Minutes of February 19, 2004 meeting
- Ray Balter, May Chin, Megan Doyle, Marc Forster, Priscilla Lee, Michele Tokar(recorder), Will Torres, Nicole Warren, Paul Young
- Sal Cardinale, Dave Warner
- Welcome and Farewell to Members
- Goals for the Current Fiscal Year
- Goals for the Upcoming Fiscal Year
- Information Sharing
1. Welcome and Farewell to Members
The group welcomed new members: May Chin and Ray Balter.
Mike Mansouri and Roselyn Riley have departed from the CFG. They will be working with other
Training is set for the 24th and 26th of February. The group was asked to give their last
minute opinions and suggestions regarding the training. The group talked about the slides and
format. Members of the group suggested that they would like to see the following talked
about: Spouse and Retiree privileges and Duplicate users (in addition to other categories of
In correlation with the training: the CFG has decided to create a file of FAQs. There are
already some preliminary FAQs on the NBL access webpage. They are available under
http://nbl/, Access Services, Functional Groups, Documentation (under Circulation).
3. Goals for the Current Fiscal Year 2003-2004
- One of the primary goals was to develop training for this fiscal year. Training was derived from the Circulation Survey. The Circulation Survey materialized as a desire to quantify the need for training. The training was designed to be the catalyst for ongoing training for the department. Hopefully the group can look at establishing training throughout the year within each unit. One idea is to have ongoing training at staff meetings. (See details under "Goals for the Upcoming Fiscal Year" below).
- Circulation Manual: The circulation manual is nearly ready for publication. Once the final stages of editing are complete, the group will look it over, and a link for the manual will be placed on the NBL webpage. The manual will be available for use online or can printed out and placed in a notebook. The manual will be especially useful for new employees and a good refresher for veterans of the Access department.
- Borrower's chart as a searchable database. This is being prepared by Nicole Warren in Access and will hopefully work as a desktop feature of any circulation desk computer. This can be viewed on the Chang T drive, under VOL1/Groups/Common/CircDocs/RUL Borrowers' Chart 97.
- Documentation: To create more documentation for all staff to use as a reference tool
- Worked collaboratively with User Database Management team
4. Goals for the Upcoming Fiscal Year 2004-2005
- Documentation: Continue to create more documentation for the webpage.
- FAQs: Create a tip of the week for the webpage or a bimonthly mailing of a tip and FAQ to the Access/Collection Listserv.
- Training: Provide training in each unit during staff meetings or at allocated times. Training could be rotated between staff members in their area of expertise and would take place at all units. The same topic would be covered at each unit at the same time.
- Welcome Notebook for Access/Collection Services: Create a notebook that would describe the department and all the functions to a new staff member. This notebook would be comprehensive but mainly an overview of the department and all its functions. This would involve participation from all the functional groups.
5. Information Sharing
Collection Management team finished the shift in Reference
Alexander library was caught in the blackout on College Avenue.
Normal semester workload
Megan is working on two large projects both involving Flash: one for the circulation training and one for the Douglass Library involving the creation of a digital map.
Access staff will move to their new location upstairs in March; Nita is now the RDS coordinator; Mike Mansouri is now working at SERC; Chiaki is doing RDS.
The administrative assistant did an inventory of the furniture and repair needs for the building.
Michele and Kristi did an inventory of the furniture in the building and an inventory of the status of facilities maintenance in the building. Elevator needs work.
The two big projects in the building are Weeding and the Special Collections room.
Next Meeting - Thursday, March 18th