Minutes of December 11, 2002 meeting
- M. Brodman, D. Bush, S. DeMatteo M. Doyle, M. Gadek(recorder), M. Herod, M. Ingegno, M. Katz, R. Krack, E. Moore, S. Peck, N. Reichardt, M. Spaventa, E. Suarez, J. Teichmann, N. Warren, and D. Wilson
- R. Smith
- A. Martinez, E. McElroy
- The group welcomed Erika Moore (Art Library) and Eddie Suarez (LSM) to the group.
- Jeff announced that Amy Vecchione resigned her position at Alexander due to personal reasons.
- Mary announced that Mike Mansouri has been hired for the LAII position at Douglass. He is scheduled to start Jan.2, 2003.
- Members of the CM GROUP investigated water leaks at the Annex, plastic bins were placed to catch the water, and plastic sheeting was used to cover the collection. A hot water pipe broke which resulted in a water problem in the basement of Alexander that affected the Special Collections area.
- CM Manual: Another meeting will be scheduled by M. Brodman to continue the final revision of the manual.
- Preservation: Kristen St. John will speak at the March meeting regarding preservation techniques and provide information on methods to help protect and preserve our existing collections.
- Water Emergency Supplies: Members notified Mary of items needed and those items that have been depleted and need to be replaced.
- At the suggestion of the CM Manual sub-group, the group is looking into standardizing the LC call number test. We have standardized many of our training methods and a standard test would help assure our entire CM staff is trained properly. Also a review of shelving and shelf reading forms will be made. Mary B., Matt, Nicole W. and Megan D. will be the sub-committee to review these items.
- Water Emergency Demo: The group will conduct a water emergency presentation in the Pane Room at Alexander Library on January 16, 2003. Stacy recommended that better pictures are needed for the funneling of water section of the presentation. She explained that in viewing the presentation it is difficult to determine how to build a funnel based on the present pictures. As better pictures become available they will be substituted. Jeff explained the purpose of this demonstration to the new members of the group. Erika has volunteered to narrate the presentation. The water emergency demonstration can be found on all library T-Drives in the NB Coll Mgmt folders in the folder labeled Demos. Group members will meet at 9:30am to set-up for this event.
- Douglass Renovations: With the closing of some portions of the Douglass Library eminent, the need for a relocation of some parts of the collection is necessary at this time. Much of the collection will need to be measured and moved to either temporary or new locations. Jeff is on the D21 Renovation committee to represent the CMFG. Rob will be the lead CMFG person to manage the moving of the collection. Assisting with the project will be Nick, Matt, Eddie, Mary Brodman and various voucher employees from Douglass and Alexander. Any other group members are encouraged to volunteer their assistance as time and other duties permit. This is a wonderful learning opportunity. The project will begin shortly and need to be finished by March 1, 2003 when the renovations are scheduled to commence.
- Collection Services: Farideh, Jeff and Mary will be meeting with collections services staff to discuss and clarify issues including: bindery concerns, Annex issues, and transfers between NBL units.
Nick - Still awaiting input from documents librarians regarding necessary shifts. Otherwise, all is well with Gov't Docs.
Marty - Numbers of in-process books are up, and is still concerned that material type is not listed on In-Transit reports. (Jeff has addressed this issue with Dean. The program does not include this field on the reports).
Megan I. - Physics Library is operating smoothly.
Marilyn - Adjusted to working alone at the Annex while Stacey was on vacation.
Diarl - Fun time of the year, peak time for returning books. Circ desk very busy discharging books.
Erika - Art Library has leaks in basement.
Eddie - Shelves are overflowing, returned books cannot fit back on shelves - need to do a shift.
Rob - Nice to be back. Will be starting on the measuring of shelves soon.
Stacy - Shelf reading is now in progress at this time. 400 vols have been entered into the computer. There have been 60 leaks in the past two weeks.
Don - TSB has sent a lot of re-labeling. Don had to call RUPD to assist with unruly patrons.
Mary B. - Going crazy with thousands of books for shelving.
Megan D. - Shifting project postponed till January. Chemistry Department still uncertain where Beilstein collection will go.
Nicole - A shift was needed at Chang to accommodate eleven hundred items.
Light refreshments followed the meeting.
Water Emergency Presentation, Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 9:30am, to set-up for 10:30 start.
After the presentation we will have a pizza lunch and our January meeting.
Location - Pane Room, Alexander Library