Minutes of September 11, 2002 meeting
- D. Bush, M. Brodman, M. Gadek, M. Herod, M. Ingegno, E. McElroy, A. Martinez, S. Peck, N. Reichardt, M. Spaventa, J. Teichmann, and D. Wilson.
- R, Krack, M. Katz, N. Warren
Jeff Teichmann called the meeting to order at 2:00 P.M.
- Jeff reviewed the staffing changes within NBAS.
- The group welcomed new members: Stacy DeMatteo (Annex), Megan Doyle (Chemistry), Don Wilson (Kilmer).
- The group also bids farewell to past members: Asuncion Ortiz and Christopher Lee. We wish them well in their new duties.
The manual is in the final draft stage. A subcommittee consisting of: Mary Brodman, Megan Doyle,
Shirley Peck and Matt Spaventa will meet to approve the final draft. When completed the draft will be
distributed to all NBL units in paper and CD formats. In addition, Roger will format the document for
web use and it will be posted on the NBAS web site.
Collection Management Statistics
Statistics files for each NBL unit have been prepared for the new fiscal year, customized to each
unit's specification, and filed on the DGLSS T-drive for access. Staff new to CM or units will look over
the statistics files and let either Jeff or Matt know if they need any further customization.
Annex Transfer Project
With the renovations to the Annex nearing completion, a project was begun over the summer to begin
weeding NBL collections and transferring last copies (in RUL system) to the Annex. In addition, with the
D21 project proceeding at Douglass, the collection there was heavily weeded and many items earmarked for
the Annex. At this time, items requested for transfer to the Annex are being checked to determine last
copy status and when the shelving is ready they will be coded and placed on the shelves.
Preservation Information Projects
Mary Brodman brought forward a new project for the group to embark on once the manual is finished and
distributed. The group should design a display outlining the effects of food and drink on our
collections. While this is not a new idea, it has been awhile since such a display was done. We could
design a 'movable' display in that it could travel between the larger units (space permitting) on a
monthly basis. In this manner it would remain 'fresh' to the patrons passing through the unit and not
become 'old and tired'. Also, the group had worked up a bookmark describing the problems food and drink
can cause to our collections, but it never appeared as a bookmark of the libraries. Mary and Jeff will
investigate these ideas with Farideh.
Long-overdue In-transit items
- We need to determine who has no completed searching the in-transit lists. All must be searched and handled in the appropriate manner before new lists can be produced. Jeff will poll the recipients to check on status.
- In working with the in-transit lists, the problem of double charges (on to in-transit - one to a patron) have resurfaced. The group came up with the following as possible solutions which Jeff and Mary will forward to ASC:
- Backdate a discharge prior to the date and time of the charge to the patron.
- Discharge and recharge to patron - modify the charge date to the original charge to the patron.
- Discharge and recharge to patron - add a note to the patron record detailing the transaction.
- Can systems do a 'selective' discharge?
- Nick - Working on Shift of Alex. Gov. Docs collection.
- Don - New students arriving and keeping up with shelving.
- Stacy - Getting acclimated to the annex, may need help with numerous items being received from other units.
- Megan D - Chemistry is busy, shelves are tight (no room to shift).
- Eugene - Waiting for new periodical shelving to be installed, renovations going well.
- Roger - Waiting for Thelma Tate's boxes to be picked-up from LSM Spec. Collection Room, Instructing Branch Managers in Collection Management issues.
- Matt - Training students in shifting of microfilm collection from upstairs to downstairs in preparation for D21 renovations.
- Andy - Math has been changing the REF PER collection to REF (both on the shelves, which required shifting, and in IRIS) over the summer. Now that the project is complete, new range guides are being made.
- Marilyn - Getting used to being assigned to Art, looking forward to working at the Annex.
Action Items (to be completed or reported on for next meeting)
- Discuss with Farideh the possibility of Preservation / food and drink displays (JT/MCG)
- Review final draft of CM manual and recommend distribution (MB, SP, MD, MS)
- Present problem and solution to double charge in-transit items to ASC (JT/MCG)