Minutes of Thursday, November 15, 2001 Meeting
- Becker, Boyle, Calderhead (Recorder), Dess, Glynn, Montanaro, Page, Sewell,
Soong, Womack, Wu
- Nancy Hendrikson, Addie Tallau
Handouts: Collection Development Goals for 2001/02, Work Group on IRIS Records for Electronic
Monographs – Draft Charge. Database Use 2000-2001 by Subject, Electronic Journal Survey, Database Use
2001/02, netLibrary Access Exceeding Four Uses, Licenses and Number of Times Exceeded 2000-2001,
Proquest Historical Newspapers Price Sheet, Info sheet on Columbia Gazetteer of the World Online
1. AUL Report:
- A contingency fund will be created this year to allow items to be received and processed by Acquisitions when there are small over-encumbrances on selectors' funds. Details to be announced.
- Nancy Hendrickson explained that we need to set up central funds for all shipping and service charges because of the new RU financial interface prevents a shipping and service charges being charged against individual order. The new funds for shipping and service charges will go into effect in FY 2003.
- Wiley periodical funds have not been transferred from unit funds to the central fund yet waiting on final cancellation lists from all units. [Has happened since this time.]
- Library of Congress accepted New Jersey's application for the NJ Center for the Book.. The Center encourages interest in book arts and the history of the book in New Jersey. The Center is officially (virtually) located in SCILS.
CDC 2001/02 Goals:
- Electronic Resources Evaluation and Review - The networked electronic resource teams have been asked to evaluate/assess the databases within their categories. Evaluation should be done to identify lacunae, redundancy, best resources in the field, more appropriate produces available. Teams should also review any CD-ROMs still in use that can be networked. Criteria for consideration/evaluation will be discussed at an upcoming meeting of team leaders as set by RGS.
- Review and Improve Liaison Relationships- Selectors will be asked to review their liaison relationships, identify "best practices," ways of improving communication between selectors and the departments. A task force to be charged and appointed by RGS.
- Expand and Improve Research Guides. There are certain disciplines still without proper research guides. Representatives of WAC will address the issues with research guides at a future CDC meeting.
- Collection Development Policy Statements. - Need to establish a new, streamlined format for CD Policy Statements. Need to look at what other peer institutions are doing.
- Assessment Studies. The users' needs to be formally analyzed. Two surveys have already been created, submitted and analyzed by the Assessment Committee, with a third in the pipeline (e-journal survey).
- Serial Core Lists. Need to establish core lists of serials in various disciplines.
- A Working Group on IRIS Records for the Electronic Monograph is being formed to establish cataloguing standards. The charge to be issued jointly by 3 AULs (RGS, JB, SS). Each unit/council should recommend members to serve. CDC volunteered VC.
2. E-Journal Survey:
Addie Tallau distributed and discussed Assessment Committee's E-Journal Survey.
3. Acquisition's Report:
- MP announced that ordering is on schedule, that being about two weeks lag between selector submission and acquisition's order placement.
- The receipts are slower than usual, this is caused in large part by general U.S. Post slow down since 9/11.
- MP also reported on the Charleston Conference, especially the efforts being made by some schools to have dissertations submitted digitally. Results have been positive.
- Acquisitions has started using Amazon.com for some current imprint purchases.
4. Systems' Report:
- AM summarized Systems' luncheon meeting on networked resource problems and procedures.
- ELF proposals are being analyzed.
- Timeline for LUNA digital imaging software is Spring Semester (demo only). AM is Project Manager on LUNA project. Initial project will take maps and art slides from collection and render them into LUNA's Oracle software.
5. Networked Electronic Resources:
- Historical Newspapers (NYTimes) to be purchased . Microfilm must be maintained on all three campuses because e-coverage will not include recent years.
- Science Team to submit proposals within the week.
- Generalist Team – no proposals.
- Social Science: proposal for Columbia Gazetteer of the World Online approved.