STAFF RESOURCES

Minutes of January 9, 2008 meeting

Present:
Andy Martinez (Coordinator), Alex Arencibia, Mary Brodman, Caroline Caviness (Guest), Kimberly Kaiser, Rob Krack, Bill Lynch, Eugene McElroy, L Melanie Miller (Recorder), Shirley Peck, Brian Stubbs, Eddie Suarez, Jeff Teichmann, Melody Tomaszewicz, Penny Weniger, Paul Young
Excused:
Roselyn Riley, Teresa McNally.

Information Sharing (2:30 – 3:00pm)

Andy Martinez (Coordinator): Andy reported that the water emergency supplies are in. He also reported that he will be working on the aged in-process report the following week and will send a report to those libraries with a report. Andy introduced Caroline Caviness, the SCILS Intern, to the group as a guest for this meeting.

Brian Stubbs (Alexander): Brian reported that the water emergency supplies at Alexander have been moved to a new location.

Shirley Peck (Alexander): Shirley reported that she has been working on a gift collection that has been remediated. It is the Father Brown series that is either in Latin or French. There are 15 items to put on the shelf.

Mary Brodman (Alexander): Mary reported that she is working on shift of the collection on 2A, identifying oversize items in the Stacks Collection, and getting them re-cataloged to the Folio Collection. This should create more space in the Stacks Collection. The proper size for the Folio Collection at the Alexander Library is 30 cm while the Elephant Folio Collection is anything over 45 cm.

Penny Weniger (Douglass): Penny reported that there is extra shelving available at Douglass and that there is a new staff person.

Melody Tomaszewicz. (CS-LSM): Melody reported that they had started moving a thesis collection from LSM to the Chang Library, there are approximately 23 Shelves with 50 items per shelf, which equals an approximate total of 950 items. 200 items have been processed and shipped so far. Melody also reported that the LSM weeding continues and that they are processing approximately 250 a month.

Jeff Teichmann (Alexander): Jeff reported that there is a new staff member at Alexander whose name is Stephanie Mikitish.

L Melanie Miller (Math): Melanie reported that she is working on reserves for the spring semester and shelving many returns.

Bill Lynch (Douglass): Bill reported that they have caught up on shelving and is working on new “in- process” items.

Eddie Suarez (LSM): Eddie reported that there are temporary shelving shelves for the Periodical Collection and Folio Collection on the 3rd floor on the back wall. The shift of the Stacks Collection is currently up to the QP’s.

Paul Young (Alexander/LSM): Paul reported on a shift of the US COM CD collection at LSM on the 2nd floor. Paul reported that he is working on the ASI microfiche at Alexander.

Kimberly Kaiser (Kilmer): Kim reported she is working on withdrawing microfiche documents from the collection and boxing them to send to other libraries.

Robert Krack (Alexander): Rob reported that the shifting of the Stacks Collection on Level 2A continues.

Eugene McElroy (SMLR): Eugene reported that the library has been very quiet and that there is a new director named Donna Schulman.

Alex Arencibia (Dana): Alex reported that returns are being re-shelved and that Periodical Collection shift continues.

REVIEW OF SHELF READING PROCEDURES - KIM

Kim discussed how she conducts shelf reading at Kilmer Library. She divided the library into different section that needed to be shelf read often. She chose the following breakdown:

  1. Career
  2. Reference
  3. H’s Business
  4. The fourth and fifth sections where broken down between the remaining stacks areas.

She created separate sheets for each section and chose specific colors them. Kim stated that each section should be read at least two to three times a week.

During group discussion several questions arose:

  1. Can using this procedure reduce the number of missing books?
  2. Can larger libraries use this by only reading those areas that are heavily used, and if they use it would it decrease the number of missing items reported?

Andy stated that he is going to figure out the high use sections using Directors’ Station and send it to the 4 main units. Andy also requested that we shelf read at least once a week (preferably more).

DVD of 3M RFID

The group was going to view a DVD of the 3M RFID system but ran into technical problems. Instead, the group discussed the pros and cons of radio frequency identification system. A quote from the 3M site is located below:

RFID 101 Four Reasons for a Library to Invest in RFID Technology and Three Reasons to Wait. http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/library/home/resources/case_studies/rfid_101/

RFID is Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) technology is an investment for libraries. To decide if the rewards justify making this investment, library management must look at the benefits, and the cost to install such a system. When a library uses RFID books and other materials move out of the library faster with RFID. Using a self-service system and RFID, customers can check out multiple items at once. This means they spend less time waiting in line at the self-service station or the circulation desk. When RFID technology is combined with automated materials handling systems, it can also speed the process for getting CD, DVDs, videotapes and books—including frequently checked-out best sellers—back on the shelves where customers can use them. And those items are more likely to be shelved accurately, which increases customer convenience and reduces frustration. For many customers, the greatest benefit comes from more interaction with the library staff. When librarians spend less time on routine physical tasks, they can pay more attention to the needs of customers.

Most security systems are heading towards RFID systems and are slowly phasing out the tattle-tape security systems.

DISCUSSION ON FLOOR MAP CASES

Andy reported that map cases have been purchased for LSM to display information to patrons. They will be attached to a wall situated by the stairs. The group discussed the map cases in use at Alexander and what they contain. Some suggestions about what to put in the cases at LSM include the locations of elevators, restrooms and stairs, in addition to a breakdown of the collection by floor.

A group member suggested that a "you are here" spot be included on the map. The suggestion was made that other library documents be displayed, for example the missing book document, no food sign and covered drink sign. The group agreed that a few important items needs to be considered:

  1. Visual consistency
  2. Call number breakdown
  3. Keep it fresh and colorful
  4. Short and to the point

STATUS REPORT ON CMG DOCUMENTATION

Mary Brodman is going to work on the revising the Water Emergency Demonstration PowerPoint.

Paul Young is going to present a SuDoc classification list at the next meeting.

Brian Stubbs presented a draft of the shelving guidelines. The group discussed and reviewed the document and Brian will make changes pursuant to the discussion.

Next Meeting:

Date: Wednesday, February 13, 2008
Time: 2:30 – 4:30 pm
Location(s): TBA



 
URL: http://www.libraries.rutgers.edu/rul/staff/groups/collection_mgt_group/minutes/collection_mgt_group_08_01_09.shtml
Website Feedback  |  Privacy Policy

© Copyright 1997-2013, Rutgers University Libraries   (Further Copyright Information)