Minutes of July 19, 2012 Meeting
- Eric Fizur, Kristen Ko, Shirley Lewis, Barry Lipinski (coordinator, recorder), Teresa Macklin, Mike Mansouri, Dean Meister, Nita Mukherjee, Ramon Negron, Brian Stubbs, Joyce Watson
- Zohreh Bonianian, Eugene McElroy
- Annual Report 2012 Review
- Access Services Committee Updates
- Incident Reports
- Information Sharing
1) Annual Report 2012 Review
The group reviewed its annual report. Highlights included:
- A Circulation and Public Services Group web page was completed and posted in January 2012 under Staff Resources / Access Services on the RUL website.
- 89 Incident Reports were filed, a 21% decrease from the 113 reports filed in 2011-2012. Twenty-three of these reports described emergency maintenance problems concerning water flooding or leaking. Twenty-one thefts were reported.
- The popularity of E-ZBorrow with our users has caused recalls to decrease by 59% since 2003.
2) Access Services Committee Updates
- ASC concurred with the recommendation of Central Technical Services that book barcodes now be placed on the front, left-hand side of new books (or as barcodes are replaced).
- 8,855 alumni records were loaded.
- 273 Paul Robeson Scholars user records were manually modified.
- A proposal to raise reserve fines was discussed. Though staff members are not seeing much abuse of reserve loan policies, there is concern that students who take a reserve book out of the building without permission and deny their classmates its use should understand the seriousness of the transgression and encounter more than a $25 fine.
- As of August 2012, the Booking Request form now links directly to the catalog.
3) Incident Reports
- Recurrent graffiti "9/11 was a hoax" again found in men's restroom, B level, new wing. (Wed, 7/25/12)
- Leaking radiator pipe in 1st floor reference area causes water to drip onto conduits and ductwork above Special Collections, Alexander B-022. Facilities workers respond and avert risks of flooding. (Wed, 7/25/12)
- Undercover RUPD officer discusses ongoing graffiti problem with Access Services supervisor. (Thurs, 7/26/12)
- Alarm goes off on emergency exit doors near Shipping and Receiving; who activated the alarm is unknown. (Sat, 7/28/12)
- Water leaking behind and under vending machine in café. (Sun, 8/12/12)
- Staff member hits her head on a stall door handle after the door was left ajar; taken to hospital for treatment. (Tues, 8/14/12)
- Water leaking from the 3rd floor stacks area underneath the mechanical room damages approximately 40 books. (Tues, 8/28/12 - Thurs, 8/30/12)
- Laptop stolen from back pack of student in UGrad Reading room who left it unattended to go to the restroom. (Thurs, 9/27/12)
- Banned individual spotted in reference room; RUPD, who had been looking for him, are informed and remove him from the library. (Tues, 10/9/12)
- Doors to Foran Hall are found locked; RUPD opens them via remote so that the library can open. (Sun, 9/9/12)
- Staff member, upon entering the building in the early evening, notices two people on top of the roof. Two undergraduate students had gotten to the roof through a hatch located in the library's main stairwell which was unlocked. RUPD speaks with the students. (Mon, 9/17/12)
- Undergraduate student falls on stairs coming down from the second floor. EMS arrives promptly and takes student to hospital for further evaluation. (Tues, 9/11/12)
- Laptop stolen from student who leaves it unattended at second floor carrel. Two students leaving briskly, one carrying a laptop which fits the description given, had been noticed earlier by the supervisor and a work study student. Description of the two suspects is given to RUPD. Security cameras at the library provide a clear picture as does the security camera at the adjacent Livingston Dining Commons where the same two young men immediately went and appear on camera with another laptop which is reported stolen from a student there. Security cameras record the vehicle that the suspects leave in after both thefts. They are subsequently arrested by RUPD. (Fri, 10/5/12)
Library of Science and Medicine
- Nine year old boy approaches the circulation desk saying he cannot find his father. Boy says his father had dropped him off over an hour ago to attend a meeting in another building. RUPD responds; one officer stays with the boy, the other gets the father and brings him over to the library. RUPD explains to the father that leaving his son unattended in the library is not an acceptable solution and that he had put his son at risk leaving him unattended in a public place. RUPD tells the library supervisor that the family would be paid a visit by a professional counselor. (Fri, 8/17/12)
- Condenser unit leaks, floods the inside of the ceiling and dumps water on the floor of the Electronic Classroom (3rd floor) when someone sets the thermostat to 50 degrees Fahrenheit. Part of the ceiling collapses and needs to be replaced; all PCs are in working condition. Facilities will place a lockbox on the thermostat. (Tues, 9/4/12)
4) Information Sharing
Joyce W (Dana)-New security video cameras have been installed. There is a guard stationed on the first floor.
Brian S (Alexander)-Because of water leaking, sections of stacks in the PTs and Zs are covered in plastic. The bicycle lending
program has been well received.
Nita M (Chang)-Chang's group study room is popular; it can be reserved for a 3-hour period.
Ramon (Douglass)-Weeding has been progressing on the lower level, A through PN. All three group study rooms have been heavily used.
Kristen K (Art)-The same banned individual who had been spotted at Alexander and removed from there had been coming to Art.
Mike M (Physics and Chemistry)-Physics Library was closed for two weeks to allow for the complete replacement of the ceiling and