Minutes of June 12, 2002 meeting
- D. Bush, M. Gadek, M. Herod, M. Katz, R, Krack, C. Lee, A. Martinez, S. Peck, M. Spaventa, and J. Teichmann.
- M. Brodman (SL), E. McElroy, A. Ortiz, and N. Reichardt (SL)
Jeff Teichmann called the meeting to order at 1:00 P.M.
Megan Ingegno was introduced. Megan has taken on CM responsibilities at LSM and was 'visiting' the
meeting. (Megan has been officially added to the group)
Jeff reported on a small water emergency encountered in BB (lower basement) at Alex the previous week.
Gov't Documents stored in boxes were damaged when water leaked out of the HVAC system. The group
discussed the situation and recommended any materials stored should be kept up off the floor, perhaps
on pallets. Jeff will inquire with Imaging Services to see if pallets are available.
CS User status check
- The CS-USER seems to be working fine with the exception of Douglass. Mary Gadek reported problems with books being returned from Alex - CS. When books are discharged at Douglass they are put In-transit to Alex. J. Teichmann and C. Sterback from the Systems Department are working to correct this. (Note - This has been corrected, but there are still some items that may be problematic due to the original charge)
- The CS-USERs have received their first recalls - items have been repaired and sent on to the patrons within the allotted recall time frame.
- Roger and Jeff will take care of the renewal of items charged to the CS-USERs when the term loan dates change.
CM FG manual
- The group discussed the progress made thus far on the manual. Rob will collect all finished portions of the manual and assemble them in a single format. Roger has offered to help make the manual 'web' ready.
- The remaining portions of the manual will be distributed as soon as Rob has determined what portions are not complete or in a final format.
July 2002 meeting - Penny has invited the CMFG to tour the RECAP facility in Princeton. The date for
the trip is July 24, 2002. (Billing FG and CMFG are switching meeting days for July)
Collection Management FG Roster was distributed member of the group for necessary additions and
corrections. R. Smith and M. Katz made changes to their email addresses.
Copies of the draft of the Annual Report were distributed. The report was briefly discussed and the
group was asked to forward any further comments to Mary and Jeff.
CM Statistics were discussed. With the Annual Report, yearly statistics are reported and it seems not
all units are reporting the same statistics on a timely basis despite the effort placed on statistics
collection by this group two years ago. Jeff and Matt will work on getting statistics collection back
on track. Jeff will poll the units to determine what statistics are collected and Matt will produce
worksheets where the statistics can be reported and compiled on an ongoing basis.
Open house 6/26 - The group discussed the upcoming Access Services Open House Program on June 26th.
Andy is representing the group in the presentation portion of the program. The group discussed what
materials to use in the 'booth' portion of the program. Rob will gather the materials and will use his
workstation to set up our display.
Year-end missing book reports and lost/paid/replaced reports should be coming soon. Dean Meister is
still in the process of getting information needed to produce the In-transit report and supply the
group with instructions to complete this project. Jeff and Mary will meet with Dean to determine what
is necessary to get these reports rolling on schedule.
Mary and Jeff did an on-site tour of the renovations to the Annex. They found the new shelving to be
unsafe. New shelves were beginning to bow after just a day after books had been placed on them. Nuts
and bolts were not secured properly and could easily be turned with the touch of a toe. Recommendations
were to have the installers back to make necessary adjustments to ensure the safety of personnel. (Note
- all nuts and bolts were tightened. Stress tests were performed on the shelving to determine why they
were bowing. The shelving failed the stress tests and will be replaced.)
- Chris - Preparing for the Annex to re-open to the public. Measuring and moving items back that needed to be moved for the renovation work. Chris indicates he would like to plan for an inventory or shelf reading of the Annex in the near future.
- Marilyn - Doing some small shifts due to closed periodical titles.
- LSM (Megan, Marty, and Roger) Two journal titles are waiting to be pulled, boxed and shipped to Africa via Thelma Tate's program. Methods in Enzymology, currently housed in the circulating collection will be moved to the periodical collection. Roger and Megan are working on a space study of the periodical collection in preparation for a shift. Megan is also working on updating CM documents for LSM.
- Andy - Currently working on measuring the bound periodicals collection in preparation for a shift.
- Matt - working on weeding and transferring titles from Dglss to other NBL units. Some items are being boxed for Thelma's program.
- ALEX (Rob, Shirley, Diarl) - There has been a higher number of in-process books as of late. The ED-LAB collection, original filed by subject, publisher and grad level has been integrated into one A-Z collection. A small shift is being done ion the periodical collection. Problems continue on Floor 2A with patrons hiding personal materials in the stacks.
Action Items (to be completed or reported on for next meeting)
- Contact Imaging Services to inquire about pallets (JT)
- Collect all completed portions of manual and format in same style (RK)
- Determine which parts of the manual are to be completed and make sure assigned people are working to complete these sections (RK/JT)
- Poll units to determine what statistics are being kept on a regular basis. Produce new statistics worksheets to collect them in a central place. (JT/MS)
- Meet with Dean Meister to determine what is necessary to produce regular in-transit reports (MCG/JT)