Minutes of April 29, 2004 meeting
- Ray Balter, May Chin, Megan Doyle, Marc Forster, Priscilla Lee, Michele Tokar(recorder), Will Torres, Dave Warner, Nicole Warren, Paul Young
- Sal Cardinale
- Systems Issues
- Circulation Manual
- FAQ Page
- RDS Web Document Delivery
- Information Sharing
1. Systems Issues
- Distance Learners and Borrowing Privileges - Students participating in one of the distance learning courses through Rutgers are eligible for borrowing privileges. However, they must have an online record in WorkFlows to prove their affiliation with the University. If they are not online, we can ask the student to talk with their professor or program director. The Professor or program director will then contact the registrar/RU Connection office.
- Alumni records vs other dataloaded records - Alumni records are now loaded in the database for a year after a student graduates. The alumni category will override some other type of dataloads such as type 8 part time TA's or researchers.
This has recently caused some problems in WorkFlows records. Staff should be aware of this if they update a patron record to Faculty Staff and it reverts back to alumni. The only way to fix this is to alter the SSN since this is coming in through the tapeload. A suggestion is to add an x in parenthesis after the SSN to differentiate from RA cards.
- Beeping on Discharge - Michele will call systems to find out about sound cards in PC's. The sound card may help to alert staff to the difference between a regular discharge and an in-transit discharge.
2. Circulation Manual
The Circulation Manual was passed around for review by the CFG. The manual still requires some
more editing. The manual will also be placed online as a web document. This is probably the best
way to view and update the manual since there are constant upgrades to WorkFlows.
3. FAQ Page
Michele would like the group to offer more suggestions for the FAQ page. The group still agrees
that an e-mail sent out every two weeks would be a good option.
4. RDS Web Document Delivery
Beginning June 1st, the Web Document Delivery Service will begin. All staff working at the
circulation desk should be aware of the following:
- In order to request articles within the Rutgers University Libraries all users will need to set up deposit accounts for a minimum of $30.00. This can be done at Alex and LSM imaging services in person (requests for articles from Camden, Dana, and the Annex will be free to the New Brunswick campuses).
- All users will need to have an updated and accurate e-mail account.
- The Pub-note field in WorkFlows will show the balance a person has in their deposit account. Staff at the circulation desk will not alter this. This is done through the imaging services department.
- Off site locations such as Haskin Shellfish will not be charged.
- Unused money in the deposit account will be refunded only if they ask for it. Refunds are not done automatically.
- Rutgers Libraries missing pages requests will be processed without the use of a deposit account.
- The Branch libraries will make photocopies of articles and send them to Alex ILS for conversion and scanning.
- Daryl from imaging services will answer all Ask a Librarian questions about Web Doc Delivery.
5. Information Sharing
- - Busy with book returns.
- - The building is now wireless. New version of Ariel is causing complications.
- - Grand opening is May 17th.
- - Furniture repair is still on-going for the entire building.
- - Working on a furniture move in the Access and ILS department in LSM. The building is now wireless.
Next Meeting - TBA (date will be changed due to graduation)