Minutes of January 31, 2013 Meeting
- Zohreh Bonianian, Eric Fizur, Kristen Ko, Barry Lipinski (coordinator, recorder), Eugene McElroy, Dean Meister, Nita Mukherjee, Ramon Negron, Gill Newton, Brian Stubbs, Joyce Watson
- Shirley Lewis, Theresa Macklin, Mike Mansouri, Jan Reinhart
- Access Services Committee Updates
- Midyear Review of ASC and CPSG Goals/Activities
- Emergency Safety and Lockdown Procedures RUPD Presentation
- Incident Reports
Correction to the attendance of the October 18, 2012 meeting: Gill Newton was present.
1) Access Services Committee Updates
- 029 Delinquent Accounts List for RUL was reduced by 2,000 users; pre-yr2000 holds were removed; user records and bills will be removed from Symphony.
- Customer Services Webinar—held in Alexander Library’s Pane Room on January 10th, the webinar received positive reviews; its emphasis was on using positive language.
- Scanners have been upgraded by Imaging Sevices; nice new feature is jobs can now be sent directly to OIT lab printers; some scanners also have scan to fax capability and a scan to mobile phone feature.
- Rose Barbalace reported that the Student Coordinating Group, which she coordinates, will using LibGuides for training information for student workers.
- Within the next year, it is expected that students will need a password to use their resource course e-reserves.
- UNDNJ Updates—planning to merge catalogs by July 1, 2013; patron file feeds are being examined now.
2) Midyear Review of ASC and CPSG Goals/Activities
The group reviewed the Access Services Action Plan for 2012-2013. Still on the group’s to do list is working with Integrated
Information Systems to develop a service that sends text messages. Another initiative for the group is to revamp the claims return
3) Emergency Safety and Lockdown Procedures RUPD Presentation
Officer Rich McGilvery offered an excellent presentation on January 16, 2013 in Alexander Library’s SCC. He discussed RUPD’s
Emergency Action Plan and Active Shooter Information:
4) Incident Reports
Since the October 18, 2013 CPSG Meeting, there have been 33 more Incident Reports. The reports a wave of 12 laptops, one IPhone, a
one IPad thefts at Alexander in December 2012. As of January 31, 2013, 14 laptops have been stolen in 2012-2013. RUPD Chief Kenneth
Cop’s email to all members of the Rutgers Community on January 25, 2013 in the wake of the Newtown tragedy discussed the Emergency
Action Plan and additionally said the following about maintaining awareness in public places: “Portable electronic equipment (e.g.,
laptops and cell-phones) left unattended in libraries and student centers are particularly vulnerable to theft.”
- Laptop stolen from basement level Periodicals Room when student leaves it unattended for approximately one hour. (Sun, 11/4/12)
- Two students get stuck in the new wing elevator (#4) near the circulation desk; RUPD and Emergency Services arrive within 10 minutes and enable students to get safely out of the elevator. (Sat, 11/10/12)
- Non-Rutgers man is observed masturbating at a computer workstation in the Reference Room; RUPD arrives and arrests him based on an outstanding warrant. (Tues, 11/13/12)
- Graffiti regarding 9/11 reappears in first floor new wing men’s restroom. A suspect is spotted and spoken to by RUPD. (Wed, 11/14/12)
- Both elevator #4 and the glass elevator do not work. (Sun, 11/18/12)
- Female student reports that she has been harassed by a man while studying on the second floor; RUPD arrives but cannot find the man. (Sun, 11/18/12)
- Laptop stolen from UGRAD Reading Room when student leaves it unattended to use the restroom. (Sun, 12/2/12)
- Laptop stolen from stacks 2B study carrel when a student leaves it unattended to use the restroom. (Mon, 12/3/12)
- Laptop stolen from stacks 2B study carrel again when a student leaves her book bag, containing the laptop, unattended. (Thurs, 12/6/12)
- Man exhibits threatening behavior toward an employee; RUPD arrives and speaks with man. (Thurs, 12/6/12)
- Laptop stolen from table in Government Documents area when student leaves it unattended to go outside to smoke. (Mon, 12/10/12)
- Laptop stolen from carrel on 2A when the student leaves it unattended, also to go outside to smoke. (Mon, 12/10/12)
- Non-Rutgers elderly man using crutches falls in Reference Room; EMTs arrive within 15 minutes. (Tues, 12/11/12)
- Laptop stolen from student sitting in the Scarlet Café when student leaves the area to use the restroom; student had asked another student to watch his belongings; that student observed someone sit down at the table and pack up the laptop. (Tues, 12/11/12)
- Laptop stolen from student who leaves it unattended for seven minutes in the UGRAD Reading Room; book bag and books were not taken. (Wed, 12/12/12)
- Laptop stolen from 2A carrel when student leaves it unattended for 20 minutes. (Wed, 12/12/12)
- IPad stolen from backpack when left unattended in the UGRAD Reading Room. (Wed, 12/12/12)
- Laptop stolen from student who leaves it unattended in the Government Documents area. (Fri, 12/14/12)
- Toilet overflows in the 3rd floor women’s restroom. (Sun, 12/16/12)
- Urinal overflows in the 1st floor new wing men’s restroom. (Sun, 12/16/12)
- IPad stolen from 2B carrel when student leaves area; friend gives description of suspect-man with dirty ash blond hair and a blue baseball bat. (Sun, 12/16/12)
- Laptop stolen from student who leaves it unattended in Scarlet café to search for a book in stacks; concurrently, another student reports a suspicious person looking through her friend’s personal belongings who, when observed, runs away. (Sun, 12/16/12)
- Man wandering first floor and staring at students, who report it to supervisor; RUPD talks with the man. (Tues, 12/18/12)
- Man reports to supervisor that another man is viewing child pornography at a public computer; RUPD speak with the man and conclude that he has not been viewing child pornography. (Thurs, 1/17/13)
- Student reports that her bag was taken from the computer she was using in the Electronic Resources Room when she went to the OIT computer lab in the undergraduate room to collect her print job; when she returns to the computer and finds her bag missing she notes that a young man is staring at her; RUPD takes the report and asks supervisor who was logged into the computer the woman saw the man using; supervisor explains to the officer that she would need a warrant to obtain that information. (Tues, 1/22/13)
- Non-Rutgers user complains to staff member that someone must have taken his print job; later he says to staff member that the printer needs toner; staff member checks the printer and it is full of toner and printing properly. (Thurs, 12/6/12)
- Foran doors found locked at 5 pm when library is scheduled to be open until 10 pm; employees are able to open library when someone leaves the building; Foran Hall Building Administrator notified. (Tues, 1/22/13)
- Student sets off exit security alarm and a vandalized Douglass Library book is found in his possession. (Wed, 10/17/12)
- Student sets off exit security alarm and a Douglass Library magazine is found in her possession. (Sun, 10/21/12)
- Upon closing, a student is discovered sitting on the floor of the women’s restroom on the 2nd level; she tells supervisor her campus housing is out of power and heating. (Sun, 11/4/12)
- Laptop stolen from main floor table when student leaves it unattended to use the restroom. (Fri, 12/14/12)
- Student reports to supervisor that several items (Casio electronic translator, computer charger, cell-phone charger, clear pencil case, green paper notebook, and printed papers) were missing from her 2nd floor carrel when she left the building for 3 hours and 45 minutes; next day, student reports to staff member that all items were returned to her by a person (male) she did not know who came to her class, gave her the items, saying “this belongs to you” and then left the classroom; student was advised to report this further unusual development to RUPD.
Library of Science and Medicine
- Patron suffers a seizure in the stacks adjacent to the 2nd floor computer lab; EMT arrives within 6 minutes and user is taken to Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital. (Mon, 11/5/12)
- Slight smell of smoke in the library; RUPD does not find any issues in building and concludes the smell is coming from outside the building. (Tues, 11/27/12)