Minutes of May 27, 2004 meeting
- Ray Balter, Sal Cardinale, May Chin, Megan Doyle, Priscilla Lee, Michele Tokar(recorder), Will Torres, Dave Warner, Nicole Warren, Paul Young
- Marc Forster
- Summer Session Patron Records
- Suspension of Loading Alumni Records Over the Summer
- Special Programs and Library Privileges
- Review of Web Document Delivery: What You Should Know at the Circ Desk
- How Do RAs Deal With Web Document Delivery and Establishing an Account
- Circulation Manual and FAQs
- Information Sharing
The group reviewed two policies regarding patron records for the summer that were sent out by
central access services. These were: Summer Session/Patron records and Suspension of loading
alumni records over the summer.
1. Summer Session Patron Records
We will only load records for students enrolled in summer session. All other Rutgers
University students will not be loaded during the summer. If a Rutgers student is not
registered for summer classes, but they wish to change their e-mail address, we will change
it for them in WorkFlows, but they still need to change it online in the Rutgers Online
Directory. Circulation staff should do this for all students during the summer regardless if
they are in summer session or not. This way there is no confusion between different types of
2. Suspension of Loading Alumni Records Over the Summer
Alumni records will not be loaded during the summer. The reason for this is that recent
alumni who are now enrolled as graduate students keep reverting back to alumni in WorkFlows.
The alumni status takes precedence over grad in these records in WorkFlows. This happened to
nearly 200 Grad records. We will change records back to Grad/Grad this summer over the phone,
via AAL or at the circulation desk. It is not necessary to have the person come to library in
person or provide proof of status.
3. Special Programs and Library Privileges
Any non-Rutgers student in a Rutgers summer program/internship that is grant funded can get
borrowing privileges. The instructor, however, must first supply a class roster to library
administration including SSN and lengths and dates of the program. The instructor can write
directly to Judy Gardner.
4. Review of Web Document Delivery: What You Should Know at the Circ Desk
The group reviewed the web document delivery instructions and how this new procedure would
affect operations at the circ desk. The group reviewed the list again from the last CFG
meeting. Beginning June 1st, all staff working at the circulation desk should be aware of the
- In order to request articles within the Rutgers University Libraries, all users and departments will need to set up deposit accounts for a minimum of $30.00. This can be done through Alex and LSM imaging services (requests for articles from Camden, Dana, and the Annex will be free to the New Brunswick campuses).
- All users will need to have an updated and accurate e-mail account.
- The Pub note field in WorkFlows will show the balance a person has in their deposit account. Staff at the circulation desk will not alter this. This is done through the imaging services department.
- Off site locations such as Haskin Shellfish will not be charged.
- Unused money in the deposit account will be refunded only if they ask for it. Refunds are not done automatically.
- Rutgers Libraries missing pages requests will be processed without the use of a deposit account.
- The Branch libraries will make photocopies of articles and send them to Alex ILS for conversion and scanning.
- Daryl from imaging services will answer all Ask a Librarian questions about Web Doc Delivery.
5. How Do RAs Deal With Web Document Delivery and Establishing an Account
Preferably, RA's should ask their instructor to set up a departmental account. Documents will
be e-mailed to the RA and not to the instructor.
6. Circulation Manual and FAQs
The circulation Manual is still being worked on. Again, Nicole has done an excellent job of
compiling the CFG's work into the manual. The FAQs are in process.
Michele asked the group if they would like to re-establish the contact list for Access
Services. This list which was used in the past was a director of staff in the Access
department, if they worked in the daytime or evening and their area of expertise. The evening
shift workers said this would be extremely helpful.
8. Information Sharing
- - Working on the inventory project, preparing for the removal of spring reserves.
- - Removing 430 books from the reference section of Chemistry. The records will be withdrawn online and then physically removed from the shelves.
- Collection Services:
- - ACM cleanup at Math library. Reviewing inventory project. CS had extra money in the bindery account, so they are sending out materials to be bound.
- - May 17th was the official opening of the Douglass Library, and the completion of phase 1 of D21.
- - Consolidating shelves for maps and atlases on the 1st floor. Furniture is still being repaired.
- - Dave Warner filling in at Math. There was a big flood at LSM. Materials and computers were fine, although the building was shut down for 1/2 a day. Weeded over 15,000 items. Special Collection Inventory near final stages of completion.
Next Meeting - Thursday, June 17th, 2:30pm
MINUTES RECORDED BY: Michele Tokar