STAFF RESOURCES

Minutes of June 14, 2006 meeting

Present:
Andy Martinez, Alex Arencibia, Mary Brodman, Krista Dandurand, Megan Ingegno, Martin Katz, Robert Krack, Irina Loutchkina, Bill Lynch, Sandy Marsh, Eugene McElroy, Holly Muller, Shirley Peck, Roselyn Riley, Melanie Robinson, Brian Stubbs, Jeff Teichmann, Penny Weniger, Paul Young
Absent:
Dean Meister (excused), Eddie Suarez (excused), Melody Tomaszewicz (excused)

Agenda

INFORMATION SHARING (Entire Group, 1:00 - 1:30 pm)

Andy Martinez/NBL: Andy introduced Bill Lynch as a new CMG member from the Douglass Library. Please contact Bill if you have any CM questions for the Douglass Library.
Dean Meister from the Libraries Annex will be leaving the group starting July 2006, as he will become the co-coordinator of the Circulation Group. The group thanks Dean for all the work that he has done for the group and the insightful comments that he has added to our discussions.
Starting, July 1st, Collection Services will no longer be part of Access Services. Collection Services will report to Grace Agnew and the new name will be Distributed Technical Services.

Alex Arencibia/Dana: Alex reported that he is about half way done with the shift of the Bound Periodical Collection.

Mary Brodman/Alexander: Mary reported that the search for moldy items in the collections at Alexander continues. So far, about 2,000 moldy items have been removed from the collection; 852 items from the McDonnell gift collection and 1,083 items from the stacks collection. 283 total hours have been spent searching for mold, reducing other collection management activities except for shelving. Moldy items are boxed up, with McDonnell items remedied to remove the mold and the other items withdrawn or remedied, according to selector's decisions.

Krista Dandurand/Kilmer: Krista reported that certain tax related material at Kilmer was discarded. Reference staff are still working on an inventory of the microfilm collection to see what is duplicated and can be withdrawn.

Megan Ingegno/Physics: Megan reported that she is completing the prep work for a shift of the collections in her library.

Martin Katz/LSM: Marty reported that his work on "in-process" items has increased, due to an increase to two trucks of in-process items delivered to him per week.

Robert Krack/Alexander: Rob reported on his work with identifying moldy items in the Alexander collections. He reported finding mold on books that looks like "foxing". Also reported that the searching is spreading to other call number ranges in the collection, as they are finding mold in sections that were not considered for searching in the past. He reported that as full and part time staff are trained to notice mold, they are finding it in the collection as they shelve and shelf read. Rob volunteered to work on updating the Mold Awareness Tutorial with additional pictures from moldy items recently found.

Irina Loutchkina/Alexander: Irina reported working on reserves for the summer session and helping out with "in-process" items.

Bill Lynch/Douglass: Bill reported that after the shift of the Bound Periodical Collection was completed, approximately 40 volumes of a periodical title were located in the old Technical Services Area. These volumes will have to be shifted into the collection.

Sandy Marsh/Robeson: Sandy reported continued work on the inventory at Robeson She mentioned the possibility of shifting collections again, which involves moving books from one floor to another (Moving J & K up to main level). This will allow for much need space down stairs. Sandy reported that the NJ Doc has been withdrawn from the library. She is also working on discarding some periodicals from the collection.

Eugene McElroy/SMLR: Eugene reported that work is being done on cataloging donated workers comp information given to Rutgers by Dr. John Burton, a retired SMLR Dean.

Holly Muller/LSM: Holly reported that the LSM Weeding Project and mini-shift of the Bound Periodical Collection (third floor) are on schedule.

Shirley Peck/Alexander: Shirley reported that "in-process" items have increased.

Roselyn Riley/Art: Roselyn reported that she has been shelving the end of year returns. She is also assisting with the inventory of the Art Library collections.

Melanie Robinson/Math: Melanie reported that she is working on a project to weed/transfer items from the Reference Collection at Math.

Jeff Teichmann/Alexander: Jeff reported that he has sent out a list of possible McDonnell items to other RUL libraries, asking them to check the condition of their copies. If a copy is found in good condition, funds will not be spent to remedy the moldy copy. He is working with his staff to develop a plan to randomly check 5% of each collection on each floor to find out how many items have been affected by mold. He reported that so far this summer, the HVAC system at Alexander has been working well.

Penny Weniger/Douglass: Penny reported that the shift of the Ground Level Collections (Stacks and Periodical Collections) has been completed. A walking tour of the collections for any who may be interested is being planned for June 28, 2006 at 10 am at Douglass Library.

Paul Young/Alexander & LSM: Paul reported that for the Gov/Docs at Alexander, the 1990-1996 Federal Registers have been withdrawn from the collection. That information is available on microfiche. For LSM Gov. Docs., he is reviewing the Code of Federal Regulations from ALEX to see if any can be used to fill in the collection.

REVIEW OF SHIFTING STATISTICS TEMPLATE FOR 2006/2007

The group discussed the shifting statistics template and the possibility of adding the shifting statistics page to the collection management statistics stored on the Douglass T-drive. The general format of the template was approved. After some discussion, it was decided to add a field for a reason code, explaining the reason that the shift was performed. Jeff volunteered to come up with a draft of shifting reason codes for the group to review. Also, the first/last call number heading will be revised to also included periodical title and range number. As a reminder, only (mini) shifts of one section or more will be recorded on this form.

REVIEW OF 2005/2006 ANNUAL GOALS

The group discussed the annual goals for 2005/2006 that were listed in the CMG mid-year report. The group agreed on the goals that were completed for this fiscal year, the goals that were still in-process, and the goals that have not been started yet. The majority of the annual goals for 2005/2006 are currently in-process, with several completed during this fiscal year.

As a continuation of this conversation, the group discussed possible goals for the 2006/2007 fiscal year. Many of the 2005/2006 goals will be continued into the new fiscal year. New goals for the 2006/2007 fiscal year will include specific shifting and weeding projects, new projects based on Workflow reports, and the revision of our "in-process" statistics and procedures. Andy will send out a copy of the 2005/2006 annual goals and possible 2006/2007 annual goals for the group to review and comment on.

Some additional comments from this discussion:

REVIEW OF 2005/2006 COLLECTION MANAGEMENT STATISTICS

Andy asked the group to review the collection management statistics for fiscal year 2005/2006, stored on the Douglass t-drive. Please make sure that all statistics are entered by Wednesday, 7/5. As part of your review, please make sure to analyze the numbers that you have entered, making sure to correct any incorrect numbers. Also, please make sure that the time that you have entered across the different worksheets is consistent, either quarter hours or tenths of an hour.

For the 2006/2007 collection management statistics, we will be adding a worksheet tracking our shifting work. Also, statistics for our quarterly missing book reports will separated from the Miscellaneous Searches on that worksheet.

UPDATE FROM FLOOR PLAN SUB-GROUP

Penny reported that the sub-group is moving forward with its plans to create paper floor plans for each of the NBL libraries. The main unit on each campus has been completed, so the sub-group will now work on gathering information for the NBL branches.

The following agenda items will be tabled until the next meeting:

ACTION LIST

NEXT MEETING

Date: Wednesday, July 12, 2006
Time: 1:00 - 3:00 pm
Location: Pane Room, Alexander Library, CAC
Satellite Location(s):
- Dana Library, Electronic Classroom II, Newark Campus
- Camden Library, Conference Room 290, Camden Campus



 
URL: http://www.libraries.rutgers.edu/rul/staff/groups/collection_mgt_group/minutes/collection_mgt_group_06_06_14.shtml
Website Feedback  |  Privacy Policy

© Copyright 1997-2013, Rutgers University Libraries   (Further Copyright Information)