The group participates with study abroad and international students who have come to the campus; it is building relations with the GAIA center for identifying opportunities that are more formal. The other piece of information is that we have relied on liaison relationships to navigate with departments that have international programs. There are also programs where students come over to prepare for study in the US, and they pay Rutgers to participate in local programs; we are starting to engage more with those groups. We could have a website we could point international programs to. Study abroad has access through the LibGuides. Maybe USC could coordinate; Cabinet referred it to and Just will coordinate with USC.

Revised Journal Retention & Acquisition Policy - Izbicki

Izbicki presented the revised policy to Cabinet; this version of the journal retention policy has input from Cabinet and LRC; it also points to some existing policies that weren’t outlined in previous drafts. Effort is underway to make a more coherent picture in existing and future practices; this is a first step toward the larger picture to decide what we need to retain. The larger picture for journals has been more digital; the original policy said nothing about acquisitions. Cabinet approved the policy, and it will go up on the CDC section of the staff resources.

Izbicki also circulated the most recent mold policy from LRC. This was not designed for the big headaches; it is designed for “this showed up moldy because it was dropped in the sink.” What is the best measure for a small number of items or an individual item? It may be cheaper to replace than remediate. Cabinet approved the policy.

Facilities Master Plan – Fredenburg/Just

Gaunt had asked Just and Fredenburg to begin a space planning project; facilities at the time was beginning a massive master plan and totally on their own opted to include the Libraries. We were glad to jump right in; we have been talking to facilities as this plan has moved forward; They have told us that to develop a systemwide plan that results in a comprehensive, staged plan it could cost as much as $250K. Just suggested we revisit our plan to pay with central funds because any plan is on our dime. When we met with facilities the first time, we said $100K for a master plan seems reasonable without knowing much about the process; through dialogue with facilities folks the scope of the project got a little bigger. The RFP currently includes all of our space, public and non-public; we are looking at reusing space in different ways; a group would come in and look at all the current data; do stakeholder interviews; look at the university strategic plan; the Libraries strategic plan; focus groups; internal and external interviews. The current RFP asks the planners to produce all of our floor plans and project out 10 years, i.e., if you could implement all the important things identified in the plan, where would they go and in what order? One option to limit costs: facilities said we could tell them our cap, they would go to architectural firms and ask them to tell us what they could do for that price. Or we could supplement the funds RUL central has designated with unit gift funds. Or there are others options yet to be identified. Agnew suggested it could be a real draw for a new UL, and should be added to the job description; promoted in conversations with the candidate and look for someone who has a real vision and make it a condition of hire. Given all the questions, we will consider this at a future Cabinet meeting. Just will post the draft RFP on Sakai; we need to determine what approach Boyle wants to take with this holistically. In terms of budget woes, we have serious fundraising needs that have to be part of the conversation.

Announcements

Agnew: It has been a very exciting couple of months; gave a presentation on VALID at the OLE conference. Moving forward with VALID; full use of the library system as a universal borrowing tool.

Thanks to yeoman’s work by Yu-Hung Lin, we are ready to start testing archiving our dark archive; we will be using RUcore; will start testing in a week or two; accept new open journals in July.

DTS is completely moved out of Alexander Library into TAS; will have a pizza party next week to celebrate.

Just: As some of you know, we have been collaborating with the Office of Disability Services (ODS) and are planning to create an Assistive Technologies Lab in Alex. This space will be located in the Alex reference room, in the space currently known as the Electronic Resource Room. Over the next few months, the space will be transformed to provide a variety of assistive technologies (CCTV, Kurzweil, JAWS screen reader) and will house the ODS course materials digitization service. As part of our collaboration with ODS, their office is providing an Assistive Technologist to oversee the space and related activities.

Shahida Khalid, from ODS, moved into the office located inside the electronic resource room (room 131) today. You may see her passing through the reference room, working in the electronic resource room, in the downstairs staff room, or dropping off mail in the Alex admin suite. Please feel free to say hi and introduce yourself. Shahida can be reached at shahidak@rci.rutgers.edu or x54431.

Just updated the meeting room policy for New Brunswick to reflect the change in the 10:00 p.m. policy. On occasion, we have an event that goes past 10 p.m.; anyone without a Rutgers ID must exit at the end of their event.

Askew: The 24/7 hours went well; there were no major incidences; it went so smoothly that they want to do it again, but any given day hit 8% of total population; will do it again in the spring, possibly during reading days. After that we will go back to regular extended hours.

The chancellor has sent out an announcement about the seed grant initiative program; allocated $2M to facilitate innovative ideas for programs and/or spaces. The provost has asked that we move forward as a seed grant.

Attended a brainstorming session for the executive director search for IJS to get ideas from the folks living it day to day; what would be good characteristics and recommendations. There are at least 7-10 names that came out of that discussion. The chancellor was adamant about it being Newark based; the folks in the field were saying that it surpasses local, it is global. This person should be aware of the impact on a global level.

Fredenburg: In February there will be an implementation of a 2% across the board salary increase for all eligible non-aligned and Teamsters represented employees. The increase to base salary is retroactive to July 1, 2014.

Manuel Jusino, RUL/SC&I Intern Resident, is doing his rotation in the health sciences libraries this semester; he will participate in an embedded clinical librarian program at the RWJ Library (NB) and working on projects for the Information and Education and History of Medicine Departments at the Smith Library (Newark). The Writing Center, which the Smith Library hosts, was recently funded by the RBHS deans for the Spring semester.

Izbicki: Special Collections is moving forward with bringing in someone to process the Lautenberg papers; it is an incredible challenge.



 
URL: http://www.libraries.rutgers.edu/rul/staff/groups/cabinet/minutes/cabinet_15-01-13.shtml
Website Feedback  |  Privacy Policy

© Copyright 1997-2017, Rutgers University Libraries